• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PBS - Open carry a growing movement in California

Maurice

No holstered handguns permitted in California starting 2012

A deputy sheriff in San Diego County, California recently informed law abiding gun owners that no holstered handguns will be permitted beginning January 1st, 2012. I just checked and discovered that California Assembly Bill 144 was passed by the state Senate on September 8, 2011 and signed into law by Governor Schwartzenegger.

I am outraged by this, especially since I live in a rural area where snakes and other dangerous animals abound. If I cannot quickly defend myself, my family and friends against such attacks, then we will become defenseless. But, most importantly, is the violation of our Constitutional rights to own and bear arms. The government may feel that it is necessary to protect the people from assault weapons, but I cannot understand how there is any justification for preventing law abiding citizens from openly carrying an unloaded pistol in a holster. Is there any way to prevent this law from taking effect?

Maurice Osborn

Born2Lose

A deputy sheriff in San Diego County, California recently informed law abiding gun owners that no holstered handguns will be permitted beginning January 1st, 2012. I just checked and discovered that California Assembly Bill 144 was passed by the state Senate on September 8, 2011 and signed into law by Governor Schwartzenegger.

I am outraged by this, especially since I live in a rural area where snakes and other dangerous animals abound. If I cannot quickly defend myself, my family and friends against such attacks, then we will become defenseless. But, most importantly, is the violation of our Constitutional rights to own and bear arms. The government may feel that it is necessary to protect the people from assault weapons, but I cannot understand how there is any justification for preventing law abiding citizens from openly carrying an unloaded pistol in a holster. Is there any way to prevent this law from taking effect?

Maurice Osborn
It doesn't affect current legal loaded open carry in unincorporated areas.

Sent from behind enemy lines using a Commodore 64.

Maurice

I will check that out.

I will check that out. I have been told that there may be a way to repeal the open carry ban law with a citizens initiative ballot process and that there may be others who would support this effort. I am open to all options to restore our constitutional rights.

Maurice

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Maurice Osborn

You need to pass this on to the Calguns Foundation. As has already been indicated, even after January 1st 2012, there will be nothing illegal about carrying an exposed firearm in unincorporated territory where discharge has not been prohibited. The deputy should be corrected on the scope of the law and where it applies.

This law was NOT signed by Arnold Schwartzenegger- but by our current governor Jerry Brown.