Thread: Am I open carrying?

Am I open carrying?

I recently purchased a remington 870 and i'm not sure about the legality of taking it shooting. I am 19 years old, and the age to open carry in washington is 21. So basically my question is if i take my shotgun shooting on private land am I technically open carrying?

IANAL, but private land is governed by completely different rules than public. You would be fine, assuming you have permission of the owner. You do need to know about how to transfer it there legally.

You would probably get better answers to your questions in the Washington forum.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfusion116 View Post
    I recently purchased a remington 870 and i'm not sure about the legality of taking it shooting. I am 19 years old, and the age to open carry in washington is 21. So basically my question is if i take my shotgun shooting on private land am I technically open carrying?
    "Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area."
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

Make sure that you abide by all laws in transporting the long gun to and from the private property.

OCDO is primarily focused on OC of properly holstered handguns, not the carry of long guns.

"(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry."
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Is there some reason your Remington 870 is considered a pistol? If it is fitted with a shoulder stock, the 21 age limit does not apply:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240
    I get it now! No pistols until I'm 21. Just a silly misunderstanding on my part. However, this leads to even more questions!!! I'll go hit up the washington forum... thanks for the responses!

"(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry."
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules"

Oops, I'm sorry! Stupid noobie won't read the *** damn rules!

I'll come back when i'm 21 and open carrying, or when I decide to move to Idaho!
    Last edited by coldfusion116; 09-05-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Banned
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules"

Oops, I'm sorry! Stupid noobie won't read the *** damn rules!

I'll come back when i'm 21 and open carrying, or when I decide to move to Idaho!
    Please stick around. Learn all you can about OC prior to your 21st birthday. Spend the intervening time preparing yourself to OC at 21--and enjoying the company of good folk.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Please stick around. Learn all you can about OC prior to your 21st birthday. Spend the intervening time preparing yourself to OC at 21--and enjoying the company of good folk.
    +1

Keep in mind that if you travel at all to other states, many allow OC at 18 years of age
    http://www.opencarry.org/age.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

thanks for being so helpful and welcoming! and yes i can OC in idaho! We're going to hike 5ish miles into a national forest and camp for a few nights. I want to borrow my dad's glock so i can oc. I'll give them a call to be sure but does anyone see anything illegal in me borrowing my father's glock and taking it across state lines?
    apologies if i'm off topic

thanks for being so helpful and welcoming! and yes i can OC in idaho! We're going to hike 5ish miles into a national forest and camp for a few nights. I want to borrow my dad's glock so i can oc. I'll give them a call to be sure but does anyone see anything illegal in me borrowing my father's glock and taking it across state lines?
    apologies if i'm off topic
    Unless you are in a state that requires you to register a gun to a permit (NY) then it does not matter who's gun you are wearing, as long as it was not obtained illegally.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--