• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I open carrying?

coldfusion116

I recently purchased a remington 870 and i'm not sure about the legality of taking it shooting. I am 19 years old, and the age to open carry in washington is 21. So basically my question is if i take my shotgun shooting on private land am I technically open carrying?

sultan62

IANAL, but private land is governed by completely different rules than public. You would be fine, assuming you have permission of the owner. You do need to know about how to transfer it there legally.

You would probably get better answers to your questions in the Washington forum.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I recently purchased a remington 870 and i'm not sure about the legality of taking it shooting. I am 19 years old, and the age to open carry in washington is 21. So basically my question is if i take my shotgun shooting on private land am I technically open carrying?

"Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area."
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

Make sure that you abide by all laws in transporting the long gun to and from the private property.

OCDO is primarily focused on OC of properly holstered handguns, not the carry of long guns.

"(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry."
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

coldfusion116

Is there some reason your Remington 870 is considered a pistol? If it is fitted with a shoulder stock, the 21 age limit does not apply:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240

I get it now! No pistols until I'm 21. Just a silly misunderstanding on my part. However, this leads to even more questions!!! I'll go hit up the washington forum... thanks for the responses!

coldfusion116

"(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry."
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules"

Oops, I'm sorry! Stupid noobie won't read the *** damn rules!

I'll come back when i'm 21 and open carrying, or when I decide to move to Idaho!

Last edited:

eye95

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules"

Oops, I'm sorry! Stupid noobie won't read the *** damn rules!

I'll come back when i'm 21 and open carrying, or when I decide to move to Idaho!

Please stick around. Learn all you can about OC prior to your 21st birthday. Spend the intervening time preparing yourself to OC at 21--and enjoying the company of good folk.

coldfusion116

thanks for being so helpful and welcoming! and yes i can OC in idaho! We're going to hike 5ish miles into a national forest and camp for a few nights. I want to borrow my dad's glock so i can oc. I'll give them a call to be sure but does anyone see anything illegal in me borrowing my father's glock and taking it across state lines?
apologies if i'm off topic

MatieA

thanks for being so helpful and welcoming! and yes i can OC in idaho! We're going to hike 5ish miles into a national forest and camp for a few nights. I want to borrow my dad's glock so i can oc. I'll give them a call to be sure but does anyone see anything illegal in me borrowing my father's glock and taking it across state lines?
apologies if i'm off topic

Unless you are in a state that requires you to register a gun to a permit (NY) then it does not matter who's gun you are wearing, as long as it was not obtained illegally.