• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Prohibited in Bonnie Springs

Nevada carrier

So my girlfriend and I went to Bonnie Springs for a guided horse back tour and to have a look around the little makeshift old west town. Before we entered, the "Sheriff," with a gun on his hip himself, informed me that firearms are prohibited. He wen't into his whole diatribe about how kids are always trying to grab for his gun, to which I replied, "thats a good way to get a broken arm and a skull fracture." Then he just looked at me after telling me all the reasons they are prohibited and asked "Now does that make sense?" to which I replied "No, it doesn't." I told him since this trip was my girlfriend's idea that I would put it in the car, but it was for her benefit, not theirs. Had it not been for that I would have just left and not given them the benefit of my business.

Please keep this in mind if anyone is ever considering a trip out there.

BionicJumpy

I have carry at Bonnie springs 3 times in the last month 1/2. horse back riding or just to take my kids in the train raid. Talked with that "sherif" watched that bad show, but non one ever said anything

Las Vegan

I guess it's good that I didn't see this sooner. I went out to Bonnie Springs for the first time yesterday. I wore jeans and a long sleeved shirt, and I open carried on my belt. No one said a word, but I didn't do too much walking around. I just parked, ate at the restaurant, and then left.

When I was leaving I did see the person with whom you spoke, stopping all of the cars waiting to park and talking with the drivers. He was standing in the middle of the narrow road, so I had to wait for him to move so that I didn't smack him with my side view mirror. He was wearing a revolver low off of his hip, and it was hanging far out from his body. It struck me as a very irresponsible way to wear a firearm at a place with so many children running around.

I guess he should have been telling everyone, "If you carry a firearm here, don't do it like me."

Remmy

I would have to agree, albeit they are loaded with blank rounds, or they are props like Hollywood cap guns. But thats defeating the purpose of view a gun as loaded always until you verify visually and physically it is unloaded.

I went there last summer and had a good time.

Nevada carrier

I had a good time too, but they ensured that I will find some other place to spend my money to have a good time in the future. Looking back on the whole thing, I should have replied to the Marshal, "This aint Dodge City, and you aint Wyatt Earp." Perhaps with a red sash worn around my waist.

Remmy

Yeah, personally Id go back but how often does one really go to a place like this? I know flame away for spending money at a place that doesnt allow weapons to each is own.

AmbushBug

I would have to agree, albeit they are loaded with blank rounds, or they are props like Hollywood cap guns.

The handguns they use are presently prop guns, as of a couple visits I made late last year with family & friends. In the 80's to at least the early 90's, however, black powder percussion-cap revolvers were used, loaded with small charges (10 or 15 grains) and (according to one 'cowboy') topped with cotton wadding and Crisco. I wanted all the details when I was about 13...

paintsnow

After the black powder revolvers, they used 45 caliber revolvers, with blanks in them. I picked quite a few of them up when i was younger, and was always asking the cowboys for fresh, just fired ones that weren't stomped to crap.

They used to show kids how even the blank would put a serious hole in a coffee can when it was held close.

That was when the shows were actually good.

I actually worked there last year around Halloween time, when a company came in to turn the place into a haunted house. I worked for the haunted house, but we were running all over town setting up, and some of the actors were working at night as well. The shows sucked when I was walking by, there was very few customers, looked like a ghost town, not full of people and kids all over town like when i was little.

And at least at that point, they were using .22 revolvers with blanks.
The holsters do have a loop of leather that goes over the hammer though, and that is an effective retention method.

And i had the .22 revolver held point blank to my leg while it was fired. Felt like a warm puff of air through my jeans.

They still have the .45 revolvers, from what i was told its insurance issues preventing them from using them at shows. Maybe they got it worked out by now?