Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can't carry loaded?

You can't carry loaded?

I was talking to a person at the gun range who stated you can open carry in Michigan but the gun can't be loaded. Is this true?

Not true!!!

I call bull ****. In these situations tell said person to cite you an MCL.

Not only can it be loaded, you can have one in the pipe.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    That's in California (unloaded open carry) not in Michigan.

What range?

Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    That's in California (unloaded open carry) not in Michigan.

What range?
    and even the california ruling doesnt apply to counties with less than 250,000 persons.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Sounds like another bad firearms instructor. When I went through the CPL course the instructor who was a retired police officer stated that if you open carried in a holster it was considered brandishing. He went on to say that your gun must be concealed at all times and that the only possible time you could get away with open carry was if you bent over and your shirt came above your firearm. Anything else was considered brandishing and a criminal offense.

Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    Sounds like another bad firearms instructor. When I went through the CPL course the instructor who was a retired police officer stated that if you open carried in a holster it was considered brandishing. He went on to say that your gun must be concealed at all times and that the only possible time you could get away with open carry was if you bent over and your shirt came above your firearm. Anything else was considered brandishing and a criminal offense.
    Honestly, if this is true, the instructor needs to be educated if possible. If they are unwilling to learn IMHO they need to be reported to the NRA or MCOLES, which ever one they received their instructors certification through.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    Honestly, if this is true, the instructor needs to be educated if possible. If they are unwilling to learn IMHO they need to be reported to the NRA or MCOLES, which ever one they received their instructors certification through.
    Guys...

He said "a person" not an employee or instructor at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    Guys...

He said "a person" not an employee or instructor at the range.
    "Sounds like another bad firearms instructor. When I went through the CPL course the instructor who was a retired police officer stated that if you open carried in a holster it was considered brandishing. He went on to say that your gun must be concealed at all times and that the only possible time you could get away with open carry was if you bent over and your shirt came above your firearm. Anything else was considered brandishing and a criminal offense."

Sprinkler was talking about the above quote, not the OP's post.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    I went through the class in 2005, so at the time I thought this was correct info. It was only later after reading the various laws several times and doing research on the web that I found out open carry was legal.

there is always someone who doesn't OC who apparently knows everything about OC, I always listen to the guys at gas stations and wal-mart that say "HEY! you a cop? if not you can't do that!" never have heard the unloaded firearm one in Michigan yet, but I have heard "hey you can't carry around a fake gun like that!" it's good for the lawls.

Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    I went through the class in 2005, so at the time I thought this was correct info. It was only later after reading the various laws several times and doing research on the web that I found out open carry was legal.
    That's understandable since OC didn't really catch on until the last few years. Back in 2005, what you were told may well have been the case. Thanks to some people who decided to make a difference, "times they are a changin. "

Quote Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes View Post
    there is always someone who doesn't OC who apparently knows everything about OC, I always listen to the guys at gas stations and wal-mart that say "HEY! you a cop? if not you can't do that!" never have heard the unloaded firearm one in Michigan yet, but I have heard "hey you can't carry around a fake gun like that!" it's good for the lawls.
    This is what we get when people keep hearing from the media about California's situation re. OC.

It's the way the media reports it because they simply don't get the facts straight before running the story. They just try to get the basics, and aren't too concerned with the rest.

Didn't happen like that when we were at Hastings, so one might ask what is so different now.

My CPL instructor,in 05', was firearms trainer to Detroit PD.Officer Lessnau did a great job and instructed on CPL only,there was no mention of OC at all,otherwise I would have educated the class at that time.I've known OC to be legal since 85',when I recieved my FFL and asked the sheriffs in Lenawee,Monroe,Wayne and Washtenaw counties.They said yes.2out of the 4 said "but if granny calls,we'll have to show up with guns drawn to find out what you're up to!" They had illegal attitudes back then too!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Yeah sorry. No it was just some ******* that was shooting at the same time I was. He was telling everybody around this nonsense. I didn't think it was true but hey ya never know lol. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by botleader View Post
    I was talking to a person at the gun range who stated you can open carry in Michigan but the gun can't be loaded. Is this true?
    California has uoc. North dakota too if you dont have a permit.

Open Carry would not nearly be so 'big' in Michigan if we weren't able to carry loaded..

Though I feel for California and support their efforts to join the rest of the union when it comes to gun rights, I have no interest in carrying a $700 paper weight on my hip. If it isn't loaded, and can't be used for its intended purpose, it serves no purpose to me.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    .....If it isn't loaded, and can't be used for its intended purpose, it serves no purpose to me.
    You can throw your loaded magazines at the perp and if he gets close you can use the butt end of your gun like a hammer.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
    California has uoc. North dakota too if you dont have a permit.
    And in ND, you can only OC during the day...
    Last edited by DrTodd; 09-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    And in ND, you can only OC during the day...
    That's almost equally as useless as most violent crimes occur at night.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I think the "unloaded" thing started making the rounds after the Starbucks issue hit the news. More than a few people I've run into thought unloaded OC was nationwide. I corrected them on that little mistake.

And since no thread is complete without a picture, here's my latest acquistion:
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Big Gay AL......

I have a pair of these. Love them. Very accurate. I did change the mags out with Wilson Combat units.....The Org. ones (Novak) worked fine but I just have more confi. in the Wilson stuff.
    ‎"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent1 View Post
    I have a pair of these. Love them. Very accurate. I did change the mags out with Wilson Combat units.....The Org. ones (Novak) worked fine but I just have more confi. in the Wilson stuff.
    They come with Act-Mag magazines now. Not that I can see a difference. I took the picture above with a Chip McCormick Shooting Star mag in it.
    Big Gay Al

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    They come with Act-Mag magazines now. Not that I can see a difference. I took the picture above with a Chip McCormick Shooting Star mag in it.
    I've had really good luck with the McCormick mags. Watch Midway because they'll put 'em on sale every so often.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I've had really good luck with the McCormick mags. Watch Midway because they'll put 'em on sale every so often.

Bronson
    My luck has been hit or miss. Some of them don't always trip the slide stop after the last shot, and that has me really curious as to why. But they seem to feed pretty well. What I like is the flush fit, yet it still holds 8 rounds, just like the Act-Mag does.
    Big Gay Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast