• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You can't carry loaded?

TheQ

I call bull ****. In these situations tell said person to cite you an MCL.

Not only can it be loaded, you can have one in the pipe.

budlight

Sounds like another bad firearms instructor. When I went through the CPL course the instructor who was a retired police officer stated that if you open carried in a holster it was considered brandishing. He went on to say that your gun must be concealed at all times and that the only possible time you could get away with open carry was if you bent over and your shirt came above your firearm. Anything else was considered brandishing and a criminal offense.

sprinklerguy28

Sounds like another bad firearms instructor. When I went through the CPL course the instructor who was a retired police officer stated that if you open carried in a holster it was considered brandishing. He went on to say that your gun must be concealed at all times and that the only possible time you could get away with open carry was if you bent over and your shirt came above your firearm. Anything else was considered brandishing and a criminal offense.

Honestly, if this is true, the instructor needs to be educated if possible. If they are unwilling to learn IMHO they need to be reported to the NRA or MCOLES, which ever one they received their instructors certification through.

scot623

Guys...

He said "a person" not an employee or instructor at the range.

"Sounds like another bad firearms instructor. When I went through the CPL course the instructor who was a retired police officer stated that if you open carried in a holster it was considered brandishing. He went on to say that your gun must be concealed at all times and that the only possible time you could get away with open carry was if you bent over and your shirt came above your firearm. Anything else was considered brandishing and a criminal offense."

Sprinkler was talking about the above quote, not the OP's post.

budlight

Honestly, if this is true, the instructor needs to be educated if possible. If they are unwilling to learn IMHO they need to be reported to the NRA or MCOLES, which ever one they received their instructors certification through.

I went through the class in 2005, so at the time I thought this was correct info. It was only later after reading the various laws several times and doing research on the web that I found out open carry was legal.

kyleplusitunes

there is always someone who doesn't OC who apparently knows everything about OC, I always listen to the guys at gas stations and wal-mart that say "HEY! you a cop? if not you can't do that!" never have heard the unloaded firearm one in Michigan yet, but I have heard "hey you can't carry around a fake gun like that!" it's good for the lawls.

ghostrider

I went through the class in 2005, so at the time I thought this was correct info. It was only later after reading the various laws several times and doing research on the web that I found out open carry was legal.

That's understandable since OC didn't really catch on until the last few years. Back in 2005, what you were told may well have been the case. Thanks to some people who decided to make a difference, "times they are a changin. "

ghostrider

there is always someone who doesn't OC who apparently knows everything about OC, I always listen to the guys at gas stations and wal-mart that say "HEY! you a cop? if not you can't do that!" never have heard the unloaded firearm one in Michigan yet, but I have heard "hey you can't carry around a fake gun like that!" it's good for the lawls.

This is what we get when people keep hearing from the media about California's situation re. OC.

It's the way the media reports it because they simply don't get the facts straight before running the story. They just try to get the basics, and aren't too concerned with the rest.

Didn't happen like that when we were at Hastings, so one might ask what is so different now.

Haman J.T.

My CPL instructor,in 05', was firearms trainer to Detroit PD.Officer Lessnau did a great job and instructed on CPL only,there was no mention of OC at all,otherwise I would have educated the class at that time.I've known OC to be legal since 85',when I recieved my FFL and asked the sheriffs in Lenawee,Monroe,Wayne and Washtenaw counties.They said yes.2out of the 4 said "but if granny calls,we'll have to show up with guns drawn to find out what you're up to!" They had illegal attitudes back then too!

botleader

Yeah sorry. No it was just some jackass that was shooting at the same time I was. He was telling everybody around this nonsense. I didn't think it was true but hey ya never know lol. Thanks guys.

malignity

Open Carry would not nearly be so 'big' in Michigan if we weren't able to carry loaded..

Though I feel for California and support their efforts to join the rest of the union when it comes to gun rights, I have no interest in carrying a $700 paper weight on my hip. If it isn't loaded, and can't be used for its intended purpose, it serves no purpose to me.