Thread: MI "pistol" advice needed please.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Question MI "pistol" advice needed please.

I bought a shotgun in a private sale. This was a cash deal from a family member so I know the gun is "clean". Do I have to have a bill of sale to register it? I want to put a pistol grip on it which will bring the overall length to approximately 29 inches. So I will need to register it as a pistol then correct? If so can I do it at a MSP post? My local PD is useless when it comes to these types of things (very restricted hours) Tues-Fri 8am to noon, & Wayne Co. Sheriffs don't do anything like this that I know of?

My other option is to put a telescoping stock on it that even reduced fully is still 30+ inches. This is a HD shotgun so it will rarely ever leave the house [range/gunsmith etc., maybe an OC chili cook-off?]. I just want to make sure "johnny law" is happy with it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you have a CPL you don't need to go to local PD. Just fill out the RI-60 and mail it to them.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

MSP will not do purchase permits unfortunately, and as we know Waco Sheriff's doesn't either since the townships now do their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    If you have a CPL you don't need to go to local PD. Just fill out the RI-60 and mail it to them.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Bronson
    +1

I took a Ruger 10/22 and made it into a Michigan Pistol. I simply filled out the RI-60 (since I have a CPL) with myself as Buyer and Seller and dropped it off at my Local Police Department.

If after modification your firearm is less than 29" (you need to measure with stock folded), then complete RI-060 if you have CPL. You will put your name in both, Purchaser and Seller section of the document and mail to your local PD. It does not matter if your local PD is useless or not. Local PD is required to process your RI-060 by Law. I would use USPS with delivery confirmation. Also, after about one months, go to your PD and ask for pistol registration record. They must give it to you by Law. Must is a key word here. They can charge up to $1 for it.

If you do not have CPL, than obtain Purchase Permit from your local PD. Again, they must give it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sasha601 View Post
    If after modification your firearm is less than 29" (you need to measure with stock folded), then complete RI-060 if you have CPL. You will put your name in both, Purchaser and Seller section of the document and mail to your local PD. It does not matter if your local PD is useless or not. Local PD is required to process your RI-060 by Law. I would use USPS with delivery confirmation. Also, after about one months, go to your PD and ask for pistol registration record. They must give it to you by Law. Must is a key word here. They can charge up to $1 for it.

If you do not have CPL, than obtain Purchase Permit from your local PD. Again, they must give it to you.
    I meant to say 'less than 30". Sorry.

Thanks guys ;)

Thanks for the info. Gents!

Thumbs up To close the thread here's my solution & my HDSG

I installed a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing stock that makes it very short yet still longer than 30".

Loaded with the Centurion 00 Buck I have a 11 round Shotgun (10+1). Not too shabby

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM822-5.html

Is that a Mossberg 590 Persuader 9 Shot? Do the 2 inch shells work well in it?

I must admit, I never considered using such small shells in a shotgun to have more rounds. What a great idea! Learn something new everyday...

Instead of 2 3/4 inch it's 2 inch, so my question is how will repeated rounds affect the chamber where it becomes the barrel there is a difference in size in many shotguns all be it subtle. Could repeated rounds cause erosion or damage to that area where the chamber and barrel meet? I like the idea for close range work like the house or a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post

I installed a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing stock that makes it very short yet still longer than 30".

Loaded with the Centurion 00 Buck I have a 11 round Shotgun (10+1). Not too shabby

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM822-5.html
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

I would suggest getting rid of the heat shield, then moving the light back far enough that you can push and spin the tail cap while still grasping the forearm stock.

Aside from making it more easy to use, it will also protect the lens of the flashlight from the concussion of shotgun blasts.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

C'mon, now I want to go buy a shotgun in addition to a pocket-pistol.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    C'mon, now I want to go buy a shotgun in addition to a pocket-pistol.
    Dunhams has Mossberg 500 Shottys for just under $300. It usually includes 2 barrels, 1 smoothbore 24-26" and 1 rifled 24" with scope mount and scope.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Dunhams has Mossberg 500 Shottys for just under $300. It usually includes 2 barrels, 1 smoothbore 24-26" and 1 rifled 24" with scope mount and scope.
    Guns galore in Fenton tends to have 200 dollar ish deals on used shotguns.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Is that a Mossberg 590 Persuader 9 Shot? Do the 2 inch shells work well in it?

I must admit, I never considered using such small shells in a shotgun to have more rounds. What a great idea! Learn something new everyday...
    Yep - Persuader w/full length magazine tube from the factory. The short shells give me an extra 2 shells normal is 8+1. The recoil is "by feel" 60-70% of a standard 00 round. They function flawlessly in this & my Remington 870. I have no idea about other shotguns in particular semi-autos?
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 09-08-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I would suggest getting rid of the heat shield, then moving the light back far enough that you can push and spin the tail cap while still grasping the forearm stock.

Aside from making it more easy to use, it will also protect the lens of the flashlight from the concussion of shotgun blasts.
    Thanks MI, - I had just mounted the light & was looking for the "grip" tape. My experience with my other shotgun was the plastic ATI clamps don't have enough "bite" & will travel otherwise. The light I use has grooves machined in the lens housing that when brought back as you suggest mate with the shell tube perfectly Not bad for $17 @ Sam's & it is brighter than most tactical lights[low-middle end mods.] on the market. In that position I can engage it with the index finger of my pump hand simple point on point off motion.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 09-08-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    Instead of 2 3/4 inch it's 2 inch, so my question is how will repeated rounds affect the chamber where it becomes the barrel there is a difference in size in many shotguns all be it subtle. Could repeated rounds cause erosion or damage to that area where the chamber and barrel meet? I like the idea for close range work like the house or a shop.
    Good point Bailenforcer. I don't know to be honest & will have to research. I would assume that since shotguns are lower pressure by nature that this "may not" be an issue. Hell, I've seen shotguns made out of galvanized water pipe [Kids don't try this at home..it is not safe] that didn't bulge or burst, so I think mild use of these would be ok?

Good point Bailenforcer. I don't know to be honest & will have to research. I would assume that since shotguns are lower pressure by nature that this "may not" be an issue. Hell, I've seen shotguns made out of galvanized water pipe [Kids don't try this at home..it is not safe] that didn't bulge or burst, so I think mild use of these would be ok?
    Correct me if I am wrong, But I believe that the 590, as well as the 500, has a 3" chamber and the 2 3/4" rounds work fine in it also. 2" rounds act no differently other then less recoil and less pellet set back in the chamber.
    ‎"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent1 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, But I believe that the 590, as well as the 500, has a 3" chamber and the 2 3/4" rounds work fine in it also. 2" rounds act no differently other then less recoil and less pellet set back in the chamber.
    +1 Yep you nailed it in my opinion But as I am no "shotgun technical senior fellow"....

This might be a good place to go and ask some questions...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php?c=4

This might be a good place to go and ask some questions...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php?c=4
    As always, thanks PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post

Nah, I think I'd just replace the flashlight with a bayonet.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Nah, I think I'd just replace the flashlight with a bayonet.
    Well that would get in the way of the M203 Grenade launcher I've got coming in the mail...just kidding.

By the way the Mossberg 590A1 does have a bayonet lug for mount one on it.

Well that would get in the way of the M203 Grenade launcher I've got coming in the mail...just kidding.

By the way the Mossberg 590A1 does have a bayonet lug for mount one on it.
    Given your new Avatar, I thought it should have a banana launcher on it

Thumbs up Good one PD

Quote Originally Posted by pdindetroit View Post
    given your new avatar, i thought it should have a banana launcher on it
    lmao~!!!