• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MI "pistol" advice needed please.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I bought a shotgun in a private sale. This was a cash deal from a family member so I know the gun is "clean". Do I have to have a bill of sale to register it? I want to put a pistol grip on it which will bring the overall length to approximately 29 inches. So I will need to register it as a pistol then correct? If so can I do it at a MSP post? My local PD is useless when it comes to these types of things (very restricted hours) Tues-Fri 8am to noon, & Wayne Co. Sheriffs don't do anything like this that I know of?

My other option is to put a telescoping stock on it that even reduced fully is still 30+ inches. This is a HD shotgun so it will rarely ever leave the house [range/gunsmith etc., maybe an OC chili cook-off?]. I just want to make sure "johnny law" is happy with it. ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

sprinklerguy28

MSP will not do purchase permits unfortunately, and as we know Waco Sheriff's doesn't either since the townships now do their own.

sasha601

If after modification your firearm is less than 29" (you need to measure with stock folded), then complete RI-060 if you have CPL. You will put your name in both, Purchaser and Seller section of the document and mail to your local PD. It does not matter if your local PD is useless or not. Local PD is required to process your RI-060 by Law. I would use USPS with delivery confirmation. Also, after about one months, go to your PD and ask for pistol registration record. They must give it to you by Law. Must is a key word here. They can charge up to $1 for it.

If you do not have CPL, than obtain Purchase Permit from your local PD. Again, they must give it to you.

sasha601

If after modification your firearm is less than 29" (you need to measure with stock folded), then complete RI-060 if you have CPL. You will put your name in both, Purchaser and Seller section of the document and mail to your local PD. It does not matter if your local PD is useless or not. Local PD is required to process your RI-060 by Law. I would use USPS with delivery confirmation. Also, after about one months, go to your PD and ask for pistol registration record. They must give it to you by Law. Must is a key word here. They can charge up to $1 for it.

If you do not have CPL, than obtain Purchase Permit from your local PD. Again, they must give it to you.

I meant to say 'less than 30". Sorry.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
To close the thread here's my solution & my HDSG

HDSG_sw.jpg

2in00.jpg

I installed a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing stock that makes it very short yet still longer than 30".

Loaded with the Centurion 00 Buck I have a 11 round Shotgun (10+1). Not too shabby ;)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM822-5.html

PDinDetroit

Is that a Mossberg 590 Persuader 9 Shot? Do the 2 inch shells work well in it?

I must admit, I never considered using such small shells in a shotgun to have more rounds. What a great idea! Learn something new everyday...

Bailenforcer

Instead of 2 3/4 inch it's 2 inch, so my question is how will repeated rounds affect the chamber where it becomes the barrel there is a difference in size in many shotguns all be it subtle. Could repeated rounds cause erosion or damage to that area where the chamber and barrel meet? I like the idea for close range work like the house or a shop.

HDSG_sw.jpg

2in00.jpg

I installed a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing stock that makes it very short yet still longer than 30".

Loaded with the Centurion 00 Buck I have a 11 round Shotgun (10+1). Not too shabby ;)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM822-5.html

Michigander

I would suggest getting rid of the heat shield, then moving the light back far enough that you can push and spin the tail cap while still grasping the forearm stock.

Aside from making it more easy to use, it will also protect the lens of the flashlight from the concussion of shotgun blasts.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Is that a Mossberg 590 Persuader 9 Shot? Do the 2 inch shells work well in it?

I must admit, I never considered using such small shells in a shotgun to have more rounds. What a great idea! Learn something new everyday...

Yep - Persuader w/full length magazine tube from the factory. The short shells give me an extra 2 shells normal is 8+1. The recoil is "by feel" 60-70% of a standard 00 round. They function flawlessly in this & my Remington 870. I have no idea about other shotguns in particular semi-autos?

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I would suggest getting rid of the heat shield, then moving the light back far enough that you can push and spin the tail cap while still grasping the forearm stock.

Aside from making it more easy to use, it will also protect the lens of the flashlight from the concussion of shotgun blasts.

Thanks MI, - I had just mounted the light & was looking for the "grip" tape. My experience with my other shotgun was the plastic ATI clamps don't have enough "bite" & will travel otherwise. The light I use has grooves machined in the lens housing that when brought back as you suggest mate with the shell tube perfectly ;) Not bad for $17 @ Sam's & it is brighter than most tactical lights[low-middle end mods.] on the market. In that position I can engage it with the index finger of my pump hand simple point on point off motion.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Instead of 2 3/4 inch it's 2 inch, so my question is how will repeated rounds affect the chamber where it becomes the barrel there is a difference in size in many shotguns all be it subtle. Could repeated rounds cause erosion or damage to that area where the chamber and barrel meet? I like the idea for close range work like the house or a shop.

Good point Bailenforcer. I don't know to be honest & will have to research. I would assume that since shotguns are lower pressure by nature that this "may not" be an issue. Hell, I've seen shotguns made out of galvanized water pipe [Kids don't try this at home..it is not safe] that didn't bulge or burst, so I think mild use of these would be ok?

Agent1

Good point Bailenforcer. I don't know to be honest & will have to research. I would assume that since shotguns are lower pressure by nature that this "may not" be an issue. Hell, I've seen shotguns made out of galvanized water pipe [Kids don't try this at home..it is not safe] that didn't bulge or burst, so I think mild use of these would be ok?

Correct me if I am wrong, But I believe that the 590, as well as the 500, has a 3" chamber and the 2 3/4" rounds work fine in it also. 2" rounds act no differently other then less recoil and less pellet set back in the chamber.

PDinDetroit

This might be a good place to go and ask some questions...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php?c=4