Thread: VA and Homeland Security Sharing Information RE: Guns? H/T John R. Lott, Jr.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

VA and Homeland Security Sharing Information RE: Guns? H/T John R. Lott, Jr.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/08...land-security/
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Leon
    The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered ‘yes’ to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lott
    If this story about the VA and Homeland Security denying veterans concealed handgun permits is true, it is very disturbing. ... Now it appears as if local media around the country are reporting on examples of other reasons that veterans are having their guns taken away.
    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...r-iraq-war-vet
    http://www.kfsm.com/news/kfsm-news-r...,1708919.story

Thanks for the post Doug, I have several friends that are vets, this is info they need to know. I will pass this on to them.

Talking

I'm a Vet, and I don't feel insecure, nor threatened, nor stressed. Because I am a well armed Vet
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Thanks, Doug.

I just posted it on my facebook page.

I'm a well armed vet, too.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6

When a government is so afraid of dissent, resistance, and Civil Power that it considers all it's own ex-military personnel to be potential terrorists or criminals, then perhaps its the GOVERNMENT that needs to be reigned in, and tightly.

But then again, when they are essentially FORCING our troops to do tours of duty that are almost guaranteed to produce some level of PTSD, you have to wonder what the REAL agenda is. Are they REALLY wanting the US to be th e"police force of the world", or is this just a sneaky way for them to have an excuse to disarm everyone who's ever served in the military or as an LEO?...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

lost guns in boat sinking

I'm a vet and I used to have guns, but my boat sunk in 100 fathoms of water when I was fishing last week and I lost them all...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Me too, mine too ... it was a terrible tragedy
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

100 fathoms isn't all that deep..... I was taking all of mine from one side of Crater Lake to the other in a canoe when the wind came up and capsized me. I am afraid I was unable to save any of them, I was lucky to survive mysef.

bob

600 feet isn't deep? That's a bit farther than I can snorkel, I'm afraid. Deeper than the U. S. Government is willing to go to salvage nearly ANY ordnance short of a nuclear weapon.

Nukes are another story. They'll build stuff like the Glomar Explorer to recover someone ELSE's lost goodies...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Founder's Club Member
    I had to sell all of mine to make ends meet in the current economy.

Because of my medical conditions including depression, I had to get my Doc to sign off on my CHP form. My Doc is the V.A. and my "personal" doc sent me to psyche for a consult. The lady asked me the usual Suicide and "want to harm" questions and said "no problem" signed and marked me as GTG and sent me on my way.

I think it all depends on the doc/staff and their personal beliefs/commands edicts. I admit that I was VERY concerned going into it.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

I wondered why when I went back to have my knee looked at they had all the questions. I was about to say are you going to pay for no mental problems now when I am here for my physical problems. I work in the health care field and some things being shared such as electronic medical records I can agree with as long as they are only shared with other medical professionals because of need such as you get in an accident and they pull it to see if you are allergic to meds etc. I wonder how this works with HIPAA which is the patient privacy act which limits your records to those that need it due to medical need.?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    When a government is so afraid of dissent, resistance, and Civil Power that it considers all it's own ex-military personnel to be potential terrorists or criminals, then perhaps its the GOVERNMENT that needs to be reigned in, and tightly.

But then again, when they are essentially FORCING our troops to do tours of duty that are almost guaranteed to produce some level of PTSD, you have to wonder what the REAL agenda is. Are they REALLY wanting the US to be the "police force of the world", or is this just a sneaky way for them to have an excuse to disarm everyone who's ever served in the military or as an LEO?...

There is no PERHAPS in the government needing reined in. Not only that, quite a lot of it needs to be put into reverse for a while.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Truth or Fiction?

According to Truth or Fiction this is false.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...est-permit.htm
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Banned
    I never bought into this one. It was a bit tinfoilish for me.

That being said, the journalism in refuting the rumor was sloppy. They asked the VA if they were sharing information with DHS. The VA, predictably, said no.

Ask a guy on trial for murder if he did it. Base your opinion of his innocence on his answer? I don't think so.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    I think something like this would have to be a written policy, something concrete that could be used in court. Since nobody has shown us the regulation, policy or memo, I tend not to believe it.

I know it was discussed, but in order for the reg to have any teeth, it has to be on paper doesn't it?
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    I think something like this would have to be a written policy, something concrete that could be used in court
    For agencies to break the law or to prove it and send someone to jail?

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

I Say Again

Truth or Fiction?
    According to Truth or Fiction this is false.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...est-permit.htm
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson