• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA and Homeland Security Sharing Information RE: Guns? H/T John R. Lott, Jr.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/08/06/a-va-medical-visit-guns-and-homeland-security/
Michael Leon said:
The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered ‘yes’ to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.
John Lott said:
If this story about the VA and Homeland Security denying veterans concealed handgun permits is true, it is very disturbing. ... Now it appears as if local media around the country are reporting on examples of other reasons that veterans are having their guns taken away.
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/va-atf-say-no-guns-for-iraq-war-vet
http://www.kfsm.com/news/kfsm-news-...ed-of-second-amendment-rights,0,1708919.story

Butch00

Thanks, Doug.

I just posted it on my facebook page.

I'm a well armed vet, too.

Dreamer

When a government is so afraid of dissent, resistance, and Civil Power that it considers all it's own ex-military personnel to be potential terrorists or criminals, then perhaps its the GOVERNMENT that needs to be reigned in, and tightly.

But then again, when they are essentially FORCING our troops to do tours of duty that are almost guaranteed to produce some level of PTSD, you have to wonder what the REAL agenda is. Are they REALLY wanting the US to be th e"police force of the world", or is this just a sneaky way for them to have an excuse to disarm everyone who's ever served in the military or as an LEO?...

BobR

100 fathoms isn't all that deep..... I was taking all of mine from one side of Crater Lake to the other in a canoe when the wind came up and capsized me. I am afraid I was unable to save any of them, I was lucky to survive mysef.

bob

MSC 45ACP

600 feet isn't deep? That's a bit farther than I can snorkel, I'm afraid. Deeper than the U. S. Government is willing to go to salvage nearly ANY ordnance short of a nuclear weapon.

Nukes are another story. They'll build stuff like the Glomar Explorer to recover someone ELSE's lost goodies...

HeroHog

Because of my medical conditions including depression, I had to get my Doc to sign off on my CHP form. My Doc is the V.A. and my "personal" doc sent me to psyche for a consult. The lady asked me the usual Suicide and "want to harm" questions and said "no problem" signed and marked me as GTG and sent me on my way.

I think it all depends on the doc/staff and their personal beliefs/commands edicts. I admit that I was VERY concerned going into it.

Uber_Olafsun

I wondered why when I went back to have my knee looked at they had all the questions. I was about to say are you going to pay for no mental problems now when I am here for my physical problems. I work in the health care field and some things being shared such as electronic medical records I can agree with as long as they are only shared with other medical professionals because of need such as you get in an accident and they pull it to see if you are allergic to meds etc. I wonder how this works with HIPAA which is the patient privacy act which limits your records to those that need it due to medical need.?

OldCurlyWolf

When a government is so afraid of dissent, resistance, and Civil Power that it considers all it's own ex-military personnel to be potential terrorists or criminals, then perhaps its the GOVERNMENT that needs to be reigned in, and tightly.

But then again, when they are essentially FORCING our troops to do tours of duty that are almost guaranteed to produce some level of PTSD, you have to wonder what the REAL agenda is. Are they REALLY wanting the US to be the "police force of the world", or is this just a sneaky way for them to have an excuse to disarm everyone who's ever served in the military or as an LEO?...

There is no PERHAPS in the government needing reined in. Not only that, quite a lot of it needs to be put into reverse for a while.

eye95

I never bought into this one. It was a bit tinfoilish for me.

That being said, the journalism in refuting the rumor was sloppy. They asked the VA if they were sharing information with DHS. The VA, predictably, said no.

Ask a guy on trial for murder if he did it. Base your opinion of his innocence on his answer? I don't think so.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I think something like this would have to be a written policy, something concrete that could be used in court. Since nobody has shown us the regulation, policy or memo, I tend not to believe it.

I know it was discussed, but in order for the reg to have any teeth, it has to be on paper doesn't it?