• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy Labor Day Y'all... I'm Going For an OC Bike Ride..

Spartacus

Banned
Doug says its illegal so I'm thinking just the opposite is true.

I'll be on one of the non-GFSZ "trails for rails" bike paths so my only possible encounter will be with the occasional DNR permit checker that we run into on the trails. Yet another permit... I know, I know...

Hubert, I'll only get one phone call and you know who's gonna get it. lol

BROKENSPROKET

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Who is unclear that a bicycle is a vehicle?

We'll start at § 167.31 and work backwards. Here is Chapter 167 PDF link URL http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0167.pdf download it for future reference.

§ 167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and bows. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this section: [extraneous material deleted ... ] (h) “Vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (74), and ...

Here is the Chapter 340 PDF link URL http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0340.pdf download it for future reference.

§ 340.01 (74) “Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains....

Spartacus

Banned
I thought the DNR classified a bicycle as a vehicle. I just got my hunting regs in the mail so I'll have to check.

DNR regs would not apply.

Anyway it was an uneventful ride. No cops, no worries.

A WCI challenge to an OCing bicycle rider might be an interesting lawsuit...

Last edited:

Krusty

OC Bicycle

I always OC while riding my bicycle. 90% of riding is on the State Trail System and I have nearly 1400 miles this year. I have stopped at checkpoints several times this year while clearly armed and nothing was even mentioned about the gun.

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

The way I see it this is lawful and it's recreation. Hopefully no problems will arise.

Spartacus

Banned
Good to know Krusty.

I always thought that trying to call a bicycle a "vehicle" was stretching it. This seems to fall into the same category as the difference between a gasoline engine on a boat and a trolling motor. For one you need "vehicle" registration and for the other you don't.

The main thing to look for when riding is the GFSZ's for now and hopefully that will be remedied soon.

M

McX

go get 'em sparticus. be careful on your bike ride, old bones don't bounce off the ground well. Keep that sword you wield out of the spokes!

drop this here; yesterday fire dept. came through on an inspection, saw i was carrying, talked with them for quite awhile, went over many topics with them, gave them brochures. more citizens enducated.

icepik

I thought someone on here was discussing the option of transporting a firearm while loaded and accessible in a vehicle IF the firearm was in plain view.

I've read through the transportation statute ( http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0167.pdf ) and the only spot I see that speaks of transporting in plain view is for a licensed security officer.

Does anyone else remember reading this, or have any idea on where that information came from?

Sorry if I'm missing it, but I can't find that thread again.

Thanks.

Jay

oldschool

Weather permitting I plan to bike to the West Bend meet and greet.
I'll use a gun case though as it about 70 miles as its with out snakeing around all the school zones i'm sure will be in my path.

Spartacus

Banned
I thought someone on here was discussing the option of transporting a firearm while loaded and accessible in a vehicle IF the firearm was in plain view.

I've read through the transportation statute ( http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0167.pdf ) and the only spot I see that speaks of transporting in plain view is for a licensed security officer.

Does anyone else remember reading this, or have any idea on where that information came from?

Sorry if I'm missing it, but I can't find that thread again.

Thanks.Jay

Yah, that may apply to security officers but for the rest of us peons the guns have to be unloaded and cased to be legal for transport in "vehicles". IMO bicycles are not "vehicles" except in some DNR wet dream.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Who is unclear that a bicycle is a vehicle under the law?

IMO bicycles are not "vehicles" except in some DNR wet dream.
Who is unclear that a bicycle is a vehicle?

We'll start at § 167.31 and work backwards. Here is Chapter 167 PDF link URL http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0167.pdf download it for future reference.

§ 167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and bows. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this section: [extraneous material deleted ... ] (h) “Vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (74), and ...

Here is the Chapter 340 PDF link URL http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0340.pdf download it for future reference.

§ 340.01 (74) “Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains....

CUOfficer

This is interesting. I just sat through the Hunter's Safety field day in Sun Prairie with my girlfriend. The DNR warden who spoke, Tyler Streelow (SP?), did say that bicycles were considered vehicles for the sake of the transport law. So who is correct in this situation?

Captain Nemo

WHAT part of 340.01(74) doesn't anybody understand? When I hitch up my horse and buggy and travel down the road it is considered a vehicle by definition. I can't park one of my hay wagons in my woods and use it as a deer stand unless I take the wheels off (DNR). As long as it is cabpable of being pulled on a road it is considered a vehicle. I'm not saying I support the law or that I like the law. In fact I think it is one of the most stupid definitions in all of the state statutes, but as Doug says the statute is so stated. During a hearing or trial a judge may overlook the definition or may even declare it ludicrous. In fact that very thing did happen this year as a man riding a bicycle while carrying a loaded and uncased handgun scared off a couple of criminals. You can be arrested and charged by law enforcement for violating state statute 167.31 if anything you transport a firearm on falls within the definition 340.01(74).

Here is an extreme example of the stupidity of the definition. If you are walking along a public roadway with your possessions in a coaster wagon you are legal if you carry a loaded firearm in a holster on your person. If you take your holster off, with the firearm contained therein, and place it on the wagon it had better be unloaded and placed in a proper case. I presumed the holster is not the type that completely concealed the firearm. Stupid? yes. Technically correct? yes.

Last edited: