• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper private transfer of a firearm to a CPL holder?

kyleplusitunes

what paperwork do I need to get a handgun from my friend? this will be the first time since I have had my cpl that I have purchased a new gun in any form, I am not familiar with the steps.

Bronson

You will keep a copy, your friend will keep a copy, and you will mail or hand deliver two copies to your local PD. They in turn will keep one copy and forward one copy to the State Police. If you plan on carrying the gun you must carry your copy of the RI-60 for thirty days, after that you are not required to have the paperwork with you. Some folks advise that afte 30 days you go to your local PD and ask for confirmation that the gun made it onto the state's registry but this is not required by law.

Bronson

Haman J.T.

You will keep a copy, your friend will keep a copy, and you will mail or hand deliver two copies to your local PD. They in turn will keep one copy and forward one copy to the State Police. If you plan on carrying the gun you must carry your copy of the RI-60 for thirty days, after that you are not required to have the paperwork with you. Some folks advise that afte 30 days you go to your local PD and ask for confirmation that the gun made it onto the state's registry but this is not required by law.

Bronson
I believe there is a time allotment for the police to send it to MSP.

sprinklerguy28

I believe there is a time allotment for the police to send it to MSP.

You have ten days from the day you purchase with a RI-60, or 10 days from the day you receive your PP(non CPL holders) to turn in your paperwork. The local pd has 48 hours from the time you turn it in to submit it to the MSP.

The purchaser is only required to maintain their copy on them for 30 days from the date of purchase if they are carrying the gun.

Last edited: