Thread: Open/Concealed carry in the Mt. Rogers NRA

Open/Concealed carry in the Mt. Rogers NRA

I was hiking in Grayson Highlands State Park and Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area this weekend (Labor Day) and had occasion to chat with a National Forest Service Trailrunner. These folks travel the trails in the NRA to provide some kind of assistance/control for the visitors who use the Area. I told him I had my concealed carry permit (NC) and that I was carrying concealed, which he was fine with. I had emailed the NFS office for the Area earlier this year and asked about firearms restrictions in the NRA. The email response was that the NFS followed State law as it applies to carrying personal weapons, period. However, he told me that he frequently makes the horse riding crowd put their sidearms away, as open carry is not permitted on National Forest land except in hunting season. He told me, in fact, that open carry is not legal in Va. I looked over this website and find that open carry is, indeed, legal in Va. I guess that some training in the NFS is warranted re gun regulations. I never did find out what restrictions, if any apply in Grayson Highlands State Park. I'm usually just passing through there anyway.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Aside from him being ignorant about OC in Va, he is correct about National Forest Carry.

The National Forest is different than National Parks and because of an agreement between DGIF and other states Game Commissions, and the National Forest, OC is not legal except during hunting season.

It's one of the things I'm trying to change and in fact, I was discussing it this past weekend.

If VDOF falls as I expect it to (But not completely) DGIF and others will also.
    This has been a difficult fight. Lots of it has been behind the scenes and aside from country folks, I'm not getting a lot of help.

Maybe VCDL could send Sailor Curt over and he could talk the National Forest folks to death

Did you get the name of the trailrunner?
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-06-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Did you get the name of the trailrunner?
    Is this the one?

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Just another reason to add state agencies to the list of entities covered by state preemption. Get college carry, state park/forest and national forest OC all with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Just another reason to add state agencies to the list of entities covered by state preemption. Get college carry, state park/forest and national forest OC all with one stone.
    Yep!
    We should see which way the wind's blowing any time.
    There is going to be a new 30 day comment period on VDOF. You might want to convey that thought there.

Yep!
    We should see which way the wind's blowing any time.
    There is going to be a new 30 day comment period on VDOF. You might want to convey that thought there.
    Another comment period? I guess they'll keep trying till they get the comments they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Another comment period? I guess they'll keep trying till they get the comments they want.
    When the wording of the proposed regulation changes, the process repeats itself.

When the wording of the proposed regulation changes, the process repeats itself.
    Hopefully the change in wording is for the better.

Can you comment?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    So if they continue to change the wording of the proposed regulation, the process would never come to and end?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    So if they continue to change the wording of the proposed regulation, the process would never come to and end?
    +1 That's my theory, it will never end.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Hopefully the change in wording is for the better.

Can you comment?
    Not yet! Sorry.

Thumbs up

Not yet! Sorry.
    Understood.

I gather you're close to what's cooking, and know you're pushing in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Understood.

I gather you're close to what's cooking, and know you're pushing in the right direction.
    VCDL has been dealing with McDonnell's office. I have not been involved with that. In a nutshell, McDonnell has been giving everyone the old shuck and jive routine.

I've taken a little different route.

A rewrite is in the process now!
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-07-2010 at 12:30 PM.