• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open/Concealed carry in the Mt. Rogers NRA

billingle

I was hiking in Grayson Highlands State Park and Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area this weekend (Labor Day) and had occasion to chat with a National Forest Service Trailrunner. These folks travel the trails in the NRA to provide some kind of assistance/control for the visitors who use the Area. I told him I had my concealed carry permit (NC) and that I was carrying concealed, which he was fine with. I had emailed the NFS office for the Area earlier this year and asked about firearms restrictions in the NRA. The email response was that the NFS followed State law as it applies to carrying personal weapons, period. However, he told me that he frequently makes the horse riding crowd put their sidearms away, as open carry is not permitted on National Forest land except in hunting season. He told me, in fact, that open carry is not legal in Va. I looked over this website and find that open carry is, indeed, legal in Va. I guess that some training in the NFS is warranted re gun regulations. I never did find out what restrictions, if any apply in Grayson Highlands State Park. I'm usually just passing through there anyway.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Aside from him being ignorant about OC in Va, he is correct about National Forest Carry.

The National Forest is different than National Parks and because of an agreement between DGIF and other states Game Commissions, and the National Forest, OC is not legal except during hunting season.

It's one of the things I'm trying to change and in fact, I was discussing it this past weekend.

If VDOF falls as I expect it to (But not completely) DGIF and others will also.
This has been a difficult fight. Lots of it has been behind the scenes and aside from country folks, I'm not getting a lot of help.

Maybe VCDL could send Sailor Curt over and he could talk the National Forest folks to death:banana:

Did you get the name of the trailrunner?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did you get the name of the trailrunner?

Is this the one?

road-runner-1.jpg

nova

Just another reason to add state agencies to the list of entities covered by state preemption. Get college carry, state park/forest and national forest OC all with one stone.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just another reason to add state agencies to the list of entities covered by state preemption. Get college carry, state park/forest and national forest OC all with one stone.

Yep!
We should see which way the wind's blowing any time.
There is going to be a new 30 day comment period on VDOF. You might want to convey that thought there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Understood.

I gather you're close to what's cooking, and know you're pushing in the right direction.

VCDL has been dealing with McDonnell's office. I have not been involved with that. In a nutshell, McDonnell has been giving everyone the old shuck and jive routine.

I've taken a little different route.

A rewrite is in the process now!

Last edited: