• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High Capacity Clip Clarification

big_bugga9

I apologize if this has been posted here before... a P228 I bought 20 years ago came with 13 round clips... I realize there is a 10 round limitation these days... my question is, am I asking for problems open carrying this gun or would it be wiser to simply buy a couple "legal" clips? It is my understanding that this gun would be "grandfathered" due to its age... can anyone clarify this?... thanks!

sultan62

Unfortunately, some people around here magically transform into a$$holes when it comes to noting the difference between a clip and a magazine.

I'm assuming you're talking about California regs, you may want to post about it in the state forum.

.45acp

I apologize if this has been posted here before... a P228 I bought 20 years ago came with 13 round clips... I realize there is a 10 round limitation these days... my question is, am I asking for problems open carrying this gun or would it be wiser to simply buy a couple "legal" clips? It is my understanding that this gun would be "grandfathered" due to its age... can anyone clarify this?... thanks!

Hello Big,

Well you certainly have been jerked around enough on this one.

As Sultan62 suggested post on the Calif State Forum and you find the folks there will be able to answer your question or point you in the right direction. You can also try Calif Concealed Weapons forum. They'll have the scoop also.

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/

Just for your info, pistols use magazines vs. clips. Everyone understood the question but some could not refrain for being a jerk about it.

Good luck.

Steve

big_bugga9

Hello Big,

Well you certainly have been jerked around enough on this one.

As Sultan62 suggested post on the Calif State Forum and you find the folks there will be able to answer your question or point you in the right direction. You can also try Calif Concealed Weapons forum. They'll have the scoop also.

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/

Just for your info, pistols use magazines vs. clips. Everyone understood the question but some could not refrain for being a jerk about it.

Good luck.

Steve

Yeah Steve... thanks for your respectful reply to my FIRST post on this site... this was the last place I thought I'd find idiot comments... looking around the website I didn't spot the Ca forum right off... I'll take a look... thanksman.

paul@paul-fisher.com

You people are amazing! It's a surprise any newby stays around. At least when I called something a clip, someone PM'ed me explaining the difference.

groovedrummer

There is elitist bulls**t anywhere you go...its just people that are so bored that they base there entire identity off of being an expert on something, or at least being smarter than you...it gives them meaning in life.

I was in a hobby store recently and caught crap about rc helicopters...from "rc heli experts" that all stood around with there arms crossed and chuckled about the questions I asked.

its stupid and not worth losing your temper over.

welcome to the forums :) lol

gsx1138

Actually I'm more surprised that you guys are so sensitive. I hope you don't carry a gun with such a fragile ego. As already stated, the California forum is the place to go. You're already hampered by draconian laws and the last thing you need is a knuckle dragger giving you grief. I still have a hard time imagining a cop being able to walk up and demand to inspect your pistol.

My response wasn't meant to insult you but to poke fun. I compare the clip/magazine debate to the 9mm/.45 debate. Not all that important. Sorry if it came across as a$$holish.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Actually I'm more surprised that you guys are so sensitive. I hope you don't carry a gun with such a fragile ego. As already stated, the California forum is the place to go. You're already hampered by draconian laws and the last thing you need is a knuckle dragger giving you grief. I still have a hard time imagining a cop being able to walk up and demand to inspect your pistol.

My response wasn't meant to insult you but to poke fun. I compare the clip/magazine debate to the 9mm/.45 debate. Not all that important. Sorry if it came across as a$$holish.

Well, if you would of made your smart ass remark and then corrected the OP it would of been OK but you basically called him a dumbass and then didn't fix the problem.

Same thing happened to me on close to my 1st post and thankfully I have a thick skin and ignored it.

big_bugga9

...been handling firearms for about 45 years, I do know the difference between mags/clips... my bad... didn't know you were so sensitive about accurate nomenclature in this forum, I'll remember that...

...generally more thick-skinned, however since it was my first post you could liken it to getting insulted in front of your woman by some a$$wipe in an unfamilliar bar-- you'd better show some sac.

Anyway, got my answers on Google... my advice next time you wanna yank someone's chain-- be more creative when you insult... or use a smiley.

Btw, the draconian laws are no party, but we are definately showing some sac... I wouldn't under estimate California, lotta open carrying going on here.

No worries.

gsx1138

No worries, I didn't even notice it was your first post.

I really do hope you guys can turn it around down there. It's an uphill battle but the anti-gunners have been losing battle after battle.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I am under the impression that the term "high capacity" is an anti-gunner invention, just like "assault weapon."

Just to undermine the anti-gunners a bit, I would like to urge using a different term. For example, "normal capacity magazines."

Fourteen, fifteen, seventeen--all are normal capacity these days, and have been for a while. I owned a 14-round or 15-round magazine semi-auto pistol twenty-four years ago, well before the anti-gunners got on their lying kick about "hye-capacity."

See the link below for politically corrected terms.

http://www.gunlaws.com/politicallycorrect.htm

.45acp

Yeah Steve... thanks for your respectful reply to my FIRST post on this site... this was the last place I thought I'd find idiot comments... looking around the website I didn't spot the Ca forum right off... I'll take a look... thanksman.

I missed that is was your first post here....Welcome and stick around, there are a number of folks here with good info and experiences to share. As with any internet forum, choose wisely the posters you choose to listen too.

Welcome.

Steve

simmonsjoe

I am under the impression that the term "high capacity" is an anti-gunner invention, just like "assault weapon."

Just to undermine the anti-gunners a bit, I would like to urge using a different term. For example, "normal capacity magazines."

Fourteen, fifteen, seventeen--all are normal capacity these days, and have been for a while. I owned a 14-round or 15-round magazine semi-auto pistol twenty-four years ago, well before the anti-gunners got on their lying kick about "hye-capacity."

See the link below for politically corrected terms.

http://www.gunlaws.com/politicallycorrect.htm
+1
If you say "high capacity" I'm picturing a 100rd drum.
10rd mags are limited capacity.
I;ve heard people call 10rd'ers "normal." Needless to say I lose my ****.

btw- great link

Last edited:

gsx1138

Normal capacity is the only real thing I get anal about when it comes to firearms.

My 30 round magazines for my AR are "normal capacity". They came with the rifle. My 17 round magazine with my M&P are "normal capacity" because that what was with the pistol when I bought it. I think it is better if we control the word game than let the anti-gunners try to control it. I don't even call select fire rifles 'assault rifles' anymore. It's too easy to scare the public away from their rights.

Dreamer

I apologize if this has been posted here before...

Fitst, off, I'd like to welcome you to the forum. It appears you are a little new to the whole firearms forum world (and perhaps firearms in general) so I'm not going to jump down your throat about not knowing the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine". Rather than jumping in on the "bash-fest" that the other wankers on this forum are enjoying so much, I'll offer a little lesson in firearms terms for you, so that you can increase your knowledge, speak with more precision and authority in the future....

A "clip" is generally a "U" shaped piece of spring metal that cartridges are put into so that rifles (and a few VERY rare handguns) that are semi-automatic, but have integral magazines (like the M-1 Garand, the SKS, and the Mosin Nagant) can be loaded quickly in the field.

A "Magazine" is a detachable box (of metal or plastic) that hold the cartridges, and is inserted into the action of a firearm, and is used to feed the action while firing. Firearms like Glocks, Colt 1911's, and all other currently-produced semiauto handguns, as well as modern rifles like AR-15's, AK-47s, FN-FALs, and Saiga's use "magazines".

Some people don't think this distinction is important. But knowing the correct words to use, and USING them is very important if we want to appear to hold the "high ground" against the anti-gun people. If we use incorrect words to describe our activities, they will say we are stupid. (when THEY use incorrect words, it is considered "creative reporting").

Words have meaning, folks. Hopefully, Mr. "big_bugga9" will go forward from this point with a little more knowledge about firearms, and can begin to educate himself (and others) about the importance of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Welcome "big_bugga9". I hope th erest of your time here at OCDO is a little more fruitful, and it doesn't take 20 posts for you to get an answer....