• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Eric Cantor a "Young Gun" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repeater

Can Eric Cantor honestly describe himself as a Young Gun? How PRO-gun is he really?

When he was in the Virginia House of Delegates, he voted for Doug Wilder's "One-Gun-a-Month" -- has he ever apologized for that?

He holds his annual so-called "Republican Roundup" at a place he knows will not allow armed self defense.

In the House of Representatives, he has never sponsored a bill that would undo any federal gun control law or regulation.

Is Eric Cantor truly a Young Gun?

What do you think? Well, you can ask him. He will be in Richmond on Thursday, September 16, 2010 at the Barnes & Noble - Libbie Place to promote his new book:

Eric Cantor
Young Guns: A New Generation of Conservative Leaders
Author Event
Thursday September 16, 2010 7:30 PM

Libbie Place
5501 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23230, 804-282-0781

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No, he's like so many legislators, all show.

I had intended to go to the roundup with an empty holster but realized today, that's the opening day of Bow Season.

I know where my priorities are!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Eric Cantor has been in congress for how long? About 10 years, I think, and is part of the leadership there. Before that he was in state government for about the same length of time. That adds up to having a chance for the last 20 years to get it right and do what is right.

Young gun or just an attempt to disguise the worn out party line of business as usual?

Don't think you can fix the problem Mr. Cantor if you are the problem.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Grape, I believe he has been in public office for 18 years.

s'OK. No biggie. Grape still thinks he studied under Socrates for five years, when records show it was only three. The circumstances surrounding his expulsion from the school are a little murky, though. :D

(5...4...3...2...)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If Cantor is a "young gun", will he not be allowed in Innsbrook, since they don't allow guns? :)

He's a "Young Gun" because currently the term "Young Turk" carries too much negativity.

The problem is, he is neither.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Eric Cantor has been in congress for how long? About 10 years, I think, and is part of the leadership there. Before that he was in state government for about the same length of time. That adds up to having a chance for the last 20 years to get it right and do what is right.

Young gun or just an attempt to disguise the worn out party line of business as usual?

Don't think you can fix the problem Mr. Cantor if you are the problem.

Grape, I believe he has been in public office for 18 years.

Close enough for gobbermint work, I do believe. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
s'OK. No biggie. Grape still thinks he studied under Socrates for five years, when records show it was only three. The circumstances surrounding his expulsion from the school are a little murky, though. :D

(5...4...3...2...)

With any luck you are still holding your baited breath.

BTW - Socrates was my student.

riverrat10k

I think

..it was on Doc Thompson's show on WRVA that the host was bashing Cantor for being a hypocrite. Problem is, the rhetoric in the book does not match his actions. Agree with Peter Nap and Grapeshot. He talks the talk but does not know the walk.
He has been in long enough IMO. It would take a personal conversation with him along the lines of "..I had to do those things to get the power; now that I have it (house speaker? house majority leader?), I can get the right thing done..." to change my mind about his motivations.
Or maybe not. Term limits anyone?

macfly

Eric Cantor is a shill for another country and should be run out of congress. He does not care about American interests and could not care less about the constitution. He has no interest in seeing an armed populace. Do some research on just how much time he has spent courting his real masters/interests in another country.
Makes me see red how the constitution is being trashed by those who have no interest being in congress.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL!! Probably helped Homer write the Iliad, too, huh?

So, how many students of yours went on to commit capital offenses? :D:p

The I & O were propagated by no men were they not?

Still being taught by my students, but Eric lacks constructive capital posts (of fences).

PS - please leave the hemlock at home.

macfly

Who am I?
Just another poster on a forum. Ashburn is in the metro D.C. area.
I dont allude to anything. There are plenty of politicians who hold America's interests as second to others. But people can do their own research. My comment was only to say that Cantor is not our friend and couldnt care less about gun rights protections.

MSC 45ACP

With any luck you are still holding your baited breath.

BTW - Socrates was my student.

S'ok, Grape. Around the time I retired, I was accused of attending Small Arms Instructor (SAI) School with Robin Hood. My last few years, I was teaching "kids" at the range that were born after I went to SAI school.

macfly

Cantor in action.
and before you make this an antisemitism call let it be known that i am a friend of the religion, not the neocon government in place in israel. but whichever country this would be, it is an outrage that one of our politicians would get up and tell them they would be a check on the US government so side with their goals. seems almost like treason to me.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/11/13/israel/index.html
SATURDAY, NOV 13, 2010 06:14 ET
Eric Cantor's Pledge of Allegiance
BY GLENN GREENWALD
Soon-to-be GOP House Majority Leader Eric Cantor met on Wednesday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu -- the same day when the actual U.S. Secretary of State met with Netanyahu -- and vowed that he and his GOP colleagues would protect and defend Israeli interests against his own Government. According to a statement proudly issued by Cantor's own office:

Regarding the midterms, Cantor may have given Netanyahu some reason to stand firm against the American administration.

"Eric stressed that the new Republican majority will serve as a check on the Administration and what has been, up until this point, one party rule in Washington," the readout continued. "He made clear that the Republican majority understands the special relationship between Israel and the United States, and that the security of each nation is reliant upon the other."

Leave aside the absurdity of believing that Israel needs to be protected from the extremely deferential and devoted Obama administration. So extraordinary is Cantor's pledge that even the Jewish Telegraph Agency's Ron Kampeas -- himself a reflexive American defender of most things Israel -- was astonished, and wrote:

I can't remember an opposition leader telling a foreign leader, in a personal meeting, that he would side, as a policy, with that leader against the president. Certainly, in statements on one specific issue or another -- building in Jerusalem, or somesuch -- lawmakers have taken the sides of other nations. But to have-a-face to face and say, in general, we will take your side against the White House -- that sounds to me extraordinary.

As Kampeas notes, Cantor's office quickly disputed his understanding, but this is hardly the first time Cantor has violated supposedly sacred political conventions in order to side with Israel over his own country. Last August, Cantor led a GOP delegation to Israel and while in Jerusalem -- which happens to be "foreign soil" -- he condemned his own President and American policy for opposing the expansion of Israeli settlements in the West Bank. Criticizing America while on Dreaded Foreign Soil is supposed to be one of the most extreme taboos in American politics: Al Gore was bitterly denounced as a borderline-traitor for a 2006 speech in Saudi Arabia criticizing American foreign policy, and Gore at the time was merely a private citizen, not a leading political official. But American political figures like Cantor feel free to do exactly that -- criticize America on foreign soil -- when it comes to Israel; recall the same thing being done by by Mike Huckabee.

That's because, in general, all the rules change -- are completely reversed -- when it comes to Israel. As Cantor's behavior demonstrates, the rules that apply to "foreign countries" are inapplicable to Israel because in mainstream American politics, Israel is not considered and therefore is not treated as a "foreign country" at all. Many Israel devotees actually tried to expand the "no-criticizing-the U.S.-on-foreign-soil" rule by suggesting there was something wrong with Obama's criticism of Israel while in Indonesia; apparently, it's fine for American officials to criticize the U.S. while in Israel, but not for the U.S. President to criticize Israel while on foreign soil. And for the past two years, leading Democrats who would never dare publicly criticize Obama for anything have bitterly and publicly denounced him for the crime of opposing Israeli policy. And, of course, there is far greater unity in the U.S. Congress for Israeli wars than for America's own wars; that's just a fact.

Last night on Twitter, I wrote: "Imagine if a leading Democratic Congressman told a leader of a foreign country he'd side with them against the GOP US President" and "Imagine John Kerry, 2006, to French President Jacques Chirac: 'I'll safeguard French interests against President Bush'." In reply, The Washington Examiner's David Freddoso wrote: "No need to imagine. It happened in 02." He's presumably referring to Rep. Jim McDermott's trip to Iraq to oppose America's imminent attack on that country. That's hardly comparable -- McDermott wasn't in the leadership of his party and he was opposing that war out of allegiance to the U.S., not to Iraq -- but even so, it created a major media backlash in which McDermott was routinely denounced as a traitor and to this day is mocked as "Baghdad Jim." Needless to say, Cantor's actions will spawn nothing comparable. That's the point.

What makes Cantor's behavior all the more remarkable is that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict which the Obama administration is ostensibly attempting to resolve is, as Gen. David Petraeus himself pointed out, a direct threat to U.S. interests and security. But no matter; those concerns are plainly not Cantor's priority.

One other revealing and fascinating aspect to all of this. The two co-Chairmen of Obama's Deficit Commission, Erskine Bowles and Alan Simpson, last week unveiled a plan that would entail drastic cuts in most areas of American life, including Social Security and Medicare. Whatever else is true, American citizens are going to experience severe cut-backs in all sorts of benefits and economic security. Meanwhile, the U.S. continues to shovel billions of dollars every year to Israel -- a country which, unlike the U.S., enjoys a booming economy and universal health care coverage. The Bowles/Simpson proposal would not cut any of that, but it at least calls for a reduction in the rate of growth in foreign aid, which would encompass the numerous foreign countries to which the U.S. transfers such money, with Israel leading the list and its neighbor Egypt in second place (which buys Egyptian stability and peace with Israel).

Anticipating that the extreme austerity measures which his party is demanding might sweep up foreign aid -- and therefore threaten the billions of dollars every year in American taxpayer money transferred to Israel -- Cantor last month proposed that money to Israel not be classifed any longer as "foreign aid" -- in order to shield it from all cuts. In other words, Cantor wants American citizens to sacrifice in the extreme, to lose all sorts of benefits and security in the name of austerity, but wants to shield Israel -- with a higher standard of living -- from those cuts. Put another way, Americans should give up Social Security and Medicare benefits so that they can continue to transfer billions of dollars every year to Israel, a foreign country which offers far more of a safety net to its own citizens. But don't you dare accuse Eric Cantor of haboring allegiance to Israel and subordinating U.S. interests to this foreign country. That would be extremely wrong of you to insinuate.

The Donkey

Cantor, Cantor, from the party of tea;

Has got his very own foreign policy.

For Israel, says he, I'll keep Obama in check;

Lets deport Eric Cantor to the wilds of Quebec.

TFred

From Dilbert author Scott Adams we learn:

"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"​

There is significant truth in that. Obama has done almost nothing right. Why would his foreign policy be any better just because it's "foreign" policy?

Obama desires to fundamentally change the United States, a promise that he campaigned on. I believe this includes significantly altering our relationship with Israel as well, and just like all his other agenda items, needs to be opposed at every opportunity.

TFred

Status
Not open for further replies.