• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry this weekend in Mammoth Cave NP

TWeatherford

This weekend I took part in a fairly large trail ride in Mammoth Cave National Park. We stayed at a privately owned campground (there were around 100 campsites - all full), ate meals and had live entertainment there, and rode into the park from there. I double checked the laws, and found a very informative statement on the park website that plainly stated the law, and open carried my Charter Arms .357 revolver.

I only had two people tell me that I couldn't carry there, but both were saying it in a "so you don't get in trouble" sort of way not in a "you shouldn't be carrying that" tone. I informed both of them that the law had changed and National Parks now follow state law, which makes OC and CC legal. They were both interested to hear that and took my word for it. One other guy just asked what I was carrying and chatted guns for a few minutes.

It was a great weekend. I carried the whole time, even to the music/dancing stuff. Basically I behaved normally although I did not drink. I am 22 years of age and initially thought that people would think I'm just some kid who wants to play cowboy, but then decided its not my problem if they think that and I'd just go ahead and be responsible and a normal guy and maybe change some opinions. I had open carry business cards to hand out and even printed off a copy of the rules regarding park carry but didn't even get the chance to hand them out... no one asked.

langzaiguy

Excellent! Sounds like a very enjoyable weekend. Glad you weren't hassled. I take it that the people you talked to were private citizens?

TWeatherford

They were both private citizens trying to keep me from getting in trouble. They were just mistaken as to what the laws were. I have a feeling at least one of them will be carrying in the future, as he was very intrigued to hear the law had changed.