• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Locked, Unloaded Carry??

orqusgu

I had some questions about carrying in WA.

It is acceptable to:

1. Have an unloaded handgun in a locked concealed container, with a magazine or ammo in your pocket?
1a. Can the locked container concealed in your vehicle?
1b. Can the locked container be in a backpack that your carry with you?
1b(i). If yes to 1b, where could you not take the unloaded, locked container?

Also, is something like this, with a lock on it, an acceptable container? http://cgi.ebay.com/SOFT-CASE-GUN-PISTOL-STORAGE-SAFETY-NCSTAR-NEW-BLACK-/120617535850

Last edited:

Leatherneck

Last edited:

oneeyeross

My only question is: Why carry an unloaded firearm when you can legally carry a loaded firearm?

Unless you are from one of those states that requires you jump through all kinds of hoops & stuff...but out here, we are still (knock on wood) able to enjoy our "fundamental human right" of self defense.

orqusgu

My only question is: Why carry an unloaded firearm when you can legally carry a loaded firearm?

Unless you are from one of those states that requires you jump through all kinds of hoops & stuff...but out here, we are still (knock on wood) able to enjoy our "fundamental human right" of self defense.

I don't really want to get into the habit of carrying a loaded weapon or get a CHL where I might be more enticed to do so. I will open carry when I am allowed and need to though. But I don't like the attention open carry brings to one either.

But what I really want to know is whether or you can have an unloaded handgun locked in a container (with a loaded magazine in your pocket) - and then have that locked container in the back seat or in a backpack (I guess concealed).

If a unloaded handgun is locked up, can it be concealed? Even in a banned city?

G20-IWB24/7

You're better off with pepper spray if you plan on carrying an unloaded gun, in a locked container, inside another container, with ammunition separate of that.

I guess I just don't understand what you hope to accomplish with your 'luggage,' should something go down...

Metalhead47

Cities cannot ban. State law > City law.

He mentions a cHl, as opposed to a cPl. Sounds like he's from Oregon, cities there can regulate possession without a CHL IIRC.

But yes, to the original poster, just what are you trying to accomplish here? Are you just going to the range, or are you trying to "carry without carrying?" I can understand being uncomfortable with OC, but why the aversion to carrying loaded and concealed?

killchain

The long and short of it is this:

If you have a Concealed Pistol License from Washington (or another state that is recognized,) then yes you can carry your pistol in a container in your backpack.

Also, with a CPL you can carry a handgun in a vehicle without unloading it.

Furthermore, you could carry it loaded and on your person to protect yourself... hidden or not.

Please, if I'm wrong someone correct me. I'm just posting on the fly here. :p

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
The long and short of it is this:

If you have a Concealed Pistol License from Washington (or another state that is recognized,) then yes you can carry your pistol in a container in your backpack.

Also, with a CPL you can carry a handgun in a vehicle without unloading it.

Furthermore, you could carry it loaded and on your person to protect yourself... hidden or not.

Please, if I'm wrong someone correct me. I'm just posting on the fly here. :p

That about covers it.

I agree, though, that if the OP wants to carry the way he listed he's better off with pepper spray. I just can't see asking an attacker to hold on a minute while I assemble my means of self-defense.

Mapnapkin

Everyone has to start somewhere.
Yes you can transport the gun the way you are talking about but if this is your first gun then a handgun safety course would be extremely useful and recommended.

After you gain more confidence your healthy fear of guns will turn into a respect for guns.

The more responsible people with guns the better.

Do you have any more questions

END_THE_FED

With no CPL you can carry an UNloaded pistol in a vehicle as long as it is not concealed on your person. You do NOT need to store the loaded mags separately as long as they are not in the pistol. You do not need any case.

Like leather neck said you could duct tape the mag to the pistol and the pistol to your head and its legal.
When you leave the car the car must be locked and the pistol out of view.

With no CPL you can NOT carry a concealed pistol on your person. However there are some exceptions.

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper

So without a CPL if the unloaded pistol is in your pocket it must be in a "closed opaque case or secure wrapper" the case does not need to be locked and the loaded mags CAN be in the case right next to the gun.

For your backpack you could just put the pistol and mags in the bag and you dont need the other case.

here is a link to the Firearm laws of WA. State http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Last edited: