• I dont agree at all

26 57.78%
  • your an idiot

21 46.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone's opinion on open carry in general please keep it friendly

Everyone's opinion on open carry in general please keep it friendly

Im from NY so I had to deal with background checks saftey courses etc. I am 100% all for open carrying a sidearm. I have a few things that bother me that I hear from other people about their views with open carry. I do not intend this to hurt anyone or start a heated debate because I respect everyones opinion that they are entitled to. I just want to voice my opinion and see what others think about the topics.
    #1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont want felons or crazies running around with pistols)
    #2- I believe every permit owner should have to take a saftey course on the basic workings of a handgun. and they should have to be a certain age 18 is what I think. (basically for the same reason you cant drink until your 21 RESPONSSIBILITY!! and i believe you should have to have basic saftey for just that reason basic saftey)
    #3- I believe people should have to add all firearms legally to their permits and should have to add guns to their permit whether or not it was bought at retail or private seller
    because you never know where or from who your buying a pistol from.
    I dont agree with people walking around with hammers cocked and ready. one in the chamber is fine but you shouldnt be hot all the time.
    these are just a few of my opinions. A scumbag criminal will not open carry and a handgun is like a fire extinguisher you need to have one but hopefully wont ever have to use it. police officers are not always the fastest ones to the scene. please respond to this post and please keep it friendly. also if there are any other new yorkers on thiis site please let me know and lets get some open carry rallies going!!!!!
    Last edited by BAHLZOUT2001; 09-06-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Banned
    I was going to select that last choice, but it makes no sense.

What do I have that can be referred to as my "an idiot," and why would that be a poll choice?

Seriously, I think your (not you're) stances are anti-Libery. You're (not your) in for it now.

My thoughts on any kind of permits, tests, licensing, etc....

Should firearms or firearm owners be subject to testing to receive a license to carry a firearm?
    The Argument Against
    Author Nick Smith
    No, no, no... it says "....shall not be infringed." no training, no class, no license, nada...the government is to be absent from a citizens right to 'keep' (own) and 'bear' (carry, open or concealed).

Now for one minute let's tear apart this stupid licensing idea.

You take ONE test to drive a car when you are 16 and then NEVER have to prove competency again. The test is simple, multiple choice and teaches you nothing that you can't read on your own. You take ONE driving test and then NEVER have to prove your ability ever again, EVER. Your driver’s license is recognized in any of the 50 states. Therefore, you can have learned to drive in Alaska with very little traffic, yet your license is good in New York, New York or Los Angeles, CA.

You can therefore be 66 years old and have not taken a test, written or physical in 50 YEARS. Do you think cars have changed in the last 50 years? The 'you have to have a license to drive' argument doesn't hold water, it is a joke. How many times driving have you said to yourself; 'that old man shouldn't be driving', 'that woman shouldn't be driving', 'that immigrant shouldn't be driving', 'that teenager shouldn't be driving?' We have all said this to ourselves. The argument simply is ridiculous and is now null and void.

And even with licensing, we still have; drunk drivers, negligent drivers, hit and runs, get away (from crime) drivers, stolen cars, speeding in school zones and more.

YOU SEE THAT LICENSING DRIVERS (AND CARS) DOES NOTHING TO PREVENT CRIME FROM CARS...OR FROM DRIVERS.

We must all simply accept that we choose to live in a free society. In a free society their are inherit risks and there is evil and there is great joy. Part of living in a free society is that we must accept responsibility for our actions. There are things in a free society that people will always not like and will always be opposed to and never agree upon, we must learn to accept that and yet choose to live together in peace and respect.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    Live Free or Die!

post messup in the poll

i screwed that poll up it was meant to mean your an idiot coming from the posters to the poll directed towards me sorry for confusion

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BAHLZOUT2001 View Post
    i screwed that poll up it was meant to mean your an idiot coming from the posters to the poll directed towards me sorry for confusion
    Well, writing English, with proper punctuation and capitalization would help there.

For example:

I screwed that poll up. It was meant to mean, "You're an idiot," coming from you posters to the poll, directed toward me. Sorry for the confusion.
    Of course, most folks still won't think that they are the "idiot" to which the poll choice refers.

I think it's bullsh!t that we even have to pay a tax or register Class 3 weapons. We should be able to buy the exact same weapons (firearms) that the military uses. That was the original intent of the 2a.

Im from NY so I had to deal with background checks saftey courses etc. I am 100% all for open carrying a sidearm. I have a few things that bother me that I hear from other people about their views with open carry. I do not intend this to hurt anyone or start a heated debate because I respect everyones opinion that they are entitled to. I just want to voice my opinion and see what others think about the topics.
    #1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont want felons or crazies running around with pistols)
    #2- I believe every permit owner should have to take a saftey course on the basic workings of a handgun. and they should have to be a certain age 18 is what I think. (basically for the same reason you cant drink until your 21 RESPONSSIBILITY!! and i believe you should have to have basic saftey for just that reason basic saftey)
    #3- I believe people should have to add all firearms legally to their permits and should have to add guns to their permit whether or not it was bought at retail or private seller
    I dont agree with people walking around with hammers cocked and ready. one in the chamber is fine but you shouldnt be hot all the time.
    these are just a few of my opinions. A scumbag criminal will not open carry and a handgun is like a fire extinguisher you need to have one but hopefully wont ever have to use it. police officers are not always the fastest ones to the scene. please respond to this post and please keep it friendly. also if there are any other new yorkers on thiis site please let me know and lets get some open carry rallies going!!!!!
    #1 Even with New York's incredible system of training and permitting to even be allowed to purchase a gun the "Crazies" still have them. Anyone that thinks permitting and/or requiring training is going to stop the crazies from carrying and/or using a firearm is crazy.
    #2 When do we start requiring safety classes to be allowed to use kitchen knives; An awful lot of people have been killed by knives -- even unintentionally.
    #3 Why even have a permit to buy a gun? Do you really honestly believe that requiring someone to have a permit to purchase a gun is going to stop a criminal (who is already planning on breaking the law) from breaking the law and obtaining a gun without said permit?

My $.02
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP #1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont want felons or crazies running around with pistols)
    Like the government, for instance?

I'm guessing, then, you would be in favor of every government executive and judicial officer being thoroughly tested, back-round checked, and safety-trained--before he is allowed to control and direct armed government agents. Right? I mean, really. Worse than just a government agent with a gun, these are the guys who direct the agents with the guns. Wouldn't these be the first people that needed a thorough mental evaluation, training, testing, back-round checking? I can only mis-direct my one gun. These guys can mis-direct numerous guns in the hands of government agents. Just ask the boys at Lexington Green about the royal Secretary of State who sent Gage and his redcoats to seize the colonists arms and powder.

On a more serious note, nobody wants felons or psychotics running around with pistols. But, an even worse solution is to have government dictating who can and can't be armed. Government has already shown beyond a doubt that it cannot be trusted with rights, and this lesson has been old since Magna Carta.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-06-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Civil we can do; friendly is pushing it. Are you sure you have the right forum? The is OCDO, not the forum for the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence. You sound very anti to me. Some states already have at least some of these requirements; it hasn't reduced crime in the least. As someone else said criminals will still get guns regardless of the laws you pass because they don't observe them anyway. All you do with such restrictions is hamstring the law abiding citizens from protecting themselves. I doubt very much you will find anyone on this forum who will be in favor of the laws you propose. Most people carry however they feel most comfortable, as is their right. It is not up to you or anyone else to tell someone how they should carry their gun or defend themselves. If condition one makes YOU uncomfortable, don't carry that way! But don't take that right away from other people. I carry in condition one, the hammer on my 1911 cocked and locked. The bad guy who decides to try to attack me isn't going to warn me in advance, so I want every advantage I can have to respond. Maybe those are the restrictions you have to live under in New York; I don't know that much about New York's gun laws. You might want to consider relocating to a freer state where you have some self defense rights.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

What do I have that can be referred to as my "an idiot," and why would that be a poll choice?

Seriously, I think your (not you're) stances are anti-Libery. You're (not your) in for it now.
    Since you are all for proper grammer, spelling, etc., eye, it's anti-liberty not anti libery. Sorry, couldn't resist ribbing you!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Since you are all for proper grammer, spelling, etc., eye, it's anti-liberty not anti libery. Sorry, couldn't resist ribbing you!
    Oh sweet, sweet irony. Do ye know no compassion?
    Last edited by Jack House; 09-07-2010 at 01:01 AM.

it appears to me that the OP is all for permits and registration. i don't think he/she's going to get on well around here.

what part of "...shall not be infringed...." is so hard to understand?
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

#1 - It is a right, not a privilege. No regulation. If a felon is too dangerous to own a gun, he's too dangerous to be on the street.

#2 - Again, it is a right, not a privilege. No regulation.

#3 - No entity, public, private, or governmental, has any right to know what weapons I possess.

Locked & Loaded-absolutely. I carry condition 1, as I believe most do. I want to be able to use my weapon as quickly and easily as possible-meaning one hand operation. I do not have a hammer on my carry weapon, but if I did you can bet I'd still be condition 1. Anyone with experience knows that guns don't magically discharge. Carrying cocked is only a problem for an uneducated person.

been banned before??

i dont think you are from N.Y.
    good luck trying to have an OC rally, N.Y. doesnt allow OC
    you are a quasi anti that likes to argue
    i wonder if!! erichonda30, ericfromparhump, vforvendetta, notforlong, ihaveasmallone would ask questions like these?
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 09-07-2010 at 03:02 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by mosinnagant View Post
    thats no me
    but hopefully this guy is anti mosque like me
    Hi Eric
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

never give up!

i got banned for good from glock talk
    my other computer is messed up so i using the crappy 1
    think ive had 70 or so screen names since march
    and for that, you are my hero!

Talking

Well, you asked for some opinions so here is mine in as friendly a manner as I can muster. You can take your background checks, "phsyc checks", "saftey course", permits, registration and concerns about cocked hammers and shove them into your keister. Have a nice day!

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    I am 100% all for open carrying a sidearm.
    Are you really? Because that sounds a lot like what the politicians say about firearms in general right before they try to restrict our rights.

#1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc[sic] checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont[sic] want felons or crazies running around with pistols)
    I don't know why this keeps being thrown out. Why should you have to submit to a one-time background check to carry. We have to take a one time driver's test, and see how many people out there now drive irresponsibly? No one-time background check is going to prevent anyone from committing a crime in the future, and a constant monitoring of people who carry would be unethical, illegal, and too expensive for too little benefit.

And for felons and 'crazies', why can't they carry, again? Why does someone with a treatable medical condition lose the right to self-defense? Why does someone who has never committed a violent crime, but nevertheless falls victim to the government's manufactured definition of 'felon', lose the right to self defense? What if the government decides jay-walking is a felony? What if the government decides getting angry is a psychiatric condition?
    #2- I believe every permit owner should have to take a saftey[sic] course on the basic workings of a handgun. and they should have to be a certain age 18 is what I think. (basically for the same reason you cant drink until your 21 RESPONSSIBILITY!![sic] and i believe you should have to have basic saftey[sic] for just that reason basic saftey[sic])
    You can't be serious. When I turned 16 I was responsible enough to DRIVE a deadly weapon?Then at 18 I was magically responsible enough to carry the ability to violently end a human life? Then when I turned 21 I was finally, magically, responsible enough to hold my liquor? I believe that every gun owner and carrier ought to take safety classes or otherwise learn to use the weapon they have chosen. I believe the government should monitor the ones teaching the classes to make sure they are not taking advantage and leading people astray. I don't believe they should choose for me what classes to take or what I can do before or after I take them. Responsibility has everything to do with the individual and nothing to do with how long he has been alive.
    What possible good could come of this? I want to hear one example of where lives were saved because someone registered a gun that they otherwise lawfully acquired.
    I dont[sic] agree with people walking around with hammers cocked and ready. one in the chamber is fine but you shouldnt[sic] be hot all the time.
    I guess I'm out of luck. I will have to carry condition 3 or risk a ND to comply with your absurd abstraction of what is and isn't a safe way to carry. I promise you that my cocked and locked 1911 is just as 'safe' as, or 'safer' than, any Glock. The most important safety is the one between your ears, and yours seems to be in need of repair.
    You lost me at 'a scumbag criminal... is like a fire extinguisher'. I appreciate you taking the time to post your opinions, but they are mostly ill-informed and poorly presented. I hope you took the time to read my replies, and I hope you take them to heart and reexamine your position.

No X 3...

1911 style pistols are designed to be carried 'cocked and locked,' it is no different than any other semi-auto being chambered. The difference between a 1991 and a Glock? A chambered Glock has no hammer. It's striker is cocked when the round is chambered. Same effect only with the 1911 you see the cocked hammer but there is a thumb safety.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 09-07-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I was going to vote for #3 but then I realized you misspelled "your" so had to vote for that.

Congratulations on your indoctrination being completed!

With "friends" like you in the gun community......
    Last edited by Bobarino; 09-08-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Banned
    So far, the only one to agree with the OP is...

...wait for it...

HIMSELF!

Wrong forum. You were looking for Brady. Good thing you're from New Jerk. Your opinions fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    #1 - It is a right, not a privilege. No regulation. If a felon is too dangerous to own a gun, he's too dangerous to be on the street.

#2 - Again, it is a right, not a privilege. No regulation.

#3 - No entity, public, private, or governmental, has any right to know what weapons I possess.

Locked & Loaded-absolutely. I carry condition 1, as I believe most do. I want to be able to use my weapon as quickly and easily as possible-meaning one hand operation. I do not have a hammer on my carry weapon, but if I did you can bet I'd still be condition 1. Anyone with experience knows that guns don't magically discharge. Carrying cocked is only a problem for an uneducated person.
    +1
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by buster81 View Post
    Well, you asked for some opinions so here is mine in as friendly a manner as I can muster. You can take your background checks, "phsyc checks", "saftey course", permits, registration and concerns about cocked hammers and shove them into your keister. Have a nice day!
    What he said.

BTW, since you explained in another post about choice #4, it was my choice.

BAHLZOUT2001 said
    post messup in the poll
    Last edited by rodbender; 09-08-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Sorry, my bad...

Im on a touchpad and accidently chose "I totally agree" when I meant to hit "I think you're an idiot, please read the constitution and then take a citizens test" option. My apologies.
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast