• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Everyone's opinion on open carry in general please keep it friendly

Do you agree with any of these opinions

• Total voters

buster81

Well, you asked for some opinions so here is mine in as friendly a manner as I can muster. You can take your background checks, "phsyc checks", "saftey course", permits, registration and concerns about cocked hammers and shove them into your keister. Have a nice day!

Brimstone Baritone

I am 100% all for open carrying a sidearm.
Are you really? Because that sounds a lot like what the politicians say about firearms in general right before they try to restrict our rights.

#1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc[sic] checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont[sic] want felons or crazies running around with pistols)
I don't know why this keeps being thrown out. Why should you have to submit to a one-time background check to carry. We have to take a one time driver's test, and see how many people out there now drive irresponsibly? No one-time background check is going to prevent anyone from committing a crime in the future, and a constant monitoring of people who carry would be unethical, illegal, and too expensive for too little benefit.

And for felons and 'crazies', why can't they carry, again? Why does someone with a treatable medical condition lose the right to self-defense? Why does someone who has never committed a violent crime, but nevertheless falls victim to the government's manufactured definition of 'felon', lose the right to self defense? What if the government decides jay-walking is a felony? What if the government decides getting angry is a psychiatric condition?
#2- I believe every permit owner should have to take a saftey[sic] course on the basic workings of a handgun. and they should have to be a certain age 18 is what I think. (basically for the same reason you cant drink until your 21 RESPONSSIBILITY!![sic] and i believe you should have to have basic saftey[sic] for just that reason basic saftey[sic])
You can't be serious. When I turned 16 I was responsible enough to DRIVE a deadly weapon?Then at 18 I was magically responsible enough to carry the ability to violently end a human life? Then when I turned 21 I was finally, magically, responsible enough to hold my liquor? I believe that every gun owner and carrier ought to take safety classes or otherwise learn to use the weapon they have chosen. I believe the government should monitor the ones teaching the classes to make sure they are not taking advantage and leading people astray. I don't believe they should choose for me what classes to take or what I can do before or after I take them. Responsibility has everything to do with the individual and nothing to do with how long he has been alive.
#3- I believe people should have to add all firearms legally to their permits and should have to add guns to their permit whether or not it was bought at retail or private seller
because you never know where or from who your buying a pistol from.
What possible good could come of this? I want to hear one example of where lives were saved because someone registered a gun that they otherwise lawfully acquired.
I dont[sic] agree with people walking around with hammers cocked and ready. one in the chamber is fine but you shouldnt[sic] be hot all the time.
I guess I'm out of luck. I will have to carry condition 3 or risk a ND to comply with your absurd abstraction of what is and isn't a safe way to carry. I promise you that my cocked and locked 1911 is just as 'safe' as, or 'safer' than, any Glock. The most important safety is the one between your ears, and yours seems to be in need of repair.
these are just a few of my opinions. A scumbag criminal will not open carry and a handgun is like a fire extinguisher you need to have one but hopefully wont ever have to use it. police officers are not always the fastest ones to the scene. please respond to this post and please keep it friendly. also if there are any other new yorkers on thiis site please let me know and lets get some open carry rallies going!!!!!:D

You lost me at 'a scumbag criminal... is like a fire extinguisher'. I appreciate you taking the time to post your opinions, but they are mostly ill-informed and poorly presented. I hope you took the time to read my replies, and I hope you take them to heart and reexamine your position.

paramedic70002

No X 3...

1911 style pistols are designed to be carried 'cocked and locked,' it is no different than any other semi-auto being chambered. The difference between a 1991 and a Glock? A chambered Glock has no hammer. It's striker is cocked when the round is chambered. Same effect only with the 1911 you see the cocked hammer but there is a thumb safety.

Last edited:

Bobarino

I was going to vote for #3 but then I realized you misspelled "your" so had to vote for that.

Congratulations on your indoctrination being completed!

With "friends" like you in the gun community......

Last edited:

Walt_Kowalski

#1 - It is a right, not a privilege. No regulation. If a felon is too dangerous to own a gun, he's too dangerous to be on the street.

#2 - Again, it is a right, not a privilege. No regulation.

#3 - No entity, public, private, or governmental, has any right to know what weapons I possess.

Locked & Loaded-absolutely. I carry condition 1, as I believe most do. I want to be able to use my weapon as quickly and easily as possible-meaning one hand operation. I do not have a hammer on my carry weapon, but if I did you can bet I'd still be condition 1. Anyone with experience knows that guns don't magically discharge. Carrying cocked is only a problem for an uneducated person.

+1

rodbender

Well, you asked for some opinions so here is mine in as friendly a manner as I can muster. You can take your background checks, "phsyc checks", "saftey course", permits, registration and concerns about cocked hammers and shove them into your keister. Have a nice day!

What he said.

BTW, since you explained in another post about choice #4, it was my choice.

BAHLZOUT2001 said
post messup in the poll
i screwed that poll up it was meant to mean your an idiot coming from the posters to the poll directed towards me sorry for confusion

Last edited:

Snakemathis

Sorry, my bad...

Im on a touchpad and accidently chose "I totally agree" when I meant to hit "I think you're an idiot, please read the constitution and then take a citizens test" option. My apologies.

bennie1986

+1,000,000! LOL thats 100% on the money!

March Hare

Well...

I think the poll results pretty much sum it up!

I open carry condition 1, 12+1.
No background checks, no permits (open or concealed) and no psych exams!

Your idea of 'resonable' is exactly what we here are fighting against, it's part of the 'register them to take them away later' plan.

Please don't try to 'help' by pushing these kinds of ideas, you're on the wrong side with them!

Keepin it civil...

-MH

cscitney87

If you aren't in prison- you should have the right to personal defense. Say you stab somebody and go to prison for 10 years. You get out and are a "free man" and should be able to defend yourself with a firearm. If you misuse your firearm- back to prison for you. Simple. Don't treat the man like he already killed someone with the gun.

Same with anyone- INCLUDING mentally handicap people. Look- if you are legally Slow and want to own/shoot a gun- You should be able to. If you misuse the privilege- you're going to Big Boy adult prison like everyone else.

Basically.. Unless you are behind bars- you are entitled to ownership of a firearm. If you use a firearm the wrong way- you'll be punished accordingly.

No need to charge a man with a crime he hasn't committed. So what if you think he'll hurt someone with it that's not my problem.

UtahRSO

I try to be nice. I totally disagree with the OP's reasoning. I won't call the OP an idiot. Sadly, there are many people who reason the same way he does. My own dad felt that way, and in many ways he had great ideas--just not where firearms were concerned.

I don't search for scenarios where I have to defend my life, and odds are I'll never be in such a situation. But people do get hit by lightning, win the lottery, and get attacked by bad people. I consider myself fairly proficient with the handgun(s) I carry. On the other hand, my sweet spouse is somewhat less proficient. Still, she deserves safety as much as anyone. We value our lives, and if lightning comes our way, neither one of us wants to be hindered by some stupid registration or testing.

When I carry, which is every place I'm legal (and that's the vast majority of places), I carry "cocked and locked." If the worst happens, I don't want my response to be slowed because my firearm isn't "hot."

.45acp

View Poll Results: Do you agree with any of these opinions Voters:34. You have already voted on this poll.
0% I agree with some 0
5.88% I totally agree 2
55.88% I dont agree at all 19
52.94% your (You are) an idiot 18

You should try Huffington Post, you will find "your kind' over there. Most would fit the category number 4.

I’m starting to think we should have a permitting process to ensure psychotics and crazys don’t use a keyboard…..that is the most dangerous thing our society faces today. As proof, I submit Obama.

This is the kindest thing I could think of to say.

Steve

Last edited:

eye95

Actually, the totally agree is 0%.

One vote is the OP agreeing with himself, the other was an accident.

Just another hit-and-run troll.

("Your an idiot" is an Internet classic. What irony!)

Hef

Im from NY so I had to deal with background checks saftey courses etc. I am 100% all for open carrying a sidearm. I have a few things that bother me that I hear from other people about their views with open carry. I do not intend this to hurt anyone or start a heated debate because I respect everyones opinion that they are entitled to. I just want to voice my opinion and see what others think about the topics.
#1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont want felons or crazies running around with pistols)

What would lead you to incorrectly believe that "felons or crazies" wouldn't carry a gun without a permit? How could a permit system prevent them from doing so?

#2- I believe every permit owner should have to take a saftey course on the basic workings of a handgun. and they should have to be a certain age 18 is what I think. (basically for the same reason you cant drink until your 21 RESPONSSIBILITY!! and i believe you should have to have basic saftey for just that reason basic saftey)

It's a right, not a privilege. When the free exercise of a right is restricted based on conditions, it is no longer a right. It has become a privilege.

#3- I believe people should have to add all firearms legally to their permits and should have to add guns to their permit whether or not it was bought at retail or private seller because you never know where or from who your buying a pistol from.

I know where I've bought every gun I've ever owned. The government doesn't, nor do they have a need to know. In my free state, we don't register firearms (since that is what you're really advocating), and we aren't going to in my lifetime. That's the way it should be.

I dont agree with people walking around with hammers cocked and ready. one in the chamber is fine but you shouldnt be hot all the time.

I carry a 1911. How do I go about safely carrying with a round chambered and the hammer down? What exactly is the reason to do so? Has there been an epidemic of handguns with exposed hammers accidentally discharging? What about the safeties?

these are just a few of my opinions. A scumbag criminal will not open carry and a handgun is like a fire extinguisher you need to have one but hopefully wont ever have to use it. police officers are not always the fastest ones to the scene. please respond to this post and please keep it friendly. also if there are any other new yorkers on thiis site please let me know and lets get some open carry rallies going!!!!!:D

Overall, I think you're a 'tard. I think you might own a gun, but you have yet to fully understand the right to own it. It could be as simple as you have been indoctrinated into the false liberal understanding of gun rights that has infected NY State, and simply need to be shown the light.

So, welcome to the gun world. Read as much as you can, learn, and in time you'll either decide to move to a free state, and enjoy your rights as an American, or you'll realize you're content to be a subject in an oppressive society.

merc460

To the OP:

You are definitely from New York! No doubt about that. I voted that I don't agree with any of what you had said and the reason is simple:

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution says that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The states that either follow that as much as possible: Vermont, Alaska and Arizona have very low crime rates and no gun ownership problems (accidents, blood flowing inthe streets, etc.) The states that come close to following the 2nd Amendment such as WA, WY, MT, CO, ID, NV and the other Gold Star open carry states are the same, they have low crime rates and no gun ownership problems.

Your fears are brought about by the propaganda that is rampant in the this country, and especially in states such as New York - propaganda that has been pushed by the anti-gun groups like the Brady Campaign and others. Your fears have been proven to be untrue by the statistics from free America. The biggest gun problems occur in states that have the most gun control laws. We've tried your way since 1968. In states that have embraced fully your way, their crime rates have skyrocketed and more criminals have more guns than law abiding citizens. Your way just does not work, my friend. We've tried it.

I would not call you an idiot. You are a victim.

Well said.