Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Wife brought home an XD with a thumb safety

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio, ,
    Posts
    155

    Wife brought home an XD with a thumb safety

    Sunday morning I sold a gun for enough to buy a new XD 45 service model. I was tired and sent the wife to the gun store to pick one up for me.

    She came home with the thumb safety version which I never even thought about specifying to NOT get.

    This store isn't open on Mondays, so I had planned on exchanging it Tuesday (I am a regular customer, so it will be no problem).

    After doing some reading up on this model some say a lot of cops prefer a thumb safety for gun grab situations, that it slows down BG's and bbuys time to react etc.

    Any thoughts on the XD with a safety from fellow OCers?

    I still plan on exchangeing it tomarrow unless I get some complelling opinions why I shouldn't.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member XDSTEEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    216
    Depends really. I own a XD40 without the thumb saftey. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. what you like.
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by XDSTEEL View Post
    Depends really. I own a XD40 without the thumb saftey. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. what you like.
    I completely agree. Train yourself to use it and you'll be comfortable with it. If you already do not like them, then part ways with it. This is sort of a moot argument with the XD as it has a safety built into the grip that will not allow the trigger to be pulled or the slide to be racked if the grip safety is not properly depressed. But I can definitely see a market for it with those that want the added safety device, environments involving children, and possibly the gun-grab with a LEO (though I do not know any LEOs carrying XD's). The gun-grab is why they have Level III and IV holsters as LEOs, some BG has tried and succeeded, unfortunately even those can allow a BG to get the firearm.

    So I'm not good at compelling you to keep it. I would use what I'm used to, but what works for me may not work for you.

    Fight like you train.
    Last edited by heresyourdipstickjimmy; 09-07-2010 at 03:57 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Snakemathis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Prescott Valley, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    107
    I know a few deputies who carry an XD on duty with the thumb safety and the level 3 retention. I understand the reasoning behind it because for the avarage street thug, operating a level 3 holster and then the multiple safeties of the XD would be excrutiating. Thus giving enough time for a deputy to get to his BUG and eliminate the threat. That being said, I can disengage a level 3 holster and every safety on an XD in a matter of seconds. So just as said above, it isnt so much the security of whom you will encounter, as it is your comfortability with it and you ability to be proficient with the type of safety devices you use while carrying your firearm.
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio, ,
    Posts
    155
    I decided to exchange it & of course with a slew of XD's on the shelf I'll have to wait a couple days for them to get me an XD 45 service without the safety.

    Does anything ever not turn into a pain in the butt? LOL

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Tx
    Posts
    326
    I think the Service XD 45 is the only one they make with a thumb safety optional. It was made so they could submit it in the military 45 compatition, which specified a thumb safety. I agree with other posters; it depends on what you're comfortable with and training. Another level of the 'officer safety' thought is weapons with magazine disconnects. I know one cop friend who practiced hitting the mag release, letting go of the now useless gun and drawing his backup ankle holstered J frame.

  7. #7
    Regular Member sFe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    139
    I have an xd45 service with the thumb safety. I like it for throwing it in my pocket when going from car to inside house or just taking the dog out back. When I'm carrying it in a holster I leave it off. Just leave it off if you don't want to use it.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

    When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

  8. #8
    Regular Member Big Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    443
    I prefer no safety. Less stuff to do.

  9. #9
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    I have the XD 45 Service with the thumb safety, and I like it. It doesn't extend my draw time at all, and I like the advantage of someone not knowing about it having difficulty.

    Also, I grew up on a 1911, so it's second nature.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I have the XD 45 Service with the thumb safety, and I like it. It doesn't extend my draw time at all, and I like the advantage of someone not knowing about it having difficulty.

    Also, I grew up on a 1911, so it's second nature.
    +1

    My first handgun was a 1911 and the whole act of drawing includes flipping down the thumb safety.

    To me the XD with thumb safety is the perfectly beautiful love child of a 1911 and a Glock

    I was taught the only safety to rely on is trigger finger control... but IMO it never hurts to have a backup... or in this case... three!

  11. #11
    XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX
    Guest
    I have a berretta m9 with thumb safety and it does not slow down my draw time, it's just a part of the movement. I think any type can be adapted very easily so long as it fits your hand with comfort...do what feels right for you.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    I think the Service XD 45 is the only one they make with a thumb safety optional. It was made so they could submit it in the military 45 compatition, which specified a thumb safety. I agree with other posters; it depends on what you're comfortable with and training. Another level of the 'officer safety' thought is weapons with magazine disconnects. I know one cop friend who practiced hitting the mag release, letting go of the now useless gun and drawing his backup ankle holstered J frame.
    It is only good if you do not have a round in the chamber. I always see that in movies they will be aiming guns at each other and then remove mags and start a fist fight or something. There would still be that 1 dangerous bullet in the chamber. S.W.A.T. is a movie that had a scene like this.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyOrangeJuice View Post
    It is only good if you do not have a round in the chamber. I always see that in movies they will be aiming guns at each other and then remove mags and start a fist fight or something. There would still be that 1 dangerous bullet in the chamber. S.W.A.T. is a movie that had a scene like this.
    Some handguns (not the XD) will not fire when the magazine is removed, even with one in the chamber.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •