• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need an IWB holster suggestion for use w/ extended mag release

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I have a Glock 34 that has an extended mag release. I love the set-up and I'm considering sending my Glock 19 in to have the same parts put on the 19 as the 34.

Do you folks have any IWB suggestions that won't cause a problem with the Glock's blocky extended mag release?

I checked my Crossbreed Supertuck with the 34 and discovered (as I suspected) that if I move just right, the extended mag release gets pushed as that's the side of the holster between my body and the mag release. I can only imagine the shock that would bring me if I tried to draw only to have my magazine fall out like in a blooper reel from a Jackie Chan movie.

I won't be surprised if I get Kydex suggestions either. I'm keeping options open on the issue.

Last edited:

mosinnagant

what about dremeling it down a little so its longer then the standard mag release but not to long

Dreamer

Extended mag releases are for competition and the range. They are NOT suitable for defensive carry, an DEFINITELY are not recommended for CC.

The extended mag release getting snagged on holsters or clothing will be the LEAST of your worries. What is likely to happen if you DO find a holster that "works", is that the mag release will get depressed when you're bending over ot twisting, or sitting in your car, and when you go to draw your gun, the mag will fall out, or be partially out and cause a cycling malfunction...

Put the stock mag release back on your gun if you're going to carry it. Leave the extended release for the range and IPSC courses...

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

You might try making a hole or a notch in the holster for the mag release to clear.

Probably not a viable option at this time. The extended mag release stands a chance of hanging up in the notch that way.

Extended mag releases are for competition and the range. They are NOT suitable for defensive carry, an DEFINITELY are not recommended for CC.

The extended mag release getting snagged on holsters or clothing will be the LEAST of your worries. What is likely to happen if you DO find a holster that "works", is that the mag release will get depressed when you're bending over ot twisting, or sitting in your car, and when you go to draw your gun, the mag will fall out, or be partially out and cause a cycling malfunction...

Put the stock mag release back on your gun if you're going to carry it. Leave the extended release for the range and IPSC courses...

I agree. I'm exploring other options for my IDPA pistols just to have explored them. As I said in my OP, I'm open to the Kydex IWB's, I just wondered if anyone else has used an extended mag release with an IWB and how that went for them. Product feedback research on my part I guess.

I've become spoiled on the extended mag release, but I don't have that option on my carry piece due to the holster of choice (Crossbreed Supertuck).

.45acp

Bingo, Well said.

Gadgets and accesories do not belong on a carry or combat guns.....leave the game gadgets for the games. I thought that the premise of IDPA was to shoot carry guns.....I guess not.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Probably not a viable option at this time. The extended mag release stands a chance of hanging up in the notch that way.

Well . . .yeah . . ?

You asked how to do something you shouldn't be doing. This is your only way to do it.

There is a place for rooney guns -- the competition range. On the street, you need SIMPLE and RELIABLE. The only three "extended" or "high profile" accessories you need are the safety, front sight and read sight. You don't want extended safety or slide release, nor anything that attaches to a Picatinny rail.

If you want a carry gun with lots of accessories, get a Man from U.N.C.L.E Special, with scope, stock, flash hider, barrel extension, suppressor and so on. If you're not going that far, you're going to lose the "Most Options On One Gun" competition anyway.