• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to New Orleans

Morh

Hubert (One-Slow County), North Carolina, USA
Hi everyone, I OC up in NC but im going to be in New Orleans for about 2 weeks, well ive been searching the forums, and decided to ask straight up are there any laws or "quarks" about LA (New Orleans specifically) that i need to know about? Also my friend has his CC so he wanted to know about that. Thanks for any help you could offer.

sraacke

LA, New Orleans in particular, is like many places in the USofA. Hard working people living life and criminals lurking around among them, some disguised as politicians and even police. Just like in New York, Chicage and any other major city.
As you are already probably aware OC is generally legal here but not well accepted and many police are openly hostile to it. Regardless of the constitutionality of the practice you may be subject to a Terry stop, disarmed and possibly arrested. In La, to carry openly within 1000 feet of a school you will need a CHP. You will not be able to openly carry in any bar or a resturant which serves alcohol for consumption on site. Expect parks and recreation areas to have NO Weapon signs or bans via policies.
IF you have your CC and are unsure of any laws or areas you plan to visit the mantra "Concealed means concealed" would probably be wise. Out of sight, out of mind.
Open Carry in a state such as LA should really be thought about carefully before you do it. We are not as far along in OC acceptance or rights as many other states and care should be taken.
Be careful and enjoy your time in our State.

Last edited:

estcrh

Hi everyone, I OC up in NC but im going to be in New Orleans for about 2 weeks, well ive been searching the forums, and decided to ask straight up are there any laws or "quarks" about LA (New Orleans specifically) that i need to know about? Also my friend has his CC so he wanted to know about that. Thanks for any help you could offer.

If you could give us an idea of were you will be staying and the areas you will be visiting people who live in those areas could give you a more detailed reply on how and were you can and can not carry a gun openly or concealed.