Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: WVEC article on ODU students for carry...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post WVEC article on ODU students for carry...

    Saw this on TV last night. Inaccurate on a few facts.

    http://www.wvec.com/home/ODU-student...102300504.html

    Do all colleges in NC and VA restrict or ban weapons on campus?
    Are there "crowded bars" in Virginia? I thought we had no bars, just restaurants that serve alcohol?

    The article here clarifies that 21 is the age for a CHP, but on TV they just stated that nobody under 21 could carry.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I'm going to give them a B+ for the article.

    Generally a recitation of the facts, with, as the OP noted, a few facts stated unclearly. I did not notice any unfactual statements other than referring to establishments that sell barely the legal minimum amount of food to meet the legal requirement as "bars". I'm supposing that "crowded" refers to approaching, but not exceeding, the maximum allowable capacity as set by the Fire Marshal.

    The closing sentence clinched the B+ grade as opposed to gigging them for every petty detail.

    stay safe.

  3. #3
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037
    I don't know Skid. Read the penultimate sentence. I think it speaks volumes more than the last.

    I taught a class there last semester and I did not want to go around unarmed... and neither did several of my students.

    This sentence:
    "People who obey the law and go through the permit system should be able to carry their guns anywhere."
    should be revised to read "All people have a right and responsibility to defend themselves anywhere" or something along those lines.

    I do not believe that granting "privilege" carry only to a small minority of upperclassmen is bold nor laudable.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I don't know Skid. Read the penultimate sentence. I think it speaks volumes more than the last.

    I taught a class there last semester and I did not want to go around unarmed... and neither did several of my students.

    This sentence:should be revised to read "All people have a right and responsibility to defend themselves anywhere" or something along those lines.

    I do not believe that granting "privilege" carry only to a small minority of upperclassmen is bold nor laudable.
    The sentence you quoted, is a direct quote from a student there...Nick Foxx...it wasn't the writer's opinion. Revising it would be intentionally mis-quoting that person.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA, ,
    Posts
    29
    That is just one individual's opinion, though. While I think most of us would agree that carrying in any manner is a fundamental right, most of the push for carry on campus deals exclusively with concealed carry. I looked into starting a students for concealed carry on campus chapter at William and Mary my sophomore year, but in joining their movement they ask that you only advocate for licensed concealed carry when speaking on behalf of the group. That didn't sit well with me so I just started my own group

    But that's all besides the point. I think in the grand scene of things that article actually leaned in favor of carry. Granted, it refers to only a single form of carry as a special privileged, but any carry for university students is a good start in my opinion, so any positive media attention is great. Just think back to the guns in bars debate; much of the media was talking about blood in the streets.
    Last edited by mpd8488; 09-07-2010 at 12:59 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by fully_armed_biker View Post
    The sentence you quoted, is a direct quote from a student there...Nick Foxx...it wasn't the writer's opinion. Revising it would be intentionally mis-quoting that person.
    I appreciate that and I did not mean to alter the context of the statement.

    That was made to imply how the statement SHOULD have been uttered in order to provide the most impact.

    I did not say the man should be deliberately misquoted. Apologies if that's how it was interpreted.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    snip...
    That was made to imply how the statement SHOULD have been uttered in order to provide the most impact.
    ...snip
    That statement...I can agree with you 110%!
    Last edited by fully_armed_biker; 09-07-2010 at 01:44 PM.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I appreciate that and I did not mean to alter the context of the statement.

    That was made to imply how the statement SHOULD have been uttered in order to provide the most impact.

    I did not say the man should be deliberately misquoted. Apologies if that's how it was interpreted.
    Agreed that it would have been nice if the reportalist had written the line. However, he did write
    Universities in Utah and Colorado that allow guns on campus have not reported acts of violence.
    and for that ought to be given the credit due.

    stay safe.

  9. #9
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741
    Freshman Meghan Nagle says firearms at school could distract students from learning.

    "I'm always going to be wondering, who has a gun? I don't know if they're going to freak out and kill me."


    I would think that the crimes being committed would do more to distract the students than the thought that someone is legally carrying a firearm for their own protection. Hoever, that is just my opinion. I would agree that it is everyone's right and duty to protect themselves everywhere they go.
    Last edited by sccrref; 09-07-2010 at 07:05 PM.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Remember, Meghan has been brainwashed to believe that anybody who comes with 25 yards of a firearm will suddenly and uncontrollably turn into a raging psychopath who is probably going to burn, then pillage.

    Either that or she really wants to have a gun of her own so she can fix all those bullies who have made her life so far a sad dream, and therefore projects her fantasies onto everybody else.

    stay safe.

  11. #11
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by sccrref View Post
    Freshman Meghan Nagle says firearms at school could distract students from learning.

    "I'm always going to be wondering, who has a gun? I don't know if they're going to freak out and kill me."


    I would think that the crimes being committed would do more to distract the students than the thought that someone is legally carrying a firearm for their own protection. Hoever, that is just my opinion. I would agree that it is everyone's right and duty to protect themselves everywhere they go.
    Life is much simpler (and perhaps shorter) if only bad guys have the guns. That way, she doesn't have to worry about being killed by her fellow students.

    She should probably talk to MSC 45ACP's daughter.

  12. #12
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    The reporter's email:

    khopkins@wvec.com

    Ms. Hopkins,

    Having read your article, I must point out some problems:

    1. The Blue Ridge Community College (VA) does not ban guns.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124700997480908627.html

    2. There are no 'bars' in VA. The Code of VA only allows for restaurants to serve alcohol.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...00+cod+4.1-209

    3. Anyone age 18 and older may legally carry a firearm openly, subject to certain restrictions. You will not find a law in the Code of Virginia that states this. Here in VA, whatever is not illegal, is legal.

    You may want to research the carrying of firearms, and the laws involved. A good place to start is http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...p?130-Virginia or one of the many local firearms instructors in the area, such as Bob's Gun Shop: http://www.bobsgunshop.com/list.php?...052b9fa340e645 .

    If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  13. #13
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Life is much simpler (and perhaps shorter) if only bad guys have the guns. That way, she doesn't have to worry about being killed by her fellow students.

    She should probably talk to MSC 45ACP's daughter.
    Funny about that... She and I have been discussing alternatives to carrying. She's becoming proficient with an ASP expandable baton. It ain't her G-21, but it's better than 'nuthin'... I found my old ASP training tape and have been looking around for a class she can attend. I saw a gunshow advertising ASP training a few months ago and kick myself in the butt for not taking her to it. Now I can't find a hands-on class for her anywhere. I may get hold of the "old boys network" and a buddy that was an ASP instructor. Maybe he can get hold of some RedMan gear and foam batons for some serious hands on training.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  14. #14
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Funny about that... She and I have been discussing alternatives to carrying. She's becoming proficient with an ASP expandable baton. It ain't her G-21, but it's better than 'nuthin'... I found my old ASP training tape and have been looking around for a class she can attend. I saw a gunshow advertising ASP training a few months ago and kick myself in the butt for not taking her to it. Now I can't find a hands-on class for her anywhere. I may get hold of the "old boys network" and a buddy that was an ASP instructor. Maybe he can get hold of some RedMan gear and foam batons for some serious hands on training.
    We are always considering new classes to bring to our company's offerings. We haven't seen any requests for ASP training. I fondly recall carrying one myself.

    Anyway, we hope to add a special new class to our list by January if everything works out correctly. Its not ASP, but its something just as cool.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  15. #15
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    We are always considering new classes to bring to our company's offerings. We haven't seen any requests for ASP training. I fondly recall carrying one myself.

    Anyway, we hope to add a special new class to our list by January if everything works out correctly. Its not ASP, but its something just as cool.
    Thank you, ProShooter. I rummaged around the garage this past weekend to find my LE belt. Took the ASP apart and cleaned it up. Out of habit, I took both pairs of cuffs out and oiled them up, too. Cleaned the rust off the handcuff key and oiled that, too. [sheepish look] I haven't cleaned this stuff since I last wore the belt @ 2005. Even chrome-plated stuff rusts when its neglected. :-(

    Back OT: OC'd to get gas today at WaWa. No one noticed.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •