• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this 'sensible' gun regulation?

Dave Workman

mobeewan

I saw a similar article about the VA and Vet's with PTSD not long ago and it has me concerned for my father. Although he does not have PTSD he is a disabled vet and is 78. He fell off his front porch backwards bouncing his head off the sidewalk Dec 18, 2008 resulting in a closed brain injury. The doctors expected him to die in intensive care due to bleeding and swelling in his brain. They were able to treat the swelling and bleeding with medications and he survived without needing surgery. As you get older your brain shrinks and he had room inside his skull for the amount his brain swelled. Any bleeding in the brain is a stroke and I was told if he lived he would have problems with his speech and would be week on his right side.

He has made a full recovery, but it have been a very long 20 months of recovery.

His "speech problem" also included his ability to communicate, think, reason and make correct decisions.

A few months ago during his recouperation he asked his primary care doctor at the VA about going home (he was staying at my brothers house while recouperating). His doctor asked if he thought he might hurt himself and if there was any GUNS IN HIS HOUSE. He said he wasn't going to hurt himself, but agreed that the guns should not be there for a while. She said her boss says she has to ask. I had already secured them and had them at my house anyway since no one was staying at his house.

Since he is living on his own again now, driving places, doing some cooking, taking his meds and showering without help or anyone in the house in case he falls and remembering everything day to day I have already returned his firearms to him. I don't think it is a problem, however I will be inquiring at a future appointment at the VA if they have initiated anything in his records to strip his gun rights, but first at his next appointment I will tell his doctor I need a letter from her for his lawyer saying he is competent. I need it anyway since I need dad to get a new power of attorney made (thank GOD he had one with me as his power of attorney since he was not competent to handle his affairs). The current one is for me only and I need to have him add my brother as secondary in case something happens to me he won't be SOL and have to go to court and get appointed if my dad is unable to care for himself again and I am not around or incapacitated myself. I tried to get a new one to add my brother as secondary when dad was doing better, but he still had some memory problems and the lawyers clerk who was interviewing him before the lawyer drew up the papers did not think his memory was well enough to continue.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There are some who believe that anyone who has been exposed to extremely violent situations (combat, self-defense, etc.) is apt to have PTSD. A few of these misguide folks to whom I have spoken, also believe that everyone needs psychological help; many just don't know it.

My take is simple. Most people who I have encountered who have experienced such things are fine. They are happy to be alive and get on with their lives. Now our fuzzy-headed folks will tell you that while these people may seem to be fine, in reality they are a simmering cauldron just waiting to explode.

Bolderdash. Nonsense. Ok, there could be a few, but the vast majority I would bet are good to go.

Gunslinger

Well, I agree with them. No need for those who risked their lives for their country--and the 1st Amendment that keeps rags like the Washington Puke around, to have guns. Change we can believe in. **** them.

XD40coyote

I had no idea that all those WW2 vets had gone around on murderous rampages after surviving such things as the beaches at Normandy, Battle of the Bulge, and the Japanese theater. Heck the guys who liberated concentration camps must have been "shell shocked" enough to run around back home shooting at random people. And my grandma living in Paris under Nazi occupation, who had a tooth pulled by a nasty Gestapo, should have been rampaging as well.

On a side note, I have had what may have been mild PTSD twice- not combat related. The 2nd time involved harrassment by LEO and made me suffer depression for 2 years till the meds got right. Never at any time did I feel like going out on a shooting rampage. Instead I withdrew and got more agoriphobic.

I will also add that someone dealing with mental trauma who is not violent might become violent as a result of having their rights stripped w/out any due process. JBT activities by authorities may well trigger anger that keeps building. In such a case, the affected will just get guns illegally. Could have all been avoided in the first place if anti gunners hadn't meddled around using the JBT as their willing puppets. Though I cannot exactly name any time this has happened. I can think of cops going on rampages or shooting someone as murder. Let's disarm the cops.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I had no idea that all those WW2 vets had gone around on murderous rampages after surviving such things as the beaches at Normandy, Battle of the Bulge, and the Japanese theater. Heck the guys who liberated concentration camps must have been "shell shocked" enough to run around back home shooting at random people. And my grandma living in Paris under Nazi occupation, who had a tooth pulled by a nasty Gestapo, should have been rampaging as well.

On a side note, I have had what may have been mild PTSD twice- not combat related. The 2nd time involved harrassment by LEO and made me suffer depression for 2 years till the meds got right. Never at any time did I feel like going out on a shooting rampage. Instead I withdrew and got more agoriphobic.

I will also add that someone dealing with mental trauma who is not violent might become violent as a result of having their rights stripped w/out any due process. JBT activities by authorities may well trigger anger that keeps building. In such a case, the affected will just get guns illegally. Could have all been avoided in the first place if anti gunners hadn't meddled around using the JBT as their willing puppets. Though I cannot exactly name any time this has happened. I can think of cops going on rampages or shooting someone as murder. Let's disarm the cops.

I'll say this:

I've known guys who experienced $hit that should cause insanity seem to shrug it off, and live normally in spite of nightmares and other issues. I've also known pathetic sniveling little oxygen thieves who've used PTSD as a crutch to get disability money, even though they were no where near anything that might cause stress. There are some people who really did get their minds messed up, and they needed some help, and probably should not have had the gun they used to shoot the cheating whore wife that spent all their money.

The problem is that not only will people use PTSD as an excuse to get something extra, the Gov't will use it as an excuse to own your a$$. It's been blown out of proportion, and it seems to be designed that way.

Jack House

Just wait, wont be too long till it's decided that all 'normal' soldiers must have severe PTSD when returning from war and those that don't are psychopaths... excuse me, 'suffer' from 'anti-social personality disorder.'

Last edited: