• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver Police kill a "Man with a Gun"

Leatherneck

Very tragic!
Have we been experiencing a full moon for the last few weeks?
When will it end?

I was shocked at the intelligent comments posted by readers!
Awaiting more info on this one too.

Ajetpilot

Very few facts so far

• Police responded to reports of an armed man at about 3:30 a.m.
  • Police directed the man to put down his handgun.
  • He refused.
  • Three officers fired on the man.
  • Man was pronounced dead on scene.
  • No officers were hit.

tannerwaterbury

I am very suspicious about this story, was the man carrying in a holster or in his hand? Sad thing also, the guy was an Iraq War veteran, its possible he was going through something related. I can't take sides in this story until I get more info. The article was very vague on how the police suspected the man as the cop killer.

j2l3

No where in the story does it say he was an Iraq war vet.

A person who knew him mentions he was home from the Army.

Another ventures a guess he "might" have been in Iraq or Afganistan and "might" have suffered from PTSD.

Let's not read more into this than there is. Let's wait, and see what other actual information comes out and not take peoples guesses as fact.

bennie1986

No where in the story does it say he was an Iraq war vet.

A person who knew him mentions he was home from the Army.

Another ventures a guess he "might" have been in Iraq or Afganistan and "might" have suffered from PTSD.

Let's not read more into this than there is. Let's wait, and see what other actual information comes out and not take peoples guesses as fact.

Actually the article from the link says that is how neighbors described him.

Last edited:

Lord Sega

Need more info

I agree with those above... we need a lot more facts about this before any comments.
Like Erik Scott at the Costco shooting, it all depends if the weapon was in a holster or in his hand (ie was he a threat or just carrying?) and if there were conflicting instructions given, etc...

After reading about Erik Scott, I would keep my hands clear and allow them to disarm me... no way are my hands going anywhere near my weapon with multiple LEOs giving multiple instructions while they are all pointing their weapons at me.

Either way this goes, it's a tragic event for all involved.

Beretta92FSLady

What I never understood about people who do not put the gun down is that they do not get in a shootout with the LEO. I know there are people who commit suicide by cop.

I would think that if a person refuses to put the gun down, they realize that the police are going to start shooting, and the logical response, if you are not going to put the gun down is to take cover and return fire.

Personally, I would put the gun down. But that's just me.

sudden valley gunner

I would say, if the above is true, it would indicate a 99.9% chance the gun was in his hand. I can't really imagine police arriving at the scene and asking the person themselves to remove a gun from a holster for the purpose of dropping it.

I was asked to hand my gun to an officer....I wisely refused.

bcp

More at the link.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...oregon_guard_soldier_just_back_from_iraq.html

A 22-year-old man who was shot dead by Vancouver police this week was an Oregon Army National Guard soldier who recently had returned from a yearlong deployment to Iraq.

Spc. Nikkolas W. Lookabill was carrying a handgun, acting in a threatening manner and refusing to follow police orders when three officers fired at him early Tuesday, said Kim Kapp, a police spokeswoman. Vancouver police did not release more specifics about what spurred officers to open fire.

sudden valley gunner

More at the link.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...oregon_guard_soldier_just_back_from_iraq.html

A 22-year-old man who was shot dead by Vancouver police this week was an Oregon Army National Guard soldier who recently had returned from a yearlong deployment to Iraq.

Spc. Nikkolas W. Lookabill was carrying a handgun, acting in a threatening manner and refusing to follow police orders when three officers fired at him early Tuesday, said Kim Kapp, a police spokeswoman. Vancouver police did not release more specifics about what spurred officers to open fire.

Sounds like suicide by cop. Of course this is the LEO version of what happened. Still more unanswered questions.