• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which of the "Potential Governors" is FOR OC/CC?

gunguy2009

I havent had alot of time to keep up on alot of this stuff. Going to school for Airframe & Powerplant Full time and everything else going on... Just looking who is for OC/CC... I HATE Doyle, I think we all do!!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
From all accounts Walker and Neumann both support concealed carry. I'm not aware of statements regarding open carry per se from either.

We can be sure that Barrett is against anyone carrying a gun except for his armed guards. Barrett makes Chief Flynn almost look like one of us in comparison. (Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.)

In the world of good election news, in Chicago Daley just announced he's not running for mayor next year. Chicagoans can rest assured that at least they won't get anyone WORSE than Daley because they pretty much hit rock bottom with him.

littlewolf

From all accounts Walker and Neumann both support concealed carry. I'm not aware of statements regarding open carry per se from either.

We can be sure that Barrett is against anyone carrying a gun except for his armed guards. Barrett makes Chief Flynn almost look like one of us in comparison. (Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.)

In the world of good election news, in Chicago Daley just announced he's not running for mayor next year. Chicagoans can rest assured that at least they won't get anyone WORSE than Daley because they pretty much hit rock bottom with him.

Either Republican Gov candidate will support CC. I talked with Lorge who is running for Lt. Gov Sunday and he is all for Constitutional Carry , he's got my vote for that. other than that I'm leaning towards Neumann.

range rat

I havent had alot of time to keep up on alot of this stuff. Going to school for Airframe & Powerplant Full time and everything else going on... Just looking who is for OC/CC... I HATE Doyle, I think we all do!!

Hi HO, Mr. Neumann is ok with Open Carry !! I open carry one of his Town Hall meetings a while back an had a little chit chat with him.. He's down to Earth, and as they use to say, He's the Man with the Plan....

Canard

Based on my opinion living in SE Wisconsin both Barrett and Walker work on their own agendas. I'm supporting Neumann. Less of three evils. Walker doesn't even know what a gun is. Barrett is totally against the 2a.

Sgt_Habz

One more for Mark

I will also be voting for Neumann. I've done what I consider due diligence in researching both Walker and Neumann, and Neumann wins by a landslide.

skorittnig

Neumann supporter here as well. I spoke with him at one of his town hall meetings, and he made it clear to myself and everyone that he will support a concealed carry bill. He was questioned (in front of everyone) by someone who wasn't so sure about CCW, and he did not back down on his stance--I applauded him for that.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I have spoken on the phone to the campaign managers of all 3 candidates and then emailed specific questions in to all 3 candidates (Walker, Neumann and Barrett) regarding their stance on true right to carry.

I will post responses as soon as I get them.

Edited to add here is the question I posed to each:

We don't know what specific legislation will be introduced regarding conceal
carry in the next session, but our organization ultimately has the goal of
moving Wisconsin to what Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont currently have, which is
the right to carry concealed without a permit so long as you are legally allowed
to posses a firearm (not a felon, no mental/psych issues,etc). We believe
permits and mandatory training are just more government bureaucracy and
effectively "taxes" which criminals will ignore and only the law abiding will be
encumbered by. We strongly advocate for voluntary training, but when states
pass mandatory training requirements for their permits, the training classes go
from around $100 per class or less before they are mandatory to around $300+ per
class once they become mandatory. We don't think a person should have to pay a
tax of $400 (mandatory training plus permit fee) to have the right to carry if
you are a law abiding adult with no criminal record.

If the legislature got a bill to (Mark's, Scott's, Tom's) desk that offered NO OTHER PROVISIONS
OTHER than to repeal 941.23 (Wisconsin's conceal carry ban) which would
effectively allow all law-abiding citizens who have NO criminal record and are
legally allowed to own and posses firearms, to conceal carry without any permit
or mandatory training, would (Mark, Scott, Tom) sign that and repeal 941.23?

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I voted Neumann (governor), Kleefisch (lt Governor), Schuller (treasure), Westlake (Fed Senate), Ryan (Fed House), Kedzie (State Senate), Nass (State House).

I have verified to my satisfaction that all of these will move the ball towards CC (Constitutional Carry).

I did it absentee.

General election, I will vote Republican for just about every office since Barret, Feingold are tools.

MKEgal

I'm still trying to decide who's the least bad for each position.
All of them want me to give up some right, whether self-protection or privacy / self-determination, or something else.
It comes down to deciding what I'm willing to give up, what rights I value above other rights.
Why can't we have a Libertarian government that just stays the bleep out of our lives unless it's REALLY necessary??

MrBubba

Scott Walker was asked about Constitutional Carry at a town-hall type meeting I attended late last spring. He said that he supported it but thought a permit system like Minnesota’s would be a good start (which has protected concealed and open carry, burden of proof on the owner of gun free zones for standard signs and verbal notification, and no finger prints or other biometric data). When I pressed him privately about it afterward he indicated that he wouldn’t oppose Constitutional Carry like Vermont has and that he would sign as good of a bill as he is sent.

This is a good reminder to all of us that getting solid majorities in the state Senate and Assembly is just as important as the Governor’s office in getting a good law passed. All of the polls I have seen show Scott Walker as having the bigger lead against Barrett and thus a better carry-over for the rest of the ticket for other state and local elections like the the Senate and Assembly. Something to consider.

Canard

All of the polls I have seen show Scott Walker as having the bigger lead against Barrett and thus a better carry-over for the rest of the ticket for other state and local elections like the the Senate and Assembly. Something to consider.

Not all the polls...
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ns/wisconsin/election_2010_wisconsin_governor

This is the latest one I could find.

This poll has Neumann at 48% over Barrett at 44% and Walker at 47% over Barrett at 44%. Walker has dropped 2 points. Of course the margin of error puts it in anyone court. Point being that it's clear Walker doesn't have any kind of edge worth voting for just to try to keep Barrett out. They both lead Barrett in recent polls.

Last edited:

MrBubba

I hadn’t seen that poll so I stand corrected on my previous numbers. The $2.7 million the Barrett Campaign has spent along with the untold millions the liberal special interest groups like “Greater Wisconsin” have spent, almost entirely in negative ads against Scott Walker, seem to be taking a toll on Walker’s numbers. This combined with the $5.7 million Neumann has spent ($4 million of which he had to loan to his campaign) have helped boost Neumann’s numbers and hurt Walker's. It is interesting that even with all this record combined spending against Walker, he and Neumann are still essentially in a dead heat with Walker still having $1.2 million in cash on hand and Neumann only having $403K on hand and $4M in debt. It is also interesting that Neumann is loaning money to his campaign instead of donating it. Unless he plans to pay himself back out of future donations, he could donate it to his campaign like other millionaires candidates. Walker is almost entirely financed by contributions with 70% of his funds coming from contributions of $50 or less.

The Barrett Campaign clearly views Neumann as the weaker candidate in the general election since all of the attack ads I have seen from him and from all the liberal special interest groups have been focused exclusively on hurting Scott Walker. Their polls must show Neumann to be easier to defeat in the general election or they wouldn’t have spent all those millions tearing Walker down to help Neumann win the primary. If they weren't trying to influence the Republican primary, these anti-gun liberals would have instead saved their money to focus on whichever Republican ended up winning the primary. They are most likely taking into account how they believe Neumann will poll once they spend a similar amount against Neumann in the general election. The only good news for Walker in this surprisingly coordinated onslaught against him is that he has now been tested with all the negative arguments they have and he is still holding up well. Neumann has only just begun to be tested with the first negative ad against him being released today so his numbers are much more vulnerable. Walker is still the candidate with the better chance to win the general election and thus more likely to bring more pro-gun candidates with him when he does win.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/102380499.html

skorittnig

Not all the polls...
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ns/wisconsin/election_2010_wisconsin_governor

This is the latest one I could find.

This poll has Neumann at 48% over Barrett at 44% and Walker at 47% over Barrett at 44%. Walker has dropped 2 points. Of course the margin of error puts it in anyone court. Point being that it's clear Walker doesn't have any kind of edge worth voting for just to try to keep Barrett out. They both lead Barrett in recent polls.

Excellent point. Good points by Mr. Bubba as well!

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Scott Walker was the first to respond to my question:

"If the legislature got a bill to your (Scott's) desk that had no other provisions
other than to repeal 941.23 (wisconsin's ban on conceal carry) which would
effectively allow Wisconsinites to carry concealed, just as they now carry
openly without mandated training and mandated permit tax, would you (Scott) sign
or veto it?

Scott responded to me a few minutes ago:

"I would sign such a bill to finally give law abiding citizens the right to conceal carry." - Scott Walker

Let no one claim that true 'right to carry' is not possible in Wisconsin this next legislative session. The state GOP has removed the words "permit" from its party platform, so far 1 gubernatorial candidate has indicated he will sign a repeal of 941.23 Clearly true right to carry is a viable possibility.

I will post the responses from Neumann and Barrett as soon as I receive them.

Carry On!

paul@paul-fisher.com

Scott Walker was the first to respond to my question:

"If the legislature got a bill to your (Scott's) desk that had no other provisions
other than to repeal 941.23 (wisconsin's ban on conceal carry) which would
effectively allow Wisconsinites to carry concealed, just as they now carry
openly without mandated training and mandated permit tax, would you (Scott) sign
or veto it?

Scott responded to me a few minutes ago:

"I would sign such a bill to finally give law abiding citizens the right to conceal carry." - Scott Walker

Let no one claim that true 'right to carry' is not possible in Wisconsin this next legislative session. The state GOP has removed the words "permit" from its party platform, so far 1 gubernatorial candidate has indicated he will sign a repeal of 941.23 Clearly true right to carry is a viable possibility.

I will post the responses from Neumann and Barrett as soon as I receive them.

Carry On!

This support my contention. We need to focus on the Assembly and Senate races. Both Republicans governor candidates, I believe, will sign whatever comes across their desk when it comes to cc. Barret will most likely veto any cc provision. If, however, we get back to focusing on Assembly and Senate, there would be enough 'good guys', no matter which party, to override the veto.

So... hammer the candidates for assembly and senate and let them know where you stand, find out where they stand and vote accordingly.