• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

L.A. County sheriff's deputies taking longer to respond to emergencies

demnogis

How many cities in LA County contract with the LASD?

What are crime rates like already in said cities?

Now... What's the likely-hood that protecting yourself and your family will become more your job than their job?

I'll give you #3... It's always been your job -- our job -- to protect ourselves and our families.

mjones

KS_to_CA

Your protection, and the protection of your family, is YOUR job. It always has been. The US Supreme Court and the High Courts of a number of states had ruled that the police has no legal obligation to protect you as a citizen. They serve the purpose of the state (although, peace and order being one of them). A firearm is a very nice thing to have.

coolusername2007

Am I the only one who thinks there are too many police? I see cops around town handing out driving tickets doing their part to generate "revenues" for the city and I just cringe.

After thinking about it a little, maybe We the People should change the way the police departments are run. How about we house them at local stations and when needed they will come screaming out of the stations responding to the emergency. Works for fire, any reason why it would not work for police?

I mean seriously, they are never there when you need them anyway so what's the difference. How many times have you seen an idiot driving recklessly or run a red light and there isn't a cop within miles, yet you roll through a stop where you're the only one there and bam there he is just waiting for you. I say we make them stay at the station and if needed we'll call. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Am I the only one who thinks there are too many police? I see cops around town handing out driving tickets doing their part to generate "revenues" for the city and I just cringe.

After thinking about it a little, maybe We the People should change the way the police departments are run. How about we house them at local stations and when needed they will come screaming out of the stations responding to the emergency. Works for fire, any reason why it would not work for police?

I mean seriously, they are never there when you need them anyway so what's the difference. How many times have you seen an idiot driving recklessly or run a red light and there isn't a cop within miles, yet you roll through a stop where you're the only one there and bam there he is just waiting for you. I say we make them stay at the station and if needed we'll call. Thoughts?

We now have the internet and a virtual police department.

I just got victimized last year when someone broke into my truck parked in my driveway. I just got on the old internet and filed my report on the city's "We make victims file their own police report so that our officers can be out fighting crime" site. In a couple of days, I got an email confirmation that my report was accepted.

I figure I and other victims like me save the city a lot of money, so why not eliminate a few jobs? We use to justify technology by the manpower it saves...so why not eliminate some jobs? :idea:

Chrisc411

yea on the way home from work the other day in 2 separate locations i saw cops using their "emergency" lights to drive through red lights cause they didnt wanna wait for the light to change, and i know it wasn't and emergency cause both of them got stuck behind traffic at the next light so they couldn't do it again.

coolusername2007

yea on the way home from work the other day in 2 separate locations i saw cops using their "emergency" lights to drive through red lights cause they didnt wanna wait for the light to change, and i know it wasn't and emergency cause both of them got stuck behind traffic at the next light so they couldn't do it again.

Did you get their cruiser numbers and call in a complaint? I would have.

A couple months ago I saw a local cruiser run a red light. He was three cars deep when he shined that light. My light had long turned green when he entered the intersection following two cars in front of him making a left turn. But he didn't pull them over, he took off. No lights. No sirens. I was making a right, was first in line and saw the entire thing. I tried to catch up and get his numbers but couldn't. He wasn't going so fast as to be on a silent call or something, just speeding enough that I didn't want to go any faster. If I had caught him though I would have filed a complaint for sure.

Last edited:

Chrisc411

Did you get their cruiser numbers and call in a complaint? I would have.

A couple months ago I saw a local cruiser run a red light. He was three cars deep when he shined that light. My light had long turned green when he entered the intersection following two cars in front of him making a left turn. But he didn't pull them over, he took off. No lights. No sirens. I was making a right, was first in line and saw the entire thing. I tried to catch up and get his numbers but couldn't. He wasn't going so fast as to be on a silent call or something, just speeding enough that I didn't want to go any faster. If I had caught him though I would have filed a complaint for sure.

i was told i should have but one was behind me, and the other was going the other direction so i couldnt get plate numbers on either

wewd

Civis romanus sum

Your protection, and the protection of your family, is YOUR job. It always has been. The US Supreme Court and the High Courts of a number of states had ruled that the police has no legal obligation to protect you as a citizen. They serve the purpose of the state (although, peace and order being one of them). A firearm is a very nice thing to have.

Be careful calling yourselves citizens. A citizen is someone who owes a debt of service (or tribute) in return for an obligation of protection. Citizenship, as understood today, was a concept that originated in ancient Rome. Citizens were the only people who could own property or make legal contracts, vote in elections, or run for office. They were also afforded the full legal and military protections of the empire, they could demand a trial by jury, they could enact lawsuits, and could not be tortured or put to death for crimes (except treason). You could not legally be married in Rome unless you were a citizen.

Eventually the protections of citizenship were whittled down to nothing more than a title. The empire levied taxes so high that property ownership was essentially worthless. Property could be seized and taken for nearly any reason. Legal contracts became meaningless. The government's duty to protect citizens from physical harm also became null. As the empire was dying, they could no longer afford to pay soldiers to guard Roman citizens in the outer reaches of the the empire. Soon this sphere of protection would shrink to nothing. The guards would eventually prey on the citizens themselves in the form of mafia-like protection rackets.

The government is supposedly obligated to protect the rights and property of its citizens. Ask yourselves, just what sort of protections do you really have from the government? Are we preyed on more by common criminals, or by the government itself? Are your obligations as a citizen (in the form of taxes and compulsory services) being met equally by the duties of the government (protection of your person, your property, and your rights)?

Are we really citizens at all, and do we want to be?

Chrisc411

Be careful calling yourselves citizens. A citizen is someone who owes a debt of service (or tribute) in return for an obligation of protection. Citizenship, as understood today, was a concept that originated in ancient Rome. Citizens were the only people who could own property or make legal contracts, vote in elections, or run for office. They were also afforded the full legal and military protections of the empire, they could demand a trial by jury, they could enact lawsuits, and could not be tortured or put to death for crimes (except treason). You could not legally be married in Rome unless you were a citizen.

Eventually the protections of citizenship were whittled down to nothing more than a title. The empire levied taxes so high that property ownership was essentially worthless. Property could be seized and taken for nearly any reason. Legal contracts became meaningless. The government's duty to protect citizens from physical harm also became null. As the empire was dying, they could no longer afford to pay soldiers to guard Roman citizens in the outer reaches of the the empire. Soon this sphere of protection would shrink to nothing. The guards would eventually prey on the citizens themselves in the form of mafia-like protection rackets.

The government is supposedly obligated to protect the rights and property of its citizens. Ask yourselves, just what sort of protections do you really have from the government? Are we preyed on more by common criminals, or by the government itself? Are your obligations as a citizen (in the form of taxes and compulsory services) being met equally by the duties of the government (protection of your person, your property, and your rights)?

Are we really citizens at all, and do we want to be?

Very well spoken and it really is something to think about....