• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Likely getting a job in PHL, seeking links to educate

Tweaker

I am a VA resident and CCW holder, but OC very often.

I know only that PA has CCW and firearms preemption, much to the dismay of PHL.

I have recognition of my permit as a VA resident according to NRA-ILA.

Any other noteworthy differences or oddities I might wish to be aware of?

Thanks!

Specific ? - From ILA - unlawful to possess in public streets or public property in PHL unless the person carrying is licensed to carry firearm - Wot? Am I good then with a reciprocated VA CCW? It seems so.

Say I want a non-resident permit, I may apply to any county sheriff. Sounds easy enuf.

from PA open carry.org
Open Carry - Yes, It's Legal
In Pennsylvania, persons 18 years of age and older whom are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license except in vehicles*, cities of the first class** (Philadelphia) and where prohibited specifically by statute.

Ref.: Title 18, ch.61, Subchapter A. Uniform Firearms Act & Commonwealth v. Ortiz

* Open carry in a vehicle requires a valid PA License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) or a carry license from ANY other state. Ref: Title 18 §6106

** Open carry in a city of the first class requires a valid PA LTCF or a carry license from a reciprocal state. Ref: Title 18 §6108, Title 18 §6106

Last edited:

jahwarrior

what exactly do you want to know? PHL....that's Philly, right? are you going to be living there for any amount of time?

some things to know about Philly:

you need a PA LTCF or other recognized permit/license, like a PA non-res or UT/FL/VA etc permit to carry openly or concealed within city limits.

Philly PD WILL stop and detain you, and might possibly confiscate your firearm, and make you fight to get it back.

LTCFs are issued by County Sheriffs in PA, except for Philly, where they are issued by the Chief of Police. if you are going to be living in Philly, be aware that they make it extremely difficult to obtain your LTCF; they use various excuses, which often violate state law, like: unpaid parking tickets, misdemeanor charges that aren't prohibitive offenses, unpaid child support, etc....anything to prevent the citizenry from legally carrying. as yet, no one has challenged them in court.

my advice is, apply for a UT/FL permit, and a PA non-res (Centre County is by far the most cooperative of the issuing authorities), and keep your VA permit. make at least two photocopies of each, keep a copy of each in your wallet, a copy in your car, and leave the originals somewhere safe. Philly PD are also known for keeping licenses illegally, after detaining citizens for open carry. many are under the impression that out-of-state permits aren't valid in PA; they're wrong, but they continue to act on incorrect information, which is propagated by the city government, and the local media.

out-of-state permits are one of the central issues in the case of Gerald Ung, a man who used a firearm in self defense some months ago in the Old City section of Philly. at the time of the shooting, he had a valid VA permit; the Philly DA insisted that he was carrying illegally, even though PA has reciprocity with VA. if the district attorney of Philly is ignorant of PA gun laws (and i'm sure it's more willful stupidity than innocent ignorance), then don't expect Philly PD to be any better.

in short, open carry in Philly is a risky business. if you're committed to doing it, i hope you're ready to lose a gun over it, at least temporarily.

virginiatuck

out-of-state permits are one of the central issues in the case of Gerald Ung, a man who used a firearm in self defense some months ago in the Old City section of Philly. at the time of the shooting, he had a valid VA permit; the Philly DA insisted that he was carrying illegally, even though PA has reciprocity with VA. if the district attorney of Philly is ignorant of PA gun laws (and i'm sure it's more willful stupidity than innocent ignorance), then don't expect Philly PD to be any better.

That charge against Gerald Ung was dropped:
3 18 § 6106 Firearms Not To Be Carried W/O License Withdrawn
4 18 § 6108 Carry Firearms Public In Phila Withdrawn

The central issue with the Ung case is whether or not he committed:
1) 18 § 2502 attempted murder of the first degree,

Secondary issues to that are:
2) 18 § 2702 aggravated assault,
3) 18 § 907 possessed an instrument of crime with intent,
4) 18 § 2701 simple assault, and/or
5) 18 § 2705 recklessly endangering another person.

One big issue in Philly at this time are the police "cracking down" on Pennsylvania residents obtaining non-resident permits from other states with which Pennsylvania has a reciprocity agreement and carrying in Pennsylvania on those permits, without a PA LTCF. There's nothing illegal about this practice at this time, though there is proposed legislation that will require Pennsylvania residents to obtain a PA LTCF before they may lawfully carry in vehicles or concealed. (pardon me if that bill was already passed or defeated).

The Gerald Ung court docket can be found at http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CourtSummaryReport.aspx?matterID=201683609 and references to the out-of-state licenses/permits issue can be found by searching this site or google. I'm a little pressed for time and have to get going, or I'd dig those out.

david.ross

in short, open carry in Philly is a risky business. if you're committed to doing it, i hope you're ready to lose a gun over it, at least temporarily.

I've to agree with Jah on this issue. I do believe open carriers need to stage an outdoor activity in philly with the media on standby. After talking with the firearms supervisor who admitted he'd be more than happy to commit official oppression "for his safety." Check one of my postings from this year regarding my phone call.

BTJ138

Oh Filthadelphia is such a fun place. I have not, nor will I ever, OC in Philly. Those officers are wound way to tight for me to deal with their ignorance on state law. Anyone remember years ago when they proposed having a separate license for carrying there? For some reason "City of the First Class" makes them think they can do whatever the hell they want. I avoid Philly like a disease.