Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Open carry on motorcycle

  1. #1
    Regular Member Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    McMinnville Oregon
    Posts
    58

    Question Open carry on motorcycle

    Hello everyone, does anyone know if it is okay to open carry on a motorcycle without a CHL in oregon? I know you need a CHL in the banned cities, but what about everywhere else?

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Scappoose, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    394
    IANAL, however, I don't recall seeing any ordinance/regulation/law that differentiates one way or the other regarding a vehicle. It just referrs to being concealed. Be sure to check local statues because cities and counties can make their own rules.

    It may be easier just to get your Oregon permit so your covered either way.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    348
    its legal on a motorcycle but it is NOT legal to carry a LOADED gun while operating a motorcycle OFFROAD!

    i open carry 24/7 and 23/7 is on a motorcycle...... i wear a pistol pete jacket incase weather dictate that move it from my hip.....

    if you open carry on the bike, remember that it is on display and therefore so are you, do the right things, and make sure your bike is roadworthy, registered, insured and that you are licensed correctly.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    McMinnville Oregon
    Posts
    58
    Thank you for the replies, my bike is in excellent condition, i am endorsed, and always have insurance on all my vehicles. I am just waiting for my CHL in the mail and then i wont have to worry about banned cities, i just needed to know for the mean time until it shows up. I also always open carry in my mustang with the gun on the seat fully loaded.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Lord Sega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Warrenton, Oregon
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybearfrmhell View Post
    its legal on a motorcycle but it is NOT legal to carry a LOADED gun while operating a motorcycle OFFROAD!
    I've never heard of the off road rule, could you link to / site the authority please.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Scappoose, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    I've never heard of the off road rule, could you link to / site the authority please.
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/821.html
    ORS 821.240

    821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

    (2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 729; 1985 c.393 45; 1985 c.459 31a; 1987 c.587 14; 1989 c.991 15a; 1991 c.589 1]

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    348
    what puddin said!

    as it is a firearms violation, it would be enough to have your CHL revoked......

  8. #8
    Regular Member Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    McMinnville Oregon
    Posts
    58
    well i guess im in the clear then, becuase i don't plan on taking my brand new Ninja off roading anytime soon. . Hopefully my CHL just shows up soon, but it's only been 11 days, i'm just so damn impatient.

  9. #9
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybearfrmhell View Post
    what puddin said!

    as it is a firearms violation, it would be enough to have your CHL revoked......
    Per the following quote I don't think the action is a "firearms violation" allowing termination of a carry permit. See the sentence in (2)... SPECIFIES this is a Class B Traffic violation!

    Also, unless this ordinance applies to Snowmobiles or All-terrain vehicles.... it would depend on the specific LEGAL definition as to weather it even would apply to a street motorcycle that is NOT either dual purpose or Dirt bike!

    ORS 821.240

    821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

    (2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 729; 1985 c.393 45; 1985 c.459 31a; 1987 c.587 14; 1989 c.991 15a; 1991 c.589 1]
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 09-11-2010 at 07:24 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    McMinnville Oregon
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Per the following quote I don't think the action is a "firearms violation" allowing termination of a carry permit. See the sentence in (2)... SPECIFIES this is a Class B Traffic violation!

    Also, unless this ordinance applies to Snowmobiles or All-terrain vehicles.... it would depend on the specific LEGAL definition as to weather it even would apply to a street motorcycle that is NOT either dual purpose or Dirt bike!

    ORS 821.240

    821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

    (2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 729; 1985 c.393 45; 1985 c.459 31a; 1987 c.587 14; 1989 c.991 15a; 1991 c.589 1]
    Your probably correct, if i decided to ride my bike on a dirt road not hunting or doing any recreational activities they probably couldnt make anything stick becuase im on a street motorcycle and it's not an ATV. Makes sense to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •