• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on motorcycle

Christopher

Hello everyone, does anyone know if it is okay to open carry on a motorcycle without a CHL in oregon? I know you need a CHL in the banned cities, but what about everywhere else?

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
IANAL, however, I don't recall seeing any ordinance/regulation/law that differentiates one way or the other regarding a vehicle. It just referrs to being concealed. Be sure to check local statues because cities and counties can make their own rules.

It may be easier just to get your Oregon permit so your covered either way.

Teddybearfrmhell

its legal on a motorcycle but it is NOT legal to carry a LOADED gun while operating a motorcycle OFFROAD!

i open carry 24/7 and 23/7 is on a motorcycle...... i wear a pistol pete jacket incase weather dictate that move it from my hip.....

if you open carry on the bike, remember that it is on display and therefore so are you, do the right things, and make sure your bike is roadworthy, registered, insured and that you are licensed correctly.

Christopher

Thank you for the replies, my bike is in excellent condition, i am endorsed, and always have insurance on all my vehicles. I am just waiting for my CHL in the mail and then i wont have to worry about banned cities, i just needed to know for the mean time until it shows up. I also always open carry in my mustang with the gun on the seat fully loaded.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
I've never heard of the off road rule, could you link to / site the authority please.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/821.html
ORS 821.240

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

Christopher

well i guess im in the clear then, becuase i don't plan on taking my brand new Ninja off roading anytime soon. :D. Hopefully my CHL just shows up soon, but it's only been 11 days, i'm just so damn impatient. :banghead:

JoeSparky

Centurion
what puddin said!

as it is a firearms violation, it would be enough to have your CHL revoked......

Per the following quote I don't think the action is a "firearms violation" allowing termination of a carry permit. See the sentence in (2)... SPECIFIES this is a Class B Traffic violation!

Also, unless this ordinance applies to Snowmobiles or All-terrain vehicles.... it would depend on the specific LEGAL definition as to weather it even would apply to a street motorcycle that is NOT either dual purpose or Dirt bike!

ORS 821.240

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

Last edited:

Christopher

Per the following quote I don't think the action is a "firearms violation" allowing termination of a carry permit. See the sentence in (2)... SPECIFIES this is a Class B Traffic violation!

Also, unless this ordinance applies to Snowmobiles or All-terrain vehicles.... it would depend on the specific LEGAL definition as to weather it even would apply to a street motorcycle that is NOT either dual purpose or Dirt bike!

ORS 821.240

Your probably correct, if i decided to ride my bike on a dirt road not hunting or doing any recreational activities they probably couldnt make anything stick becuase im on a street motorcycle and it's not an ATV. Makes sense to me.