• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
I give the reporter credit for leaving the article race neutral. But this guy needs to relocate ASAP. If they were "MS-13" gang-bangers, then the 2000 of them in his county are going to be gunning for him.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/

Says Many Gang Members Were Coming After His Family

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.
He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home...

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
My bad, the date/time stamp on the article's website is today @ 7:19 p.m. and i didn't see anything posted here since that time.

On the plus side this link has a video interview with the owner. Probably the reason for the later time of the article.

KS_to_CA

If he even goes to trial, it would send the wrong message.

"Bad guys can intimidate and threaten the good guys, and the good guys can end up in jail for defending themselves".

okboomer

I hope his lawyer can convince the judge that he was in imminent danger from an unruly crowd of 20+ who were advancing up his driveway and across his lawn shouting, "We're gonna kill you" {sic}

As it was, this demonstrates why firing a 'warning shot' into the grass is not a good idea and shows how desperately folks need to get professional training in the relevant laws and how they can/will apply to them if an incident happens.

I wish him luck!

Uber_Olafsun

Warning shots aren't needed unless that would be the only way to get police there IMO(no phone etc). 20+ guys coming onto your yard would mean to me go in lock up in secure room while dialing 911. Also keep gun at ready in case they try to come in.

If police and the court system would do more to stop these gangs MS-13 being one of the most organized and violent ones around today this country would be a hell of a lot safer. I grew up in southern cali and we had bloods, crips etc. Usually they didn't do anything to just ordinary people but other gang members were fair game. These gangs like MS-13 just use terror as their main weapon. They brutalize a family or person so badly to make a name for themselves and promote the gang. They are terrorists in the true sense.

Northerner

A warning shot (1 being the key word) can also be justified as a prefire to ensure the weapon is working correctly. For example, with a home invasion (in NC beyond the front door), one has a duty to retreat before using deadly force. If I am awoken by a person(s) entering my house, I will go to condition 1 and fire a round into the floor (Note: don't do this if you have a neihbor or basement below you, use a corner or base board = easy to reapir). This ensures me that the weapon is working and ready and serves to warn the would be invaders that there is an armed homeowner.

My point is; a warning shot(1) can be benficial. I am not sure I would have fired 4 shots off, but I wasn't there. 20+ thugs walking across my lawn, threatening to kill me, I can't say I wouldn't have fired a warning shot myself. He may have been nervous and the AK has a hair trigger.

sultan62

No duty to retreat if you are in fear for your life in NC. If they have a weapon, are trying to attack you, etc. If they are just picking stuff up and taking out, then yeah, no deadly force.

Personally I'll fire that 'test round' at their chest.