• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First ever encounter at my apartments

Aaron1124

Tonight I had just gotten home from doing some grocery shopping. After I unloaded all of my groceries from my trunk, I had noticed a horrible smell coming from my kitchen.. followed by me realizing my trash was in desperate need to be taken out. I grab the bag and head across the complex to the dumpster. As I approach the dumpster, I noticed it was heavily overflowing with garbage, coming out of the actual trash area. I couldn't even access the dumpster itself, so I just tossed my bag of garbage in there with the rest of the crap. Anyway, as I turn around, I noticed someone, probably in his late teens, approach the dumpster with a McDonalds bag. As soon as I made eye contact with him, I could tell that he was extremely high. He looked like he just got done smoking a foot long joint. I nod at him and continue walking. Before I know it, he gets back in his car and hollers out in a Beavis and Butthead tone of voice "Hey man.. is that a gun?"

I reply - "Yes, it is." (In a monotone voice)

Stoned Teen - "What do you use it for?"

I reply - "Uhm.. it's for protection" (As I continue walking away)

Stoned teen - "Oh well thats cool man. As long as you have your weapons permit then man!"

I reply - "Yeah.. I do, but I don't need one to carry it open."

At this point, I'm finally at a distance to where I'm far enough away for him to cease the conversation. I just got home from a long day and didn't feel like chatting about my firearm with a teen who was stoned off his butt. I've lived here for nearly a year, and it's the first time anyone has ever asked me about it. Just thought I'd share.

Beretta92FSLady

Reminds me of when I was shopping for some groceries, and a man asks me, "is that a real gun," I said, "yes," he said, "does it work?":banghead:

sudden valley gunner

Reminds me of when I was shopping for some groceries, and a man asks me, "is that a real gun," I said, "yes," he said, "does it work?":banghead:

Does it work now that's funny...
I have been asked several times if the "..is that a real gun" question.
I always answer "I wouldn't carry a fake one". (Although some of you Glock haters might disagree :lol:)

DEROS72

Certain people I don't tell that its legal.Some gang looking punk asks me I just say I have a license.We don't want everyone knowing.Especially the people around my complex. If some Bevis comes up and asks you if its legal just say you have a license.They're usually to stupid to research it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Tonight I had just gotten home from doing some grocery shopping. After I unloaded all of my groceries from my trunk, I had noticed a horrible smell coming from my kitchen.. followed by me realizing my trash was in desperate need to be taken out. I grab the bag and head across the complex to the dumpster. As I approach the dumpster, I noticed it was heavily overflowing with garbage, coming out of the actual trash area. I couldn't even access the dumpster itself, so I just tossed my bag of garbage in there with the rest of the crap. Anyway, as I turn around, I noticed someone, probably in his late teens, approach the dumpster with a McDonalds bag. As soon as I made eye contact with him, I could tell that he was extremely high. He looked like he just got done smoking a foot long joint. I nod at him and continue walking. Before I know it, he gets back in his car and hollers out in a Beavis and Butthead tone of voice "Hey man.. is that a gun?"

I reply - "Yes, it is." (In a monotone voice)

Stoned Teen - "What do you use it for?"

I reply - "Uhm.. it's for protection" (As I continue walking away)

Stoned teen - "Oh well thats cool man. As long as you have your weapons permit then man!"

I reply - "Yeah.. I do, but I don't need one to carry it open."

At this point, I'm finally at a distance to where I'm far enough away for him to cease the conversation. I just got home from a long day and didn't feel like chatting about my firearm with a teen who was stoned off his butt. I've lived here for nearly a year, and it's the first time anyone has ever asked me about it. Just thought I'd share.

Food for thought, you now have educated a druggie that open carry is legal instead of leaving him with his misguided thoughts one needed a permit to carry, which in his case may have done some good.

Aaron1124

Follow up:

I just came in from checking yesterdays mail, and he was by the clubhouse walking his dog. He said "Hi" to me, and mentioned that he was 17 years old and has a "domestic assault charge" and a "felony drug charge" on his record, so he can't be in possession of one. He said "The court said I can't even be in possession of a squirt gun!"

Too bad he pretty much ruined his adulthood. Already sporting a DV and Felony drug charge at 17? Good luck getting hired anywhere. Seems like everyone is doing a background check on their applicants these days.

END_THE_FED

Food for thought, you now have educated a druggie that open carry is legal instead of leaving him with his misguided thoughts one needed a permit to carry, which in his case may have done some good.

So if someone smokes pot they dont have the right to self defense?

Why do you assume that one is a "druggie" just because they smoke pot?
Do you feel that anyone who drinks is an alcoholic?

After the update from Aaron about the guy mentioning he is a felon we can conclude he is probably a loser, but you did not have this information at the time you made these remarks.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

After the update from Aaron about the guy mentioning he is a felon we can conclude he is probably a loser, but you did not have this information at the time you made these remarks.

I don't think Abraham Lincoln would have denied a pot head his right to self defense....
this is where the (R's) go way off constitutionally based gov.

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."
Abraham Lincoln (1809-65), U.S. President.
Speech, 18 Dec. 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives

Trigger Dr

From the movie ...."Justified"

I got a laugh out of "What do you use it for?"

"I want you to understand. I don't pull my sidearm unless I'm going to shoot to kill. That's its purpose, huh? To kill. So that's how I use it"

Lovenox

Of course they have a right to self defense. But if you knowingly break the law and try to find sanctuary behind "the right to self-defense" then it does nothing for our cause.