• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which one are you?

jeangordon

I borrowed this from an email I received but it got me thinking...

Are you a Sheep, Wolf, or Sheepdog?

According to a recent article written for law enforcement officers by LTC. Dave Grossman, author of
"On Killing" (a book I strongly recommend), most of you are in the 'sheep' category.

There is no shame in that designator; Grossman defines a sheep as a productive, valuable member of society
that would only hurt another sheep by accident.

Violence has no part in the life of the sheep and there is a strong tendency of sheep to live in denial.
They deny the existence of those individuals actively using violence to mercilessly prey upon the sheep to
fulfill their needs.

Grossman designates those individuals, who mercilessly prey upon the sheep, as 'wolves'. These are that two
percent of our society where the criminal sociopath lives and breathes.

These are the repeat offenders, who prey upon the denying sheep to get what they want using fists,
clubs, knives, or firearms to beat, rob, rape, or murder their chosen sheep. These are your basic
nightmare scumbags who in short order can irrepairably destroy the world of a sheep.

The wolf embraces violence and uses it without regard to satisfy its needs. He has no hesitation to maim,
cripple, or kill if it helps to satisfy his immediate cravings. If you choose to be a wolf you will find
yourself constantly being hunted for your vicious attacks by the last member of Grossman's group, the
'sheepdogs.'

These are people he describes as having the 'gift of aggression'... able to meet violence with violence in
order to protect society.

They have the rare ability to use force against the wolves but never the sheep. Any sheepdog that attacks
the herd is put down fast.

Most sheepdogs are found in the military and law enforcement community and often make the sheep
uncomfortable because they remind them that the wolves are out there.

Sheepdogs are often targets of ridicule from the sheep that get uncomfortable seeing their weapons, or as
Grossman writes, "They have fangs like the wolf and fur like the wolf and they are constantly looking for
the opportunity to engage the wolf in battle... the very thing the sheep fear."

Now, if you choose to be a sheep that is your choice. But as the article notes, that means you and your
loved ones may very well die if there is no sheepdog around to handle the wolf.

Regular citizens have stepped up to be sheepdogs when necessary. Grossman cites the passengers on the
American Airlines flight that rose up against the terrorists heading for Washington, DC during the 9/11
attacks.

So the question bears asking again: Are you a Sheep,
Wolf, or Sheepdog?

skiingislife725

I like the analogy myself. It gets people to look at their lives from another perspective. "Hey, I'm no sheep!" Might even trigger them to do something about it.

trooper46

That is a very over simplified and crude way of looking at life. It also stereotypes people into categories very few of which are completely one or the other.

You can hardly divide human beings into one of 3 categories. Most people fall somewhere in between one of those three, or even into a category of their own. If you want to talk in those terms, I have seen wolves that become sheep dogs when the mood hits, I have seen sheep become wolves over the most insignificant argument, and I have seen sheep dogs become become all 3 in the same week.

Humanity has many shades of grey. Many heroes have horrifying flaws and some villains can change into heroes when the circumstances are right. The black and white, line in the sand crap, is straight out of the movies and simply not touch with reality.

sudden valley gunner

Negative. I am a meat popsicle.

Hahaha....a 5th Element reference, love it.

I am not a sheep (follower, fearful), not a wolf ( predator ), and I am not a sheep dog (to me indicates belonging to someone else).

All creatures have a built in system of self preservation. Even a sheep will fight you if it senses you are about to do it harm.

What makes humans different than most animals is that many of us are willing to fight for and protects others of our species even when they have no direct relation/connection to us.

Beretta92FSLady

I can't be violent against sheep, but I can be extremely violent towards wolves. I am not military or LEO. I am just someone who does what I know I should do when SHTF.

The vast majority of people are sheep. Sheep tend to not like you being around because you are a reminder of how defenseless they feel, and can not muster the will to be proactive with self-defense. I tell people, especially women, when under attack you have to be violent to save your life, but that doesn't make you a violent person, just a person who wants to live, and be left alone.

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome." --(Attributed to) Benjamin Franklin

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Sounds like several have their rubber-bans wound up a little to tight, it is just an analogy on how some look at life nothing more or less.

Is it any better stating there are those that would rather be harmed then defend themselves and there are those that seek to harm others to get what they want and there are those that will not stand by and let someone be harmed in their presences.
Thus Sheep, Wolf and Sheep Dog in that order.

Get a grip.

jeangordon good post and it shows you are thinking about this great responsibility we take upon ourselves when we choose to carry for self defense and forming your view point and position.