• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jury Duty in Minnesota

rotty

Looking for information about carrying into the courthouse for jury duty. I know it is simple to leave it in the truck and lock it, but I would feel more comfortable if it was secured inside.

Anyone know what the procedure would be in MN. I know jails and courthouses are prohibited, unless a letter of intent is sent to the sheriff before hand.

Has anyone else ever done this in MN ?

Brimstone Baritone

You could tell the security guy at the metal detector that he is interfering with a court summons. This might be more likely to work if you were subpoenaed, though.

That said, I don't think following that advice will end well, but good luck if you do.

rotty

This is the letter I just sent certified mail to the local sheriff.

Sherriff Dave Bellows
1580 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033

Dear Sir,

Persuant with MN statute 609.66 I am notifying you, the Sherriff of Dakota County, in writing, by certified mail, that I will be in the Dakota County Court Complex in Hastings Minnesota for Jury Duty During the month of Oct and do intend to carry my pistol with me while there under the rights afforded to me in section 624.714.

rotty

Thanks, I don't know about gutsy though. The permit here is to carry, not to conceal, and they put a section in the law about carrying at Courthouses so I am taking advantage of that. You can bet your ass I will have a recorder going though.

eye95

Oh, it's gutsy. Even if the law is on your side, there are folks with a lot of power who will think otherwise. What you are doing is a big risk.

rotty

I FULLY expect if I do end up in a courtroom that a judge will force the issue (as he has the right to) and make me secure it in the sheriffs office which is connected to the court facility.

My point is that they made the law, if I comply, am I allowed to OC and go about my normal everyday business ?

sultan62

Well we know you'll get to the courtroom. But will it be as a juror, or defendant?

Sorry, couldn't help it.;)

tletourneau

The letter you sent should take care of the court house but not the court room. The court house is controlled by the sheriff and the letter of notice you sent will let you carry in the un-secure areas of the court house. The court room is controlled by the judge and it is up to the judge to decide if you can carry in the court room. If the judge decides not to allow it the sheriff should secure the weapon while you are in the court room or any other secure area of the building. Remember that the letter you sent is not to ask permission to carry in the court house but to inform the sheriff that you will be, the sheriff can not deny you your right to carry in the un-secure areas of the court house after being notified.

At least that's the way I understand it. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :D

rotty

The letter you sent should take care of the court house but not the court room. The court house is controlled by the sheriff and the letter of notice you sent will let you carry in the un-secure areas of the court house. The court room is controlled by the judge and it is up to the judge to decide if you can carry in the court room. If the judge decides not to allow it the sheriff should secure the weapon while you are in the court room or any other secure area of the building. Remember that the letter you sent is not to ask permission to carry in the court house but to inform the sheriff that you will be, the sheriff can not deny you your right to carry in the un-secure areas of the court house after being notified.

I FULLY expect if I do end up in a courtroom that a judge will force the issue (as he has the right to) and make me secure it in the sheriffs office which is connected to the court facility.

Exactly what I said. But ty for the response.

simmonsjoe

If it was an active part of the site I would have done just that. I thought this was more of a legal question which is why I posted in the law library section.
The LAW LIBRARY, while grossly underdeveloped, is for summaries of often requested legal information and case history relevant to open carry. (To make citation much easier, and as a FAQ to cover the questions we are asked 2 times a week.)

It is not a Q&A forum for legal advice. OCDO provides no legal advice.

Good luck with this endeavor!

Last edited:

rotty

Certified Mail received from Sheriff

" Dear Sir,
We received your letter notifying us of your intent to carry a pistol on site at the Dakota County Court complex in October during jury duty. Please see the attached court order dated from May 2006 "
The court order reads -

District Court First Judicial District

ORDER

Persuant to the administrative authority of the chief judge under Minn stat 484.6, subd 3: the inherent judicial power of the court under Article 1, 8Article 3, 1 and Article 6, 1
Of the Minnesota Constitution rules 2.02 (e) and (f) Rules of practice - District Courts: Minn Stat subds 1 and 3; and Minn stat 609.66 Subd. 1g (3) and (4)

IT IS ORDERED
1. Effective immediately all persons including those who have a permit under Minn Stat 624.714 are PROHIBITED from having firearms on their person or in their possession in courtrooms, adjacent hallways, and other areas attendant to the court function so designated excepted as provided in paragraph 2 below

This order does not applyu to
licensed peace officers or military personnel who are performing official duties

Persons who possess firearms for the purpose of display as demonstrative evidence during testimony at a trial or exhibition in compliance with advance notice and safety guidelines set by the sheriff

Persons who posses dangerous weapons in a courthouse complex with the express written consent of the county sheriff

Dated 5/31 2006 signed by chief judge William Macklin

So there you have it .. a judge has written an order basically making the LAW in place VOID.

Not sure how the hell he has the power to do that ... but apparantly .. he does.