• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Springs Open Carry Dinner - Saturday, Sep 25th, 6pm

PikesPeakMtnMan

Specialty Sports at 4285 E Fountain is the name of that place, HUGE selection and almost literally everything you could ever want. I haven't been to Paradise, but I've heard pretty good things and they were helpful when I called them and asked questions.
Paradise is a great little store....they are a little store...with limited selection but the staff is great...they are always the first place I go when I need anything (if I can't wait, then I go to Specialty Sports)

entartet17

I was going to try and make it but I've had to drive down to the Springs three times this week. I really don't feel like making that drive again. Maybe next time...

Last edited:

ZackL

Well, I've told a few people about it that have asked me about my gun when they see me (i.e. store clerks, random store patrons, etc.), so we'll see if any of them show up as well. I'm still just ecstatic that this is in the evening as opposed to morning lol.

Also, for those of you who may not have seen it, Whistling Pines is having an open house this weekend from 9-6, both days. I'm going to stop by and see what's needed to sign up for their giveaways and see what they have to offer in terms of their "sale prices" before the dinner.

Gunslinger

Well, I've told a few people about it that have asked me about my gun when they see me (i.e. store clerks, random store patrons, etc.), so we'll see if any of them show up as well. I'm still just ecstatic that this is in the evening as opposed to morning lol.

Also, for those of you who may not have seen it, Whistling Pines is having an open house this weekend from 9-6, both days. I'm going to stop by and see what's needed to sign up for their giveaways and see what they have to offer in terms of their "sale prices" before the dinner.

Join while you're there. A nice club, nice people, decent indoor ranges (25.5 Yard max, so can shoot an M-4 or any other rifle you want.) There are always reduced memberships available from people who want to cancel, like military who PCS, new job, etc. Have a nice, though limited, selection of firearms and fair ammo prices.

entartet17

Join while you're there. A nice club, nice people, decent indoor ranges (25.5 Yard max, so can shoot an M-4 or any other rifle you want.) There are always reduced memberships available from people who want to cancel, like military who PCS, new job, etc. Have a nice, though limited, selection of firearms and fair ammo prices.

Agreed. I've shot there a couple times as a guest and it's a great club.

ooghost1oo

(Duplicate post, same as on the Facebook side)

Coming up!!

Location will be the Golden Corral at Woodmen and Powers. 6pm to 8pm.

We have a reservation in the banquet room for the "Open Carry Movement". Don't let them charge you 'group gratuity' upfront--I've worked it out with the manager to tip at the end.

See you there!

Half Live

Well, I will be there for sure. I get off at work in Denver at 3pm so that should leave me plenty of time to get ready and down there. See you all there.

ooghost1oo

Thanks to those who came. Nine people showed, at least before I left.

Saw no static except for an amusing foot-in-mouth experience:

When my wife and I showed up, we were waiting in line to get in a pay, when the kid who was to be our server came up to the girls at the checkout stand, flustered, and said something about, "There's like five guys with guns back there. You know, just because something's legal, doesn't mean you should do it." He was venting to the girls and I lost track of his conversation while I paid, but he could see me in line (couldn't see my gun), and clearly knew that I was listening to him. Another server said something along the lines of "something something it's the law". And the kid sauntered off. Then he clearly had a 'foot in mouth' expression when he saw me go to join the table. Very funny.

Also, according to my wife, the guy sitting behind us with the party of little boys eyed each of us intently whenever we got up, but looked back down to his plate whenever we turned around.

Our server was pretty tense around us the whole time, but I'm sure this 'experience' will get him thinking. No one else in the whole restaurant seemed to care. (And I went to get food three times.) ;)

You know, we should leave a flyer at each of our tables whenever we do something like this.

ZackL

It was a great dinner. The guy that was working our tables seemed to relax more when we started tipping as well. After Ghost left, a few of us picked on the guy for asking a question when it was just four of us. He came in and showed us our tables and then he eyeballed us and said "are you all cops?" and after we responded with various no's he kind of seemed nervous until the end. In all it was great meeting everyone, I enjoyed everything immensely, even if we were a bit sprawled and had broken conversations.

Soonerfan

I had a great time meeting and chatting with everyone. The waiter was alittle nervous but that's just because he's not used to people having guns. That's one of the reasons we did this and I believe we made a positive impression on the young lad. Perhaps we planted the seed in his mind.

AdamBv1

Yeah after he asked if we were all cops I said something along the lines of "we just like to open carry" and I remember him saying "That is so cool" all quiet like.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks to everyone who attended! I enjoyed getting to know the faces behind the names. We're all a dedicated group, and it was good to sit down and talk about everything under the sun in an off-beat session.

It was also good to see a few familiar faces I'd met earlier this year.

Yes, the waiter was nervous! Yes, he calmed down. I think a few helpings of, "Sir, may I have another iced tea?" may have helped. By and large, just continuing to be the normal people we are is the best approach to helping others overcome their fears.

I made it a point to thank the manager on duty on my way out. It was almost comical, as I walked up to him when he was counting out the night's cash from at least one register! He gave a start, despite having been calm with us earlier. I just looked him in the eye, stuck out my hand and said, "Sir, on behalf of myself and the others here tonight, I'd simply like to thank you for accomodating us. I and the others appreciate this very much."

His response was, "I appreciate what you and the others are doing for our community."

Take that to the bank! He gets it.