• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boycott Big Lots - Back Me Up Guys

4angrybadgers

Alright, now allow me to say this for clarity's sake. I sent TWO letters, you know, those old school things where you put words on paper and then put that paper into an envelope to be delivered by the US Postal Service (AKA The Mail-Man). One letter went to their store manager, and one to their district manager. That's why I feel that I was ignored. I went ABOVE the store managers level, and still yet nothing was done.

Also, "nasty-gram" is just a phrase I used for a complaint letter. I detailed the event, and politely suggested that they inform their employees of the law. I even offered to take time out of my day, free of charge, to come talk to their employees about OC.

Now, since the store manager and district manager did not see fit to contact me with any type of reply, I have filed another complaint on their corporate website. Will anything be done? I haven't the slightest. BUT, the fact remains that I have been overlooked by two levels of the Big Lots chain of command. That, is why I will no longer be shopping there, even if they do begin to support OC.
Thank you for the clarification, I re-read your original post and can't figure out what made me think you had sent an email. My apologies.

However, I will once more encourage you to call someone in the "chain of command". That may be all it takes to get their full attention on your complaint, and get it resolved. Emails, online complaints, and snail mail can all be easily tossed onto a "to-do later" stack and lost in the noise, but if you get through to a real live person it tends to get more results, faster.

Last edited:

SavageOne

You are acting most reasonably.

Those who support OC should go to the Big Lots website and use the "Contact Us" link to tell corporate what they think of what happened in the Indiana, PA store--even if they won't be boycotting.

Seriously, one of our own was turned out because he was OCing, and too many folks are not wanting to do anything! What a shame.

If nothing else, please, just send a note.

Eye, makes a good point. We have tens of thousands of members on this forum, if each would only take the time to send in one e-mail to Big Lots corp. it might get something resolved. If you simply wish to ask for clarification of their policy, fine. If you wish to inform them you will be boycotting their stores until something is done, fine as well. The point is do something. I often on this forum hear the founding fathers quoted and praise heaped on them for their stand for freedom. They pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honors for what they believed in, will you pledge an e-mail?

I've OC'd in Big Lots in Greenville NC, Fayetteville NC, artinsburg, WV, Washington PA, and several locations in VA, and NEVER had a single issue. Once at the Greenville NC location, there were two Greenville City PD standing in front of me in line, and they never even blinked.

The only comments I've had (from patrons or staff) at any Big Lots I've ever been to was positive, or curious.

I'm a Graduate Student. I'm on a TIGHT budget. I get a lot of "daily use" junk (like paper towels, cleaning products, etc) at Big Lots. I understand your frustration, but I've been in a LOT of BigLots while OCing (and my standard OC rig is NOT subtle--a Para Ordnance S-14.45 with polished stainless slide and custom rosewood grips in a tan Serpa CQC) and it has never once been an issue at Big Lots in 4 different states.

I hope you sort it out, but in MY experience, BigLots is one of the places I've felt welcome as an OCer. Even if I wasn't on a grad student budget, I'd still shop there, because they haven't been "anti-OC" in my experience...

Maybe the rest of us can contact your local Big Lots and let them know that other Big Lots are OC-friendly, and that their stance against lawful carry is going to cost them money because it will get them on a national list of places to avoid for a group with several tens of thousands of members nationwide...

I hope you get it sorted out. Be polite. Be firm. Be factual. And if that doesn't work, then be somewhere else for your shopping...

But will you help?

I, too, have OC'd at Big Lots without incident. I'll continue to shop at Big Lots. If I ever find myself in Indiana, PA, perhaps I'll reconsider.

Can you take the time to help out someone who shares your desire to carry in Big Lots. It'll probably take less time than it did to post this.

eye95

Thanks SavageOne. Your screen name notwithstanding ;) , you made the point I was making with so much more tact and much less savagely than I.

springfield24

Wow, I'm quite surprised at the response this has gotten.

I feel as though my call for a full-on boycott might have been a bit hasty. I'm sure that in other areas people can OC with no problem. Clearly, it's not the stores policy, but the view of the employee(s) that determines how one will be treated.

I suppose that the better alternative would be simply to email them from their corporate site and ask for clarification or just gripe a little. If you have had a good experience with your local Big Lots, then continue to shop there.

The most important thing that I want to say about this is thank you. To all of you who rallied behind my "cry for blood", and all of you who felt an alternative method would be appropriate. I'm proud to be part of the OC community!

SavageOne

I have to admit I am a bit confused by the response of some of the members of this forum. When the call went out from springfield24 for help getting some clarification(and if not then a boycott) from Big Lots on it's firearm policy, the response was less than enthusiastic. Fast forward a day or so and another call goes out to boycott Toys R Us. Suddenly many are up in arms and pledging their help. What is the difference between the two? Is it easier to say you won't support a toy store than it is to say the same for a store you may frequent more? Personally I will support both endeavors and hope others will as well

thx997303

If you read the Toy R Us thread, you will see that I immediately verified that it is indeed corporate policy. I also included a picture of their no guns sign.

Not only this, but Toys R Us is a lot less desireable to do business with anyway.

Their prices tend to be high, and their locations are usually in the bad part of the city from what I have seen.

Not only that, but right in the OP of this thread it states that no firearms isn't a store policy.

From the OP.

"A manager approached me and informed me that carrying a firearm in the store was against store policy (it actually wasn't). "

This to me, immediately casts doubt on a need for a boycott.

Jack House

Not only this, but Toys R Us is a lot less desireable to do business with anyway.

Their prices tend to be high, and their locations are usually in the bad part of the city from what I have seen.
That's what he was pointing out. It's a shame that some people are only willing to participate in a boycott when it is convenient for them.

SavageOne

That's what he was pointing out. It's a shame that some people are only willing to participate in a boycott when it is convenient for them.

That was indeed the point I was trying to make. Thank you.

I also was not outright calling for a boycott. I was calling for the members of this forum to help. I admit the first thing to be done is to establish the corporate policy concerning firearms. Since it seemed they were ignoring a single individual's inquire, I was asking the the group ,en masse, contact Big Lots corporate to ask for clarification of their policy. I further stated if some members wished to boycott until such clarification that was fine as well. The point being we need to do something as a group.

I personally have not yet received a response to my e-mail requesting clarification of their policy. They say a response should take 3 to 5 days, so we will see.

Last edited: