Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inquest in Costco shooting to be televised

Inquest in Costco shooting to be televised

Let's see how they react when they're in the spotlight of public scrutiny.

Moderator / Administrator
    I think a threshold legal issue to begin with is whether the facts created reasonable articulable suspicion for the police to enage in any sort of non-consensual encounter to begin with - granted, he was reported to be carrying a concealed handgun because of accidental exposure/printing, and, that in Nevada this is acrime absent a pemrit to conceal.

But the US Supreme Court in Delaware v. Prouse (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...=440&invol=648) held that except where there is at least articulable and reasonable suspicion that a motorist is unlicensed or that an automobile is not registered, or that either the vehicle or an occupant is otherwise subject to seizure for violation of law, stopping an automobile and detaining the driver in order to check his driver's license and the registration of the automobile are unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment.

Analogizing gun carry licenses to driver's licenses would seem to lead to a similar conclusion - police cannot seize citizens carrying guns to check for gun licenses absent reasonable articulable suspicion that the person is either not licensed or is comitting or about to commit a crime.

If I'm not mistaken, all coroners inquest proceedings are recorded. It would stand to reason that the video could be obtained through a Nevada Open Records Request.

Character assassination begins

Anybody see the smear campaign for the deceased man has begun in the papers? Quoting his ex-wife as saying he was self destructive, etc.

Anything to taint the jury pool, I guess.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Shopping at Costco should not be a capital offense.

According to my information, the inquest will also be streamed live on the internet by MyNews3.com.

Steamed Video

To view the inquest click the link below
    http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/dep...deostream.aspx and then click the CLICK HERE link.

Quote Originally Posted by eb31 View Post
    I hope the 3 cops are fired...atleast. and the mgr and security guard should face civil lawsuits.
    Highly doubtful the LEO will face any repercussion from this, the historical outcome of inquests dictate this. Sadly the most the family can expect is a civil suit and a settlement unfortunately this does not bring back their son. I have no faith in the inquest process, and the way Metro conducts themselves is Gestapo at the very least. This isnt the first incident nor will it be the last to receive national recognition. This also wont be the last time an incident like this happens.

Son of a Gun! The link I posted requires Real Player to view the stream. Guess I will have to watch it tonight on the archives when I get home. For those of you who are willing to load Real Player on the PC's the Inquest starts in 45 minutes.

Looks like CCTV4 is having some Trouble, the inquest is not on yet. They's just had a screen saying "stand by for live coverage of todays coroner's inquest" and some elevator music playing for the past 20 minutes.

Perhaps the Officers need to make last minute preparations to ensure that their fabricated stories are all the same.

Also the streming video server has reached it's maximum capacity so it looks as if there is a huge interest in this one. BTW, It's finally starting on TV at 10:48
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 09-22-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Just got a server alert. Server at capacity =\

Connected and recording, provided no computer errors. I'll have to leave it on and head to work soon.
    Last edited by Lostlittlerobot; 09-22-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Transperency....yeah right.
    1 person gets to watch?
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Go to 8newsnow.com for streaming video. the link will be in red.

Sorry about the other link ... apparently they don't have the money to pump the bandwidth link the news company. They will have it archived for your viewing pleasure later tonight though... so that's something at least?

I like how they try to paint him as a drug addict, yet fail to provide any hard information on how this chemical dependency would have make him go to "Beserk", something that only the security tape can actually prove.
    Last edited by flagellum; 09-22-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

They are trying to poison the jury with things that don't matter. The question ultimately boils down to either Scott posed an immediate threat or he didn't. Everything else is just song and dance. Remember, the Process is designed to get cops off the hook. So far, this is the only possible outcome unless there is a bombshell revelation like a video taken by a witness that shows Scott never drew his weapon or even made a move towards it. If such a video existed, the cameraman could name his own price and the DA would likely pay it to keep it under wraps.

Why would he carry when taking so many narcotics including morphine? I am not saying that justifies shooting him.

Quote Originally Posted by greengum View Post
    Why would he carry when taking so many narcotics including morphine? I am not saying that justifies shooting him.
    Probably for the same reason people drive when they are "only a little buzzed," or flat out drunk: because they are dumb. People who drink or do drugs should never be in possession of ANY weapon. That includes guns, knives, cars, or anything else.

This guy had LETHAL doses of several drugs in his system. I second the opinion that a shooting was not justified in that particular sense, but still... this guy was out like Michael J. Fox playing Operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo_Sierra View Post
    Probably for the same reason people drive when they are "only a little buzzed," or flat out drunk: because they are dumb. People who drink or do drugs should never be in possession of ANY weapon. That includes guns, knives, cars, or anything else.

This guy had LETHAL doses of several drugs in his system. I second the opinion that a shooting was not justified in that particular sense, but still... this guy was out like Michael J. Fox playing Operation.

The DA thanks you for taking his bait. that "lethal dose" was was relevant to people who have not taken or developed a tolerance to it. They said that several times. Again, all of this is beside the point. Remember, this inquest as stated by the judge, "is intended to be a fact finding proceeding to determine the facts surrounding the death of Erik Scott."

This BS about the dog bite should be ended by the judge right now. It has no bearing on the incident whatsoever. Neither did his marital history, or anything else that didn't immediately pertain to his death.

Take notes everyone, because if you ever use your firearm in self defense, these are the tactics they will use to prove that you're a murderer, instead of a law abiding citizen acting in self defense.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 09-23-2010 at 01:19 PM.

The Coroners Inquest - A Viewing Guide Courtesy of the Nevada ACLU

http://aclunv.org/files/TheCoroner%2...ideFinal_0.pdf

The toxicology evidence is laughable. Certainly a lethal dose is a relative term, as we see that Erik was alive and well, that is up until the bullets hit him.
    Just as one puff of marijuana will make me high as a kite, some people who are chronic smokers will smoke two joints as a way to wake up in the morning with little to no effect. They want to try to make it look like he was under the spell of some sort of "Reefer Madness", while nothing shows that it had any effect on his judgment.
    Last edited by flagellum; 09-23-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo_Sierra View Post

I also find it troubling that this guy was maintaining such high-level doses and question his sense in carrying while in that condition. From the doctors' and some witness' descriptions this is going to weigh heavily against him.

Still in all, there are questions here which should be equally troubling to a responsible PD in determining training standards and procedures for dealing with these situations.

Obviously nobody should be shot merely for carrying while purchasing camping equipment and I hope the family gets some justice in this situation but it doesn't look good so far. It's a tragedy and should make us all sit back and consider how things would go if we had been in that situation.

Common Sense

Common sense dictates that if the guy had "lethal doses" of anything in his system then he would not have been alive. Think outside the box folks.
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think a threshold legal issue to begin with is whether the facts created reasonable articulable suspicion for the police to enage in any sort of non-consensual encounter to begin with - granted, he was reported to be carrying a concealed handgun because of accidental exposure/printing, and, that in Nevada this is acrime absent a pemrit to conceal.

But the US Supreme Court in Delaware v. Prouse (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...=440&invol=648) held that except where there is at least articulable and reasonable suspicion that a motorist is unlicensed or that an automobile is not registered, or that either the vehicle or an occupant is otherwise subject to seizure for violation of law, stopping an automobile and detaining the driver in order to check his driver's license and the registration of the automobile are unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment.

Analogizing gun carry licenses to driver's licenses would seem to lead to a similar conclusion - police cannot seize citizens carrying guns to check for gun licenses absent reasonable articulable suspicion that the person is either not licensed or is comitting or about to commit a crime.
    Have you read the transcripts from the Connecticut case??? It's about this very question what is RAS when someone has a gun. Read what the judges says.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    The DA thanks you for taking his bait. that "lethal dose" was was relevant to people who have not taken or developed a tolerance to it. They said that several times. Again, all of this is beside the point. Remember, this inquest as stated by the judge, "is intended to be a fact finding proceeding to determine the facts surrounding the death of Erik Scott."

This BS about the dog bite should be ended by the judge right now. It has no bearing on the incident whatsoever. Neither did his marital history, or anything else that didn't immediately pertain to his death.

Take notes everyone, because if you ever use your firearm in self defense, these are the tactics they will use to prove that you're a murderer, instead of a law abiding citizen acting in self defense.
    regarding "lethal dose" actually it is fully listed as LD50 or the level that is Lethal to 50 % of those given that dose.

I don't think you can say somebody who was on drugs didn't have their judgement impared, regardless of dose. I should know.

That said - I still think the PD should prove he was an immediate threat and not just stoned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast