• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOCA open carry event at Portland City Hall, Tuesday September 14th, 2010

boyscout399

so oc is legal in portland city hall? just wanted to know. i will be there tommorrow at 5:30.

xd -over

It is covered by state preemption and is nowhere near a school zone or anything, so yes, perfectly legal and they cannot remove you because of it.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
how far from a school is city hall?

xd-over

according to google maps it's within 200ft. so here's the kicker. The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act of 1990 has been found by various courts to in essence not hold any water. If you have a Maine state issued license to carry than you are completely exempt. Without a permit you are not exempt although there has been no proven legislation EVER that the 1000ft. law is actually substantiated.

This has been talked about with the NRA and we found that your good to carry. Just don't go on school property (obviously) and that includes the parking lot.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
REMINDER: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CARRY TO COME TO THIS It is actually not even encouraged, just be yourself like you would on any other day. If you carry as part of your daily routine, go for it, if not, don't. As with any MOCA event you do NOT need to carry to participate! :)

crdonov

REMINDER: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CARRY TO COME TO THIS It is actually not even encouraged, just be yourself like you would on any other day. If you carry as part of your daily routine, go for it, if not, don't. As with any MOCA event you do NOT need to carry to participate! :)

so im covered with a maine concealed weapon permit?

rhenriksen

No email addresses right now. Many are confidential.

I'd stayed out of contacting any of the gov officials 'till I saw the NRA's news blurb (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6017) which published a few. So I sent off this tonight:

"Gentlemen,

I'd like to voice my strong opposition to this idea of banning law-abiding citizens from practicing their constitutional rights. While perhaps well-intentioned, these sorts of restrictions have no influence on the actions of criminals; all they wind up accomplishing is hampering the ability of lawful citizens to keep themselves and their families safe.

I'm sorry I'm away from Portland until this Friday, or I would be at Tuesday's meeting in person. Our inalienable right of self-defense is recognized and protected by our state constitution, and that of our country. Please stick to prosecuting the people who perform acts of assault, battery, robbery, and worse. Don't criminalize the good citizens who only seek to protect themselves."

Maine CWP Training

Reply from councilman skolnik

thank you sir. I appreciate you providing the statute language and also bolding a part to focus on. We will be talking over these and all the applicable statutes in exploring the possibilities here to make our communities safer.

Thanks again,

dan skolnik
city council, district 3
city of portland
389 congress st.
Portland, maine 04101

aadvark

Do everything in your power to prevent Maine from becoming a State where Firearms and Weapons are not allowed in Public Buildings!
In my State, Georgia, some of our Legislators have been trying for Years, and with some success, to try to get Firearms and Weapons Legal in Public Buildings!
It will be a Disaster if I hear that Maine becomes a State where Citizens can not be trusted in Buildings that are furnished by Citizens themselves.