• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feb 22, 2011, we can carry guns in the park?

airwolf09

I read this artile and want to confirm if this is correct.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/07/06/article/it_s_a_right_some_want_to_protect

so, Feb 22, 2011, we can carry guns in the park?
is that all the park or just a certain one

"Charles Cranfield, superintendent of the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, said a federal law that went into effect Feb. 22 allows people who can legally possess firearms to carry guns in the park."

Dreamer

Yes, and the National Park/State Park thing can be REALLY tricky here in NC...

For instance, in the OBX, it's perfectly legal now to carry at the Wright Brothers Memorial Park (National Park), but just a few miles down the road, it is completely NOT legal to carry at Jockey Ridge (NC State Park).

Further down the road, it is perfectly legal to carry in any of the National Parks of the southern OBX and most of the National Seashores (but not on State Gamelands)...

Know where the borders are. It gets tricky in NC...

airwolf09

Yes, and the National Park/State Park thing can be REALLY tricky here in NC...

For instance, in the OBX, it's perfectly legal now to carry at the Wright Brothers Memorial Park (National Park), but just a few miles down the road, it is completely NOT legal to carry at Jockey Ridge (NC State Park).

Further down the road, it is perfectly legal to carry in any of the National Parks of the southern OBX and most of the National Seashores (but not on State Gamelands)...

Know where the borders are. It gets tricky in NC...

now, that's getting me a headache. why can they just make a straight rule. legal on all park. as i often time walk my son in city park but i have to leave my firearm at home.

Dreamer

now, that's getting me a headache. why can they just make a straight rule. legal on all park. as i often time walk my son in city park but i have to leave my firearm at home.

City parks are NOT universally prohibited in NC. Just State parks have a blanket ban...

In fact, most city parks in NC are perfectly legal for carry. It depends on your local laws. Here in Washington, there is no city code or statute prohibiting carry in a city park, so it is perfectly legal. Same for Greenville. And I'm pretty sure it's not prohibited in NewBern and Jacksonville too, but don't quote me on that...

What NC city do you live in, that has a city park ban on the books?

airwolf09

City parks are NOT universally prohibited in NC. Just State parks have a blanket ban...

In fact, most city parks in NC are perfectly legal for carry. It depends on your local laws. Here in Washington, there is no city code or statute prohibiting carry in a city park, so it is perfectly legal. Same for Greenville. And I'm pretty sure it's not prohibited in NewBern and Jacksonville too, but don't quote me on that...

i'm in Raleigh toward Knightdale.

farkles

Dreamer, my area is known for the opposite as yours. Winston Salem, Greensboro, Kernersville etc all have "ordinances" prohibiting weapons of any kind at their city parks I believe. They almost all have signs that state this as you enter the park and point to some BS ordinance.

In fact, just a couple months ago a jogger got stabbed and mugged by several bum thugs in Miller Park (I play tennis and bocce there often), a Winston Salem park. Surprise! Bad guys didn't follow the "no weapons" policy and stabbed the guy, and the guy couldn't carry a gun of his own without risking prosecution if he were caught.

Makes me not want to play tennis at any of these POS parks and find a private location where I can bring my Glock in my bag to protect myself. Although it is nice to know I can also go for a nice leisurely walk at Guilford Courthouse Nat'l Park from now on with my Glock.

mekender

Perhaps the trick to remember is all BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land is a go, other land, not necessarily.

Except we east coast people have no real concept of what BLM is. You must be from out west...

farkles

Except we east coast people have no real concept of what BLM is. You must be from out west...

I don't know off the top of my head which land is BLM, my point was if you are wondering about a place and its legality, perhaps ask if they are under control of BLM. National Forests have been legal to possess guns for some time, National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges are the newer members welcomed to the family.

Still NO federal buildings...even if not posted

papa bear

Mt. airy has no firearm signs in their parks. i read this as criminal safe zones, or anti citizen laws. when i was in winston i noticed a lot of anti-citizen zones, library, parks, ect. . why can't citizens exerciser that constitutional rights on public property. isn't this a lot like the white only water fountains of years past. maybe we can get together and protest these injustices. maybe some letters to local officials pointing out the lunacy.
imgres

NCBobD

National Forests have been legal to possess guns for some time,

Per federal law. But keep in mind that in NC most National Forest land is also classified as State Gamelands. In NC the laws for firearms carry on State Gamelands are actually quite restrictive. Unless during hunting season you are restricted to a .22 short, long or long rifle handgun with a barrel not longer than 7.5 inches. Several of us have pleaded with folks here and in other forums to submit comments asking this policy be changed during the current comment period. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80252-NCWRC-public-hearings

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Last edited:

cigarface

carrying in federal parks is ok but remember not to take it into any bilding on the parks i have been told they will try and charge you for this "Any federally-owned property or federally-regulated property".

in the bill it said federal parks not mentioned are bilding on the parks.

smlawrence

Kernersville Fourth of July Park

My cousin was having his boy's 1st Bday party at K'ville Fourth of July Park and I went all over the internet looking and found nothing. So I called the city leo and had the Lt. say no OC or CC at all in any of K'villes Parks. I said I understood and hung up. Maybe the criminals will get that message too and not take their guns to the park....yea right.