• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Allegan County Fair?

TheQ

Yes -- but

If they have a beer tent, you'll need to stay clear of that. I wouldn't plan on visiting the grand stands either. Both of these places are kosher, of course, if you have a CPL.

TheQ

Thanks Q and auto

They would have to have it posted no guns somewhere on the outside of the gates correct? I guess I'll have to do some investigations deeper into it, maybe call today and try to get an answer.

If it's public property, there's nothing they can do about OC. State law preempts restrictions.

If it's private property, private property rules trump state law.

1245A Defender

Thanks Q and auto

They would have to have it posted no guns somewhere on the outside of the gates correct? I guess I'll have to do some investigations deeper into it, maybe call today and try to get an answer.

Only ask , if the property is private!!!
do not ask if carrying guns is OK with them!
if you do that, they will undoubtedly, tell you NO, and put up signs!

quarter horseman

If it's public property, there's nothing they can do about OC. State law preempts restrictions.

Yes thank you that is understood, now I guess the question is, has there been anyone who has Oced there or knows if there is any no gun signs? I will call when I'm on my lunch break and see what I can find out.

TheQ

Yes thank you that is understood, now I guess the question is, has there been anyone who has Oced there or knows if there is any no gun signs? I will call when I'm on my lunch break and see what I can find out.

If it's public property, any no guns sign is unenforcible.

lapeer20m

most fairgrounds in the state are private property run by private fair boards. One exception is the Genesee County Fairgrounds which is in fact county property.

It appears they may be owned/run by the allagen county ag society, which is most likely a private affair. The web sight doesn't specifically say. I did some googling, but could not find the answer.

PDinDetroit

most fairgrounds in the state are private property run by private fair boards. One exception is the Genesee County Fairgrounds which is in fact county property.

It appears they may be owned/run by the allagen county ag society, which is most likely a private affair. The web sight doesn't specifically say. I did some googling, but could not find the answer.

If any Public Monies are used for the fair in any manner, then I would believe that the Festival Contract would state the Festival has to meet State Laws and rights could not be denied.

Just my $.02...

Last edited:

quarter horseman

You are correct! I called on my lunch, I could not find anything on no guns. I'll look tomorrow at the entrance to see if I can find something.

Hopefully between now and then someone will have more information for me.

quarter horseman

NO sign that I could see

I looked all over the entrance to the fairgrounds and did not see any sign posted no guns. I may have missed it, so it's not 100% fact. I was not sure about the rule, so I didnt even bring the sig. Carry on

mnslawn1

I know this is almost 2 years old but did you find out or anyone oc'd here since this thread started ??

I plan on attending and want to know...

kubel

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that private property rules hold no weight with regard to firearm laws, they can only trespass an individual if they don't follow the rules. In other words, if there's a "no firearms" sign, police can't arrest me for carrying there, correct?