• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Book burning in Gainesville on 9/11 and also carrying

thejax

FIRST I want to stress that I don't want this thread to turn into if anyone is for or against this book burning thing. Any comments about being for or against it may cause an issue here so I warn that.

What I would like to mention is this is a public gathering of this pastor exercising his constitutional rights on expressing how he feels on a certain matter. Now this event would not be fishing or hunting so if you chose to attend this event, regardless if you support it, are against it, or just want to see what is going on.... do you think it would be in our interests to use this event that will have worldwide new coverage to help in our gun advocate cause?

Meaning a large group of people who are progun show up in the event, conceal, but make it pretty obvious within the law that they are carrying and maybe a few signs too. Could help get the message across for open carry.

Could also be viewed as gun advocates are supporting the cause which may hurt our efforts. Just wanted to know anyone's opinion on this. Not looking to get slammed on here. Lets be civil.

Flanders007

He's oc'ing!!!

FIRST I want to stress that I don't want this thread to turn into if anyone is for or against this book burning thing. Any comments about being for or against it may cause an issue here so I warn that.

What I would like to mention is this is a public gathering of this pastor exercising his constitutional rights on expressing how he feels on a certain matter. Now this event would not be fishing or hunting so if you chose to attend this event, regardless if you support it, are against it, or just want to see what is going on.... do you think it would be in our interests to use this event that will have worldwide new coverage to help in our gun advocate cause?

Meaning a large group of people who are progun show up in the event, conceal, but make it pretty obvious within the law that they are carrying and maybe a few signs too. Could help get the message across for open carry.

Could also be viewed as gun advocates are supporting the cause which may hurt our efforts. Just wanted to know anyone's opinion on this. Not looking to get slammed on here. Lets be civil.

Just saw this today guys... I know WA concealed licence is good in FL, but I don't have the option to OC there... right? I thought FL was one of those states that doesn't allow OC at ALL!

If that's the case, check this out!!! The pastor is clearly OC'ing

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/slideshow/ALeqM5hKWWJdTrfALpbYfWB6fM58p6u-pwD9I4I32G0?index=4

What gives?

Attachments

• pastor OCing.jpg
    pastor OCing.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 130

Jared

Not an issue

I don't see how carrying would be an issue. It would be concealed as per Florida law, no one would know; therefore, no one would link open carriers with book burning. Now if Florida law allows you to OC on private property with permission (I do not know if it is an option) then that would be a different story. If there is a way for you to legally open carry on the church property (or where else the event will take place) then you could just go with the saying that you open carry as part of your daily life and that would not change because you are present at a heated event.

Those are my thoughts

Flanders007

and for the record...

and just to be clear... I am upset that this guy thinks it is ok to burn the koran... it will do more harm then good... however, I support his right to be a moron...

and that my friends is what is beautiful about the USA... they have the right to offend, and I have the right to be offended... and just because burning (US flag, koran, bible) may be offense to some, I cannot sit here and tell them they "can't do it."

Dreamer

Although I fully support people's 1A freedom of expression, we need to remember that when people engage in certain activities like burning books, that puts them in some pretty dicey company, historically.

If people want to be viewed in the same historical context as the Inquisition, the Third Reich, and the Taliban, then they can knock themselves out.

Personally, I'd look into a more creative (and less historically charged) method of expression to voice my beliefs...

Rights are not merely the license to do whatever you want. They carry with them responsibilities. Participation in civil society implies that one is a signatory to the "social contract", and when one purposefully and maliciously excludes the rights of others, they void their participation in that contract.

I think this pastor's methodology is treading dangerously close to voiding his social contract, and I don't think he's really thought through the potential consequences of those actions.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
My take and analysis after reading the threads to which thejax has posted:

We have a new Agent Provocateur and not a very subtle one at that; who also carries a BB gun according to an earlier post. :confused:

thejax 02-14-2010 09:40 PM
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?62293-Air-powerd-bb&p=1148695#post1148695

Agreed...

I missed the ho-down. Had to work, but I live only minutes from the place. There were crowds of news vans there for days in advance, far eclipsing the number of any actual 'protesters.' The news are more interested in stirring up a shitstorm than any other goings on.

Regardless of your position on the event, or non-event as it is; where are the Liberals' concern for 1st Amendment Rights of Mr. Jones? Anybody notice his website was entirely shut down and they won't let him speak for himself?

Funny how the Liberals are suddenly all concerned about Religious Freedom and Free Speech, after defaming, censoring, lying, etc., against Christian Churches for centuries without a hint of concern for the same... If Muslims wanted to burn Bibles, and their owners along with them, would the media even report it?

If only it hadn't been done already, you might be able to call me hyperbolic...

What concerned me the most were the Police "License Checkpoints." Anyone coming or going is stopped and ID demanded. This was so days in advance, and was so today when I made a pass. I was console-carrying, per peaceable journey law, my 1911. I did not consent to any searches, though my person was searched anyway, but not the car. Imagine had they 'found a gun' in my car....

Last edited: