• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First post and noob question

Dizalot

Hi,
I have been reading these forums for awhile and open carrying for a while. I have a question about schools. I know I cannot carry on school grounds, but can I have a gun locked in the trunk loaded or unloaded on school grounds? I have to pick up or drop off the kids and when this happens I do not carry because I am unsure if my 2 minute trip through the parking lot is legal.

Thanks

cricketdad

Hi,
I have been reading these forums for awhile and open carrying for a while. I have a question about schools. I know I cannot carry on school grounds, but can I have a gun locked in the trunk loaded or unloaded on school grounds? I have to pick up or drop off the kids and when this happens I do not carry because I am unsure if my 2 minute trip through the parking lot is legal.

Thanks

§ 14‑269.2. Weapons on campus or other educational property.

(a) The following definitions apply to this section:

(1) Educational property. – Any school building or bus, school campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education or school board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any school.

(1a) Employee. – A person employed by a local board of education or school whether the person is an adult or a minor.

(1b) School. – A public or private school, community college, college, or university.

(2) Student. – A person enrolled in a school or a person who has been suspended or expelled within the last five years from a school, whether the person is an adult or a minor.

(3) Switchblade knife. – A knife containing a blade that opens automatically by the release of a spring or a similar contrivance.

(4) Weapon. – Any device enumerated in subsection (b), (b1), or (d) of this section.

(b) It shall be a Class I felony for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. Unless the conduct is covered under some other provision of law providing greater punishment, any person who willfully discharges a firearm of any kind on educational property is guilty of a Class F felony. However, this subsection does not apply to a BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, or air pistol.

(b1) It shall be a Class G felony for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any dynamite cartridge, bomb, grenade, mine, or powerful explosive as defined in G.S. 14‑284.1, on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. This subsection shall not apply to fireworks.

Dreamer

I always park off campus when I have a firearm in the car. Under NC law, you can't have a firearm--in any configuration--in your vehicle or "on or about your person" when on school property.

The "extracurricular activity" ban is something I need to look into further. I'm a grad student in the Fine Arts, and our school has a lot of shows in local privately-owned galleries and other venues. I'm wondering if those fall under this prohibition, since they are private property, not owned by the school, but are being used for school-related events (art shows).

Most of them ARE prohibited anyway, because they usually have wine and beer available for purchase, but if a show was "dry", I'm wondering if it would be prohibited for carry, due to affiliation with the school.

Oh well, I suppose this means another call to the Attorney General's office... ;)

Dizalot

Thanks,
That is what I thought. Parking off site is not an option some mornings for drop off, but will try to work with it.