• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HometownLive.com (MI) - Police chief says open carry is a non-issue

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20100909/OPINION/9090603

SNIP

. . .

AB&E, and Royal Oak's first turn as its host, after the annual festival moved from Pontiac, were the focus last month of an effort by open-carry advocates to make a statement about their right to walk around in public, without a special permit, wearing a holstered pistol. That's different from legally carrying a concealed pistol, which requires a minimum of training, a background check and a license.

The open-carry right was apparently not widely understood . . . [but] said Christopher Jahnke, the city's police chief, in Tuesday's Detroit Free Press. “It's been a nonissue.”

An open-carry fan on michiganopencarry.org agreed with Jahnke — albeit from a different perspective. Using the handle Small Arms Collect, he (or, less likely, she) expressed disappointment at not being noticed at AB&E.

. . .

fozzy71

he said, could make themselves targets of those bent on committing crimes, while concealed-carry adds the element of uncertainty that could work against a would-be criminal.

visible deterant > uncertainty

Personally, I cannot see what open-carry folks are preparing to defend themselves against, short of stumbling upon another O.K. Corral, which is unlikely.

:facepalm:

The OK Corral started because firearm carry was made illegal in the town. Thank the legislature for pre-emption so these little towns cant try that again.

I've been robbed twice at gunpoint — I spent my reckless youth in Detroit — and am under no illusions that, if I had had been wearing a pistol, concealed or unconcealed, I would have been successfully able to resist an armed mugger at close quarters who already had the drop on me.

Perhaps the mugger would have picked an unarmed target? :eek:

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
People do notice, and when they don't freak out, or call the police, then we are doing our jobs. However, people still do both, and AB&E is no exception. If he/she thought that people didn't notice, then his situational awareness needs some work. To be disappointed, is to have the wrong perspective.

AB&E was a huge victory for those who value, and those who exercise their rights. Attitudes are changing, peoples fears are starting to erode, police and governments are being educated, but we are far from done. There is a lot of work to do, laws to be brought in line with common sense, and the constitution, fears and misconceptions to be dealt with.

Winter is coming, and OC exposure will be greatly reduced as a result. Peoples memories are short, and the antis will use this time to gain momentum for their agenda, and we must remain vigilant in order to keep the ground we have gained this year.

scot623

How lazy does a reporter have to be to troll for quotes off of Internet forums? Then he goes and mischarcterizes the quote! Nowhere did I see the OP say he was disappointed for not being noticed. Looks like Mr. Jachman knows how to use a phone, he did quote real people for his article, funny how they advanced his anti position though. Is this what reporting is becoming? Why not quote people from the comment sections of these papers. There is usually some nice hate speech in there to use. I'm giving Matt a call.

Matt Jachman
313-222-2405
mjachman@hometownlife.com

B

Bikenut

-snip-

Winter is coming, and OC exposure will be greatly reduced as a result.

I will do as I always have done in the winter. I've heard it called "casual concealed carry" or "casual open carry".... I call it just leaving my jacket unzipped and open. And when too warm inside a building the jacket comes off. But my sidearm will be in the same place it always is... holstered on my hip.

But I agree that we must remain vigilant... and we must continue our efforts to influence changing laws to reflect rights.

But the anti's never ever give up and they never ever sleep either. Neither should we.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Arrrgh! Spin, spin, spin away they will...

Plymouth's Police Chief can't see what citizens are defending themselves against? How about the guy who was robbed at gunpoint and carjacked on 5/17/10 in the aforementioned fantasy land of Plymouth where no crime happens?

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Plymouth-Michigan.html

This is just another LEO that takes the mindset of "we are all knowing, all seeing..." reading between the lines this equals: "For God's sake Open Carry People, stop carrying, or our sheeple may start to realize just how vulnerable they & their families are and arm themselves too!" The next thing you know "We" are no longer needed.

This as many things boils down to $$$$ & many in Law Enforcement are scared for their jobs already, so OC is perceived as a threat by them: AKA a reduction in JOB SECURITY. Ever notice none of them ever bring up the multiple rulings by courts stating their jobs (LEO) is not to protect citizens. It is to enforce the law period. Those rulings stem from lawsuits brought by families & loved ones of people who lost their lives because they bought into the myth of "911 will save you". Only to find when they needed it most, the system & the police let them down.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

How lazy does a reporter have to be to troll for quotes off of Internet forums? Then he goes and mischarcterizes the quote! Nowhere did I see the OP say he was disappointed for not being noticed. Looks like Mr. Jachman knows how to use a phone, he did quote real people for his article, funny how they advanced his anti position though. Is this what reporting is becoming? Why not quote people from the comment sections of these papers. There is usually some nice hate speech in there to use. I'm giving Matt a call.

Matt Jachman
313-222-2405
mjachman@hometownlife.com

I called him and left a message. I also sent the Open Letter to MI Legislators as well. We'll see if he calls, I would be glad to speak with him.

Given the proper information, I have had very few actually against what we did. Those that are against it have been strictly anti's and seem to be unreachable at this time (this is ALWAYS HOPE this could change).

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I will do as I always have done in the winter. I've heard it called "casual concealed carry" or "casual open carry".... I call it just leaving my jacket unzipped and open. And when too warm inside a building the jacket comes off. But my sidearm will be in the same place it always is... holstered on my hip.

But I agree that we must remain vigilant... and we must continue our efforts to influence changing laws to reflect rights.

But the anti's never ever give up and they never ever sleep either. Neither should we.

You are correct in this, and I also continue to OC during winter, admittedly, the leg drop is part of that plan. I was not only referring to the winter clothing issue, but the lack of public events like AB&E, and our picinicks.