• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry situation at a Truck Stop caused LEO to be summoned... Bad Encounter

TFred

"Well son she ain't the brightest bulb in the batch. Don't worry. This is about to get really ugly but there is a happy ending around the corner".
This is the best line I've read in quite some time. :)

On the question of OC... obviously this lady has a broken brain. If he'd been OC'ing, she probably would have hit the alarm as soon as he came in the store.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Wow! That is one heckuva story for the grand-kids!

I like Peter's suggested handling.

What might be some other suggestions? I'd like to think through on this for the sake of not having to figure it out on the fly if it ever happens to me.

I'm thinking that Peter's handling, alone, just results in the employee calling the police anyway.

Of the cuff, I'm thinking of a few options.

"Thank you for confessing you did not see me stealing anything. Why are you illegally detaining me?"

"Either physically detain me and call the police or get out of my way, NOW!"

"Get your supervisor."

"[I start yelling for a supervisor]"

I guess an important angle is to recognize that declaring a concealed gun can easily cause more trouble than sorting out the already unpleasant situation without mentioning the gun, and just face up to the fact that the situation really needs to be confronted with some resolve.

By the way, a lot of places have security cameras. Did you ask that the tape be preserved?

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Store employees are immune to civil suits for false arrest if and only if they have probable cause to stop you. That requires more than a refusal to show a receipt or the contents of your baggage. They have to actually have a reason to think you swiped something, i.e., someone actually saw you do it. There is a statute that says that those security tag beeper things going off does supply probable cause, but that's the only exception I know of.

So I'm thinking this got whacked out of proportion by the failure to do something effective, like either shove past the blockage or find the store manager. I tell people not to talk about guns, not to anyone except your lawyer, and not under any circumstances. If the idiot hadn't screamed about it, she'd have reason to say you threatened her - "brandishing a firearm" if not "aggravated assault". Don't talk about the gun.

LRS76251

Interesting

The supposed facts involved in this story do not add up. The OP has posted numerous suspect stories with bizarre sequences of events to the forums since he's been a member here. I'm not saying that any of it didn't happen but when you post a lot of bizarre stuff it makes it harder to believe any future tales in the long run. However, they are pretty damn funny stories to read. I needed a good laugh today!!! Carry on.

Last edited:
M

McX

HAD to stop and read! Incredible story of incredible stupidity! Glad it went well for you. Wow! Just plain Wow!!!

TFred

There is a statute that says that those security tag beeper things going off does supply probable cause, but that's the only exception I know of.
I never knew this. However, it doesn't seem to provide for any expected level of competence from a store employee to know how and to properly disengage the device when you go through the check-out line.

Code is pasted below.

TFred

§ 8.01-226.9. Exemption from civil liability in connection with arrest or detention of person suspected of shoplifting.

A merchant, agent or employee of the merchant, who causes the arrest or detention of any person pursuant to the provisions of §§ 18.2-95, 18.2-96 or § 18.2-103, shall not be held civilly liable for unlawful detention, if such detention does not exceed one hour, slander, malicious prosecution, false imprisonment, false arrest, or assault and battery of the person so arrested or detained, whether such arrest or detention takes place on the premises of the merchant, or after close pursuit from such premises by such merchant, his agent or employee, provided that, in causing the arrest or detention of such person, the merchant, agent or employee of the merchant, had at the time of such arrest or detention probable cause to believe that the person had shoplifted or committed willful concealment of goods or merchandise. The activation of an electronic article surveillance device as a result of a person exiting the premises or an area within the premises of a merchant where an electronic article surveillance device is located shall constitute probable cause for the detention of such person by such merchant, his agent or employee, provided such person is detained only in a reasonable manner and only for such time as is necessary for an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the activation of the device, and provided that clear and visible notice is posted at each exit and location within the premises where such a device is located indicating the presence of an antishoplifting or inventory control device. For purposes of this section, "electronic article surveillance device" means an electronic device designed and operated for the purpose of detecting the removal from the premises, or a protected area within such premises, of specially marked or tagged merchandise.​

Haz.

I am glad things worked out as it did for you.

Armed for self defence is banned in my country and CC/OC definately is. Last time I was asked by a store employee to open my bag for inspection, suspecting I may have stolen something, and after I paid for the items I did puchase, I replied, "NO, you call the police and I will gladly open my bag for them to inspect. He asked me to leave the store which I did never to return.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
those security tag beeper things going off
Those seem to always go off on me. I keep my pace.. hold my BAG up in the air as a gesture to all that look and for the cameras to capture that I have a BEST BUY bag or Home Depot, etc. and I am already out the door. I DO NOT stand there like a deer in headlights and take my bag back to a register to let them demagnetize my purchase. Quite frankly, I don't CARE if their little beeper goes off.

TFred

Those seem to always go off on me. I keep my pace.. hold my BAG up in the air as a gesture to all that look and for the cameras to capture that I have a BEST BUY bag or Home Depot, etc. and I am already out the door. I DO NOT stand there like a deer in headlights and take my bag back to a register to let them demagnetize my purchase. Quite frankly, I don't CARE if their little beeper goes off.
I find that law that User mentioned (and I pasted above) a bit disturbing. It seems to me to say that if the beeper goes off for any reason whatsoever, they are allowed to tackle you and injure you to their heart's content. Maybe I'm reading too much into it... but how broad can you define "assault and battery"?

TFred

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I am glad things worked out as it did for you.

Armed for self defence is banned in my country and CC/OC definately is. Last time I was asked by a store employee to open my bag for inspection, suspecting I may have stolen something, and after I paid for the items I did puchase, I replied, "NO, you call the police and I will gladly open my bag for them to inspect. He asked me to leave the store which I did never to return.

In which country do you live?

MSC 45ACP

I really have a good time with the WalMart "greeters" that ask to check my receipt. I simply say "No thank you" and keep on walking, to leave them spluttering for a response. They're used to the sheeple giving in to their demands and simply showing them their recepits. What I bought at WalMart is NONE OF THEIR DARN BUSINESS! The alarm didn't go off, so I'm good to go. Puck em. Their facial expressions are usually priceless.

Elkad

I really have a good time with the WalMart "greeters" that ask to check my receipt. I simply say "No thank you" and keep on walking, to leave them spluttering for a response.

I have a problem remembering to NOT do that at Sams. Club, not a store, so they can revoke your membership for failure to comply with their silly exit-check rules.

paramedic70002

Let me tell you about my wife

Wife was doing some midnight shopping at the WM in Suffolk. Apparently she spent too much time looking for a sheet set because 2 employees approached her and demanded she open her purse. She refused and asked for the manager, got the same game, then asked for the police. Once the LEO arrived, she informed him of her permit, and that the weapon was in her purse. He smiled, then told her to empty it in front of them. So out comes the thousands of items women normally carry in their shoulder suitcases, and finally the H&K USP 4, but no stolen merchandise.

Those employees had a fit.

"She's got a gun!"

"She was going to rob us!"

Wife: "Can I finish shopping now?"

LEO: "Sure."

Employee: "You're going to let her back in the store!?!?"

LEO: "Ma'am, you're free to go. You two, come here!" (Schooling takes place)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that bag (from Bagmasters). I use one frequently. I only wish it had 2 clips so it didn't flop around so much.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

At SAMS Club, I let them "check" my receipt. You really don't have a choice there. They block the exit and you have to get past them. There is no way to do that without being rude.