• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a city charge for a pistol purchase permit?

EM87

I just went to drop off a couple RI-60 forms and saw someone paying for a purchase permit! I thought the law did not allow that. I asked the lady behind the window and she said that the $5 charge was for the purchase permit to be notarized.

Is this legal?

B

Bikenut

Oh no... there is no charge for a pistol purchase permit... just a fee for notarizing it.

There is no such thing as "registering" your gun or keeping a "registry" of who owns which gun... there is just a "safety inspection" where your name, address, and serial number of the gun is kept on record... or you just need to send us a form with your name, address, and serial number of the gun to us.

Don't worry... we have your best interests in mind and will take care of you. Nothing to see here... move along now like a good little subject.

(Where is the "puke" emoticon thingy when ya need it?)

B

Bikenut

ehem actually it is registration now... they stopped trying to fool us with the safety inspection crap awhile ago.

Yeah, I know... I was using that ridiculous "safety inspection" thing as an example of how the gov. thinks "we the people" are too stupid to figure out their lies.

Edited because I did a dummy and cross posted what was supposed to go into a different thread.... cranial flatulence moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
One of the things that made me respect Lansing PD more, their sign near the records department admits, in plain language, they register your handguns.

At least someone admits it. :)

lil_freak_66

lansing charges $5 for a notary fee,they say they do not require themselves to notarize it....but they will give you every reason in the world about why they should do it themselves...

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
lansing charges $5 for a notary fee,they say they do not require themselves to notarize it....but they will give you every reason in the world about why they should do it themselves...
I wouldn't know about that. Haven't had to get a purchase permit since 2003, myself. I thought you lived in or near Holt? Shouldn't you get the PP from Ingham County Sheriff's office?

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I just went to drop off a couple RI-60 forms and saw someone paying for a purchase permit! I thought the law did not allow that. I asked the lady behind the window and she said that the $5 charge was for the purchase permit to be notarized.

Is this legal?

no, they cannot force you to have it notarized there either. i fought st clair on this and won just a few weeks ago. read about it here:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...MI-regarding-preemption&p=1355528#post1355528

lil_freak_66

I wouldn't know about that. Haven't had to get a purchase permit since 2003, myself. I thought you lived in or near Holt? Shouldn't you get the PP from Ingham County Sheriff's office?

I live in Lansing technically(another 100 yards S. and it is holt) so i have to go downtown for my purchase permits.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
the Sheriff is closer,and probably less corrupt than Lansing...
Well, I can't really comment on the corruption, except to say that one time, I had to go to LPD to have a background check done. I forget what they charge, but I had a $20.00 bill that I was going to use to pay for it. Somewhere between the Police HQ and where I parked, I lost it. I didn't find this out until I got to the counter (same place you go to get PtP and used to take guns for "safety inspection.") I had just given them my name, and was looking for the money when I realized it was gone.

I told the officer I'd be right back. I went looking, could not find it, got really frustrated. Went to the ATM just outside their door and got another $20.00, went back in, and when I got to the counter, they handed my the report, and didn't charge me.

Now, I was trying to figure out how they know who I was at first, until I realized, I've been in there numerous times to have different pistols registered. I guess, for some reason among all the people that come in there, I must have stuck out for some reason.

But I have to say, all the LPD officers I've ever encountered have been nice, and polite.

Last edited: