Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peters Gun Range "NO OC".

Unhappy Peters Gun Range "NO OC".

I just spoke to Peters Gun Range and they did affirm what I read before,that they only allow CC.The reason that was stated is the same anti-gun myth you've heard many times before,it's a safety issue,they don't want a bunch of people running around OCing,this is not the old west,someone might grab your gun.I told him to do some research and find any instances of that happeneing,he said he doesn't have to,that you can OC anywhere you want but not here.I told him he would lose customers,he said he wouldn't,I told him he just lost several,because I was going to take my wife,neighbor and others there to shoot there.Only the workers are aloud to OC,wouldn't someone take their guns?Just another range that lacks understanding and holds onto anti-gun myths!

Brown Bear Sporting Goods does allow OC! They're at 46853 Gratiot,Chesterfield TWP,MI.I believe it's near 21 mile.Been there,they're friendly and understanding.Give em a try,you'll like em!
    Last edited by hamaneggs; 09-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    I just spoke to Peters Gun Range and they did affirm what I read before,that they only allow CC.The reason that was stated is the same anti-gun myth you've heard many times before,it's a safety issue,they don't want a bunch of people running around OCing,this is not the old west,someone might grab your gun.I told him to do some research and find any instances of that happeneing,he said he doesn't have to,that you can OC anywhere you want but not here.I told him he would lose customers,he said he wouldn't,I told him he just lost several,because I was going to take my wife,neighbor and others there to shoot there.Only the workers are aloud to OC,wouldn't someone take their guns?Just another range that lacks understanding and holds onto anti-gun myths!
    An opinion of mine follows:

These, and all the other hysteric excuses heard, have nothing to do with OC what so ever. Even anti gunners understand that it isn't about the gun at all.... but it has everything to do with the person uttering them wanting to be top dog. It is about the person "feeling" his/her importance, significance, and ability to dominate!, being diminished. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.

Just like the macho guy who puffs up his chest and declares that a "real man" doesn't need a gun, or the guy with a gun is "compensating" for manly shortcomings.... is only trying to puff up his own ego because he intuitively knows the guy with the gun outdicked him without even bothering to get into a measuring contest. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Thanks, I already knew this. I bought my first gun from there. I later found out about OC at MichiGun (another anti-OC shop). I heard on here they dont allow OC at Peter's but chose to get my membership there for simply selfish and locational reasons. They are about 3 miles from me and I dont have my own car. The only way I get there is if I borrow a car or ride my bike, so it had to be close.

It is really ridiculous that the only place I have un-tucked my shirt before entering, since I received my CPL, is the range where I bought and shoot my gun.

Range money is all they get from me now, so they definitely lost some business. I bought my 2nd gun from Brown Bear but their range membership/fees are ridiculous and they are 3 - 4 times farther away. I wasn't happy with my purchase from there due to the poor quality of customer service I received and they will likely never get another dime of mine either.

Hopefully I have a car next year and Target Sports can get my range business, as long as they will allow me to OC in and then shoot that same gun on the range. They will likely be the next place I go to purchase a gun unless I am able to make it to Fenton sooner.

*ETA: All of their reasons boil down to one simple reason they dont allow OC, but OC themselves: Tactical Advantage.
    Last edited by fozzy71; 09-09-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Frankly I won't have anything to do with any range, gun shop, or gun club, that doesn't understand the U.S. BOR's 2nd Amendment... Michigan's Constitution... or the law.

For me...

No OC allowed..
    No CC allowed..
    No draw from holster allowed..
    No rapid fire allowed..

Equals-----

NO money, NO support, NO recommendations from me allowed! Quite the opposite for I will spend money elsewhere and definitely will tell everyone I know to avoid such a place.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned
    I called them and asked if they would allow OC in there store. He said " No we do not" My response was " Oh, ok, well nevermind then." He said "thank you" and hung up.

If we do not let people like that know about their loss of business, then they won't know that they are losing out.

i did the range part of my CPL class at peter's. not the nicest place, but only 2ish miles from home.

also, i think bikenut hit the nail on the head.

Well it's simple BOYCOTT Peters Gun range, my wallet follows my rights closely. VERY closely!

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post

Brown Bear Sporting Goods does allow OC! They're at 46853 Gratiot,Chesterfield TWP,MI.I believe it's near 21 mile.Been there,they're friendly and understanding.Give em a try,you'll like em!
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

You hit the nail right on the head, it is entirely about controlling others. I do like the outdicked term may I use that in the future lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    An opinion of mine follows:

These, and all the other hysteric excuses heard, have nothing to do with OC what so ever. Even anti gunners understand that it isn't about the gun at all.... but it has everything to do with the person uttering them wanting to be top dog. It is about the person "feeling" his/her importance, significance, and ability to dominate!, being diminished. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.

Just like the macho guy who puffs up his chest and declares that a "real man" doesn't need a gun, or the guy with a gun is "compensating" for manly shortcomings.... is only trying to puff up his own ego because he intuitively knows the guy with the gun outdicked him without even bothering to get into a measuring contest. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

My buddy and I went to Target in RO today to shoot. It was my first time using their range, but I've been in there a few times prior. Everytime I've been in there, including today, the staff was very friendly, curteous, and accommodating! Oh yeah, and OC friendly!! Peter's is much closer for me, but since they do not support OC I will not support them! Btw I OC'ed in Michigun a couple weeks ago and nothing was said to me, I know that at least one employee noticed. I don't know if this is a reflection of their policy, but they didn't say anything to me. I actually plan on going back to pick up a range bag that I wanted, so I guess we'll see what happens then.

I spoke with Michigun several months ago about their no OC policy. It has since been changed. I've been in there several times since without issue. Both Target Sports are OC friendly. I've spoken with the owner at Peter's, as I live 1/2 mile from there. They will not change their policy.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    I spoke with Michigun several months ago about their no OC policy. It has since been changed. I've been in there several times since without issue. Both Target Sports are OC friendly. I've spoken with the owner at Peter's, as I live 1/2 mile from there. They will not change their policy.
    That leaves only one clear option then.....

I shoot exclusively outdoors, even in winter. Once in a great while I will go to an indoor range (none close to my location at this time). I wouldn't consider one that didn't support OC now.
    ‎"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    we need to make sure the OC friendly shooting ranges are on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I called them and asked if they would allow OC in there store. He said " No we do not" My response was " Oh, ok, well nevermind then." He said "thank you" and hung up.

If we do not let people like that know about their loss of business, then they won't know that they are losing out.
    Gimme a break, you would never have spent a dime there.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    That is great to know that MichiGun has changed their policy. They may get some of my business again.

I will be sure to let Peter's know that I spend the rest of my money at OC friendly places, and dont plan to renew my membership there when it expires. I wanted to be sure I could go to the range at least twice a month and unfortunately Peter's is my only option without my own dependable transportation.
    Last edited by fozzy71; 09-10-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Gimme a break, you would never have spent a dime there.
    Never said I would.

I could have sworn I talked to a Peters employee at the warren OC picnic.
    But I could be mistaken.

OC'd in Walmart no issues, and threw on my jacket so I could CC in Peter's for some range time. I mentioned their shiny 'no open carry' signs and that I wouldn't be buying any more weapons from them, and got a reply from one of the guys that surprised me. It was the exact reason I expected they chose to not allow OC, but I didn't think any of them would actually admit it.

To paraphrase: 'The exact reason you OC guys advocate OC, is the reason we don't allow it. We have the tactical advantage if we OC and the bad guys that are attempting to rob us have to draw a concealed weapon'.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Angry Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

OC'd in Walmart no issues, and threw on my jacket so I could CC in Peter's for some range time. I mentioned their shiny 'no open carry' signs and that I wouldn't be buying any more weapons from them, and got a reply from one of the guys that surprised me. It was the exact reason I expected they chose to not allow OC, but I didn't think any of them would actually admit it.

To paraphrase: 'The exact reason you OC guys advocate OC, is the reason we don't allow it. We have the tactical advantage if we OC and the bad guys that are attempting to rob us have to draw a concealed weapon'.

What a bunch of A$$Hats. Any Bad Guy who knows their way around a Shotgun will chew them up & take their "TactiTroll" advantage away. This would be why a thinking owner would want OC customers...you know ones that can defend themselves & the store employees if all hell breaks loose! IDIOTS!

And, of course, the bad guys will be CC'ing because they saw the sign and are obeying it:

Bad guy: "Well, we were about to go in and rob the gun store with our guns in our hands and ready to go, but they got that darn 'No OC' sign on the door. So being the rule-abiding bad guys that we are, we CC'd and that's how they beat us to the draw and we got caught."

Obviously, an IQ above room temperature is not possessed by the ownership and management of Peters.
    Last edited by DanM; 09-29-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Do-it-yourself Gun Free Zones

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

We have a gun store/range in Spokane Washington that does not allow OC. We were told it scares the new customers....

Banned
    mmmkayyy

Hopefully I have a car next year and Target Sports can get my range business, as long as they will allow me to OC in and then shoot that same gun on the range. They will likely be the next place I go to purchase a gun unless I am able to make it to Fenton sooner.
    From a practical standpoint, it's usually not a good idea to use your carry weapon at a range, except when it's not your current carry weapon. It's like, if I'm going to take my 1911 to the range, my carry weapon is my Taurus PT92.

If what you want to shoot is your only weapon, then I guess you have little choice. But, I usually try to avoid that situation as much as possible.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Frankly I won't have anything to do with any range, gun shop, or gun club, that doesn't understand the U.S. BOR's 2nd Amendment... Michigan's Constitution... or the law.

For me...

No OC allowed..
    No CC allowed..
    No draw from holster allowed..
    No rapid fire allowed..

Equals-----

NO money, NO support, NO recommendations from me allowed! Quite the opposite for I will spend money elsewhere and definitely will tell everyone I know to avoid such a place.
    I don't know about your area, but I don't know of any public range that allows drawing from the holster. Most, just don't allow it. Rapid fire is another thing also, at some public ranges. They always tell me it's a "safety issue" for both items.

I sort of understand that. They have a blanket policy, which they apply to everyone. Since they don't know if you're proficient with firearms, or a total brain wipe. Gun clubs might be the better way to go.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Banned
    I don't use ranges that have silly policies like "you can't shoot your carry weapon" .
    What's the logic behind that anyhow?
    Last edited by stainless1911; 09-30-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast