• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peters Gun Range "NO OC".

Haman J.T.

I just spoke to Peters Gun Range and they did affirm what I read before,that they only allow CC.The reason that was stated is the same anti-gun myth you've heard many times before,it's a safety issue,they don't want a bunch of people running around OCing,this is not the old west,someone might grab your gun.I told him to do some research and find any instances of that happeneing,he said he doesn't have to,that you can OC anywhere you want but not here.I told him he would lose customers,he said he wouldn't,I told him he just lost several,because I was going to take my wife,neighbor and others there to shoot there.Only the workers are aloud to OC,wouldn't someone take their guns?Just another range that lacks understanding and holds onto anti-gun myths!

Brown Bear Sporting Goods does allow OC! They're at 46853 Gratiot,Chesterfield TWP,MI.I believe it's near 21 mile.Been there,they're friendly and understanding.Give em a try,you'll like em!

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

I just spoke to Peters Gun Range and they did affirm what I read before,that they only allow CC.The reason that was stated is the same anti-gun myth you've heard many times before,it's a safety issue,they don't want a bunch of people running around OCing,this is not the old west,someone might grab your gun.I told him to do some research and find any instances of that happeneing,he said he doesn't have to,that you can OC anywhere you want but not here.I told him he would lose customers,he said he wouldn't,I told him he just lost several,because I was going to take my wife,neighbor and others there to shoot there.Only the workers are aloud to OC,wouldn't someone take their guns?Just another range that lacks understanding and holds onto anti-gun myths!

An opinion of mine follows:

These, and all the other hysteric excuses heard, have nothing to do with OC what so ever. Even anti gunners understand that it isn't about the gun at all.... but it has everything to do with the person uttering them wanting to be top dog. It is about the person "feeling" his/her importance, significance, and ability to dominate!, being diminished. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.

Just like the macho guy who puffs up his chest and declares that a "real man" doesn't need a gun, or the guy with a gun is "compensating" for manly shortcomings.... is only trying to puff up his own ego because he intuitively knows the guy with the gun outdicked him without even bothering to get into a measuring contest. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.

fozzy71

Thanks, I already knew this. I bought my first gun from there. I later found out about OC at MichiGun (another anti-OC shop). I heard on here they dont allow OC at Peter's but chose to get my membership there for simply selfish and locational reasons. They are about 3 miles from me and I dont have my own car. The only way I get there is if I borrow a car or ride my bike, so it had to be close.

It is really ridiculous that the only place I have un-tucked my shirt before entering, since I received my CPL, is the range where I bought and shoot my gun. :banghead:

Range money is all they get from me now, so they definitely lost some business. I bought my 2nd gun from Brown Bear but their range membership/fees are ridiculous and they are 3 - 4 times farther away. I wasn't happy with my purchase from there due to the poor quality of customer service I received and they will likely never get another dime of mine either.

Hopefully I have a car next year and Target Sports can get my range business, as long as they will allow me to OC in and then shoot that same gun on the range. They will likely be the next place I go to purchase a gun unless I am able to make it to Fenton sooner.

*ETA: All of their reasons boil down to one simple reason they dont allow OC, but OC themselves: Tactical Advantage. :D

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Frankly I won't have anything to do with any range, gun shop, or gun club, that doesn't understand the U.S. BOR's 2nd Amendment... Michigan's Constitution... or the law.

For me...

No OC allowed..
No CC allowed..
No draw from holster allowed..
No rapid fire allowed..

Equals-----

NO money, NO support, NO recommendations from me allowed! Quite the opposite for I will spend money elsewhere and definitely will tell everyone I know to avoid such a place.

stainless1911

Banned
I called them and asked if they would allow OC in there store. He said " No we do not" My response was " Oh, ok, well nevermind then." He said "thank you" and hung up.

If we do not let people like that know about their loss of business, then they won't know that they are losing out.

Bailenforcer

Well it's simple BOYCOTT Peters Gun range, my wallet follows my rights closely. VERY closely!

Brown Bear Sporting Goods does allow OC! They're at 46853 Gratiot,Chesterfield TWP,MI.I believe it's near 21 mile.Been there,they're friendly and understanding.Give em a try,you'll like em!

Bailenforcer

You hit the nail right on the head, it is entirely about controlling others. I do like the outdicked term may I use that in the future lol.

An opinion of mine follows:

These, and all the other hysteric excuses heard, have nothing to do with OC what so ever. Even anti gunners understand that it isn't about the gun at all.... but it has everything to do with the person uttering them wanting to be top dog. It is about the person "feeling" his/her importance, significance, and ability to dominate!, being diminished. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.

Just like the macho guy who puffs up his chest and declares that a "real man" doesn't need a gun, or the guy with a gun is "compensating" for manly shortcomings.... is only trying to puff up his own ego because he intuitively knows the guy with the gun outdicked him without even bothering to get into a measuring contest. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.

RenegadeMarine

My buddy and I went to Target in RO today to shoot. It was my first time using their range, but I've been in there a few times prior. Everytime I've been in there, including today, the staff was very friendly, curteous, and accommodating! Oh yeah, and OC friendly!! Peter's is much closer for me, but since they do not support OC I will not support them! Btw I OC'ed in Michigun a couple weeks ago and nothing was said to me, I know that at least one employee noticed. I don't know if this is a reflection of their policy, but they didn't say anything to me. I actually plan on going back to pick up a range bag that I wanted, so I guess we'll see what happens then.

sprinklerguy28

I spoke with Michigun several months ago about their no OC policy. It has since been changed. I've been in there several times since without issue. Both Target Sports are OC friendly. I've spoken with the owner at Peter's, as I live 1/2 mile from there. They will not change their policy.

Agent1

I spoke with Michigun several months ago about their no OC policy. It has since been changed. I've been in there several times since without issue. Both Target Sports are OC friendly. I've spoken with the owner at Peter's, as I live 1/2 mile from there. They will not change their policy.

That leaves only one clear option then.....:D

I shoot exclusively outdoors, even in winter. Once in a great while I will go to an indoor range (none close to my location at this time). I wouldn't consider one that didn't support OC now.

fozzy71

I called them and asked if they would allow OC in there store. He said " No we do not" My response was " Oh, ok, well nevermind then." He said "thank you" and hung up.

If we do not let people like that know about their loss of business, then they won't know that they are losing out.

Gimme a break, you would never have spent a dime there.

That is great to know that MichiGun has changed their policy. They may get some of my business again.

I will be sure to let Peter's know that I spend the rest of my money at OC friendly places, and dont plan to renew my membership there when it expires. I wanted to be sure I could go to the range at least twice a month and unfortunately Peter's is my only option without my own dependable transportation.

Last edited:

G22

I could have sworn I talked to a Peters employee at the warren OC picnic.
But I could be mistaken.

fozzy71

OC'd in Walmart no issues, and threw on my jacket so I could CC in Peter's for some range time. I mentioned their shiny 'no open carry' signs and that I wouldn't be buying any more weapons from them, and got a reply from one of the guys that surprised me. It was the exact reason I expected they chose to not allow OC, but I didn't think any of them would actually admit it.

To paraphrase: 'The exact reason you OC guys advocate OC, is the reason we don't allow it. We have the tactical advantage if we OC and the bad guys that are attempting to rob us have to draw a concealed weapon'.

:D

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

OC'd in Walmart no issues, and threw on my jacket so I could CC in Peter's for some range time. I mentioned their shiny 'no open carry' signs and that I wouldn't be buying any more weapons from them, and got a reply from one of the guys that surprised me. It was the exact reason I expected they chose to not allow OC, but I didn't think any of them would actually admit it.

To paraphrase: 'The exact reason you OC guys advocate OC, is the reason we don't allow it. We have the tactical advantage if we OC and the bad guys that are attempting to rob us have to draw a concealed weapon'.

:D

What a bunch of A$$Hats. Any Bad Guy who knows their way around a Shotgun will chew them up & take their "TactiTroll" advantage away. This would be why a thinking owner would want OC customers...you know ones that can defend themselves & the store employees if all hell breaks loose! IDIOTS!

DanM

And, of course, the bad guys will be CC'ing because they saw the sign and are obeying it:

Bad guy: "Well, we were about to go in and rob the gun store with our guns in our hands and ready to go, but they got that darn 'No OC' sign on the door. So being the rule-abiding bad guys that we are, we CC'd and that's how they beat us to the draw and we got caught."

Obviously, an IQ above room temperature is not possessed by the ownership and management of Peters.

Last edited: