• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peters Gun Range "NO OC".

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Hopefully I have a car next year and Target Sports can get my range business, as long as they will allow me to OC in and then shoot that same gun on the range. They will likely be the next place I go to purchase a gun unless I am able to make it to Fenton sooner.
From a practical standpoint, it's usually not a good idea to use your carry weapon at a range, except when it's not your current carry weapon. It's like, if I'm going to take my 1911 to the range, my carry weapon is my Taurus PT92.

If what you want to shoot is your only weapon, then I guess you have little choice. But, I usually try to avoid that situation as much as possible.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Frankly I won't have anything to do with any range, gun shop, or gun club, that doesn't understand the U.S. BOR's 2nd Amendment... Michigan's Constitution... or the law.

For me...

No OC allowed..
No CC allowed..
No draw from holster allowed..
No rapid fire allowed..

Equals-----

NO money, NO support, NO recommendations from me allowed! Quite the opposite for I will spend money elsewhere and definitely will tell everyone I know to avoid such a place.
I don't know about your area, but I don't know of any public range that allows drawing from the holster. Most, just don't allow it. Rapid fire is another thing also, at some public ranges. They always tell me it's a "safety issue" for both items.

I sort of understand that. They have a blanket policy, which they apply to everyone. Since they don't know if you're proficient with firearms, or a total brain wipe. Gun clubs might be the better way to go.

scot623

I've never heard of the policy "you can't shoot your carry weapon". I simply put my carry gun on the shooting bench and shoot it accordingly. Would I like to draw from a holster...hell yeah, do I understand why it's not allowed..yup. I see the bullet holes in the walls, ceiling and the shooting bench.

fozzy71

fwiw the guy next to me also was firing 2 guns, his EDC and another, same as I was. He was drawing his EDC from his crossbreed supertuck and double-tapping. I was warned against it before I had a range membership, so I havent done any drawing/firing, but I might do some now that I have my membership.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
An opinion of mine follows:

These, and all the other hysteric excuses heard, have nothing to do with OC what so ever. Even anti gunners understand that it isn't about the gun at all.... but it has everything to do with the person uttering them wanting to be top dog. It is about the person "feeling" his/her importance, significance, and ability to dominate!, being diminished. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.

Just like the macho guy who puffs up his chest and declares that a "real man" doesn't need a gun, or the guy with a gun is "compensating" for manly shortcomings.... is only trying to puff up his own ego because he intuitively knows the guy with the gun outdicked him without even bothering to get into a measuring contest. It's an ego, and desire to dominate/control, thing.

I think this is true for most things in life. :D

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I don't use ranges that have silly policies like "you can't shoot your carry weapon" .
What's the logic behind that anyhow:cuss:?
I never said it was a range policy. I said I recommend against it. DOH!! ;)

Practicality for one thing. You go to the range, you shoot your carry weapon, it gets dirty. Now, either you pay for the extra time it takes you to clean it there, or you take it home to clean it. But, just suppose, on your way home, you find yourself in a situation where you need your weapon.

You pull it out, and maybe something doesn't work right, because it's dirty. Or maybe it does work right, the police show up, it looks like you've been in a massive firefight, rather than firing the 2.5 rounds that the average gun fight lasts for. Maybe you have your receipt from the range, and maybe you don't. If you went to a DNR range, there's no receipt, for most of them. (Island Lake being the exception I know of).

Now, I'm sure you'll get it straightened out eventually, but, it could very easily increase the amount of time that you are a guest of the local PD. If you don't mind, I don't either. But then I'm not the one shooting his carry weapon of the day at the range.

NHCGRPR45

agreed, if you think your firearm will fail in ANYWAY after a few hundred rounds or less because its to dirty due to the particular course of fire then you MUST sell it and buy a weapon that will function reliably. glock, sig, S&W, H&K, FN, Walther, browning, colt, or a host of other firearms this shouldn't be a problem. you most likely have 1 of the above. you should reasonably expect to be able to go 1,000 rounds or more of ammo without a detail cleaning other than a few drops of oil, if that.

now if you do have 1 of the above and it fails and the only reason you think it failed is because its dirty, then your probably wrong. it may be an issue with the gun unrelated or contributing to being dirty and then it needs to go to a smith or the original manufacturer for repair or tuning.. now if your gun is a 1911 type, of a reputable manufacturer, other than taurus then you shouldn't have an issue even after a 1,000 rounds of use. i have had many 1911's of all the above manufacturers who make them. cleaning after every time you use them is a good idea, but not strictly absolutely needed, my S&W 1911 got cleaned every 500 - 800 rounds. my nighthawk went as many as 2500 rounds before it first deatail cleaning. all it needed was a drop or 2 of oil on the rails and a drop on the sear.

IMO any good condition newly manufactured firearm from any of the above manufactures will not fail just because you shot a few hundred rounds through it.

now after saying that, do i recomend not cleaning your carry gun after use, no. when you get home or before you plan on carring your primary defense gun, you should probably clean it. but its not strictly needed. if it makes you feel better thats fine also. i am only saying that its most likely not needed.

now if you use corrosive ammo in some of the older rifles or old surplus ammo then yes it needs to be cleaned at the end of the day. or if you use old surplus ammo in your carry gun then yes it should certainly be cleaned the same day. but not because its dirty, but because its an issue with the ammo and how it will ruin your barrel, and other internal components.

not trying to change your mind or get into a huge internet debate about gun cleaning. but i am saying that you don't need to worry to much about a good gun failing because you shot it at the range.

fozzy71

I guess I succeeded in derailing this thread. :monkey

I never said I didn't clean it after every trip to the range, only that I hadn't cleaned it YET. It get's cleaned after every trip to the range, but I am lazy sometimes, especially when I have 2 guns to clean. I tore down the 1911 after I got home, to clean it, but that is as far as I made it. Damn 60 hour weeks :uhoh:

I trust my FNP9 dirty or clean. 2k rounds and not a single FTF/FTE. :banana:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I guess I succeeded in derailing this thread. :monkey

I never said I didn't clean it after every trip to the range, only that I hadn't cleaned it YET. It get's cleaned after every trip to the range, but I am lazy sometimes, especially when I have 2 guns to clean. I tore down the 1911 after I got home, to clean it, but that is as far as I made it. Damn 60 hour weeks :uhoh:

I trust my FNP9 dirty or clean. 2k rounds and not a single FTF/FTE. :banana:

When I 1st got my Glock (1992) I pumped 500 rounds through it on day one (non-stop) just to see what would happen? Answer nothing but boom, boom, ..... Since, I have never doubted it's ability to fire clean or dirty. However, I freely admit - I usually break them down & clean ASAP after a range outing (I'm just old school). ;)

Yes Fozzy, Thread now completely off the rails.....I too suffer from the little nagging pistol voice saying "clean me, clean me, lazy bastard!" Until I have complied!

NHCGRPR45

back on topic, i was at peters range before they put there new window decoration, it was me and another ocer who may or may not have been some guy named scit or shot or something like like that,,,,:confused: anyway, while that guy was shopping for a holster one of the shop employees made a comment that he was a criminal and saw me with my fancy 1911 then he would just shoot me and take it.

well there really much i could say about that so i let him have his little fantasy and kept my mouth shut. we left and that guy who may or may not be someone who runs something bought his holster elsewhere.

and i am not at all surprised that they now have a sign. go to michigun and talk to bob the owner, or adam they will gladly help you out. or drive out to target they will also be more than happy to take your hard fought pay!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I guess you guys missed that episode of CSI Miami where Speedle got killed because he didn't clean his weapon. :)

It's not about doubt. I have no doubts that my 1911 will continue to function after I put 1000 rounds through it, without cleaning it. But firearms are like any other tool. They work much better, when they are cleaned regularly. Besides, there is no way, I'd leave this:
P9070364.JPG

looking dirty for any longer than I had to. It would be like taking a corvette through a giant mud puddle and not cleaning it off before letting everyone see it.

Oh, the other thing, most (but probably not all) ranges usually have some silly rule that states firearms are to be unloaded before you enter the range.

Back on topic:
I wouldn't spend a dime in that anti-OC store, but I'd be sure to let the owner know that I'm not, and why.