• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all OC supporters

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Wisconsin Carry, Inc. www.wisconsincarry.org has been asked to participate in the Oktoberfest Parade on September 25, 2010. The La Crosse police chief has refused to give permission for WCI members to go armed, so this will be an empty holster demonstration. We will be handing out information on the Right To Keep And Bear Arms (RTKBA) in Wisconsin. We need ALL the volunteers we can find. If you are willing, please contact me.

Clarification:

I made a request on behalf of WCI a LONG time ago to the police chief for permission to carry in the parade. The chiefs response was "I can give no such permission."

Another WCI member sent a certified letter to the chief in May of this year, the chiefs reply was "" that's right, nothing, nada...

Then my summer went to heck and the ball got dropped, so we missed the opportunity to have a WCI entry.

Within the last week, WCI members were approached by both the LCRP and Dan Kapanke asking us to WALK in the parade. There are multiple issues with GFSZ, just like the Arcadia parade so it was decided that empty holster was the best course of action.

This is an opportunity to get the word out to thousands and when they ask about the "empty holster" it is our best opportunity to educate about this erroneous gun free school zone law. I will post the position in the parade along with the time/place to meet. We would like to have 30+ in the parade. YES, this is the same day as the Baraboo event, and YES, I will be trying to attend the Baraboo event.

The LCRP will be handling the logistics, as we are walking with them. I should have all the details by Monday. For those going to Baraboo, GREAT the more the merrier. For those who would rather go to the fest, would you be willing to walk the parade with your fellow WCI members.

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Gfsza

Gun Free School Zone Act. Cannot carry in the middle of the street without "license" ie permission. Chief says he grants NO-ONE permission.

We have done this in several smaller parades in the area, but this is a large 4+ hour parade and we would like to have a good showing in support of our RTKBA

professor gun

As far as I know the La Crosse police chief was not even consulted on this. This was a request from the folks who have a place in the parade lineup and were kind enough to invite representatives from WCI to march with them and hand out literature.

Am I missing something here?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Isn't this the same day as the open carry picnic in Baraboo?

I think this is the same day as the open carry picnic in Baraboo. We already have plans to go to the Baraboo picnic and on Sunday go to the next Starbucks/coffee meet. I just glanced at the dates so I could be mistaken??

Spartacus

Banned
I think this is the same day as the open carry picnic in Baraboo. We already have plans to go to the Baraboo picnic and on Sunday go to the next Starbucks/coffee meet. I just glanced at the dates so I could be mistaken??

It is indeed the same day... maybe we should do a protest march from La Crosse to Baraboo? lol

BROKENSPROKET

Yep, I'll be at the picnic. I don't do 'empty holster' very well.

johnny amish

As far as I know the La Crosse police chief was not even consulted on this. This was a request from the folks who have a place in the parade lineup and were kind enough to invite representatives from WCI to march with them and hand out literature.

Am I missing something here?

Dan Kapanke invited Woodchuck and I to be in the parade on behalf of Wisconsin Carry. Dan is cool with oc, we oc'ed with him in a parade on labor day. The La Crosse police chief is the one who is not ok with oc. The gfsz cause a lot of problems as most of the parade is in one. We could use a lot of help handing out literature.

professor gun

Dan Kapanke invited Woodchuck and I to be in the parade on behalf of Wisconsin Carry. Dan is cool with oc, we oc'ed with him in a parade on labor day. The La Crosse police chief is the one who is not ok with oc. The gfsz cause a lot of problems as most of the parade is in one. We could use a lot of help handing out literature.

So, will you be carrying in the parade?

professor gun

No, because of the gfsz. Holsters will be on but empty. I know this sucks but it is a great opportunity to hand out thousands of brochures. This is one of the largest parades in the state.

I agree. It is ridiculous to have to have an empty holster, but the plus is all the questions you get and the opportunity to educate. The La Crosse County Republican Party has also invited us to join their contingent representing WCI and our discussion was that we would have empty holsters and hand out literature. I am not sure if Kapanke will be separate from the LCRP folks or part of the same group. Perhaps we can coordinate if it would be helpful.

johnny amish

I agree. It is ridiculous to have to have an empty holster, but the plus is all the questions you get and the opportunity to educate. The La Crosse County Republican Party has also invited us to join their contingent representing WCI and our discussion was that we would have empty holsters and hand out literature. I am not sure if Kapanke will be separate from the LCRP folks or part of the same group. Perhaps we can coordinate if it would be helpful.

I think it would be great if we coordinate our efforts. Tomarrow I will be meeting with the folks at Dans office so I should have more info after that. I will ask them if they will be with the LCRP or walking seperate. I think this will be a great opportunity to educate, the challenge will be to reach as many of the parade watchers as possible, we are still short on help. We will no doubt have many questions about the empty holsters and the conversation should be entertaining.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Can't you just take your case with you and stop, unload and encase when you get to school zones?

Empty holsters sends a conflicting message... (I think)

Almost like "hey look, OC is legal (but we can't do it)

I think if you carried where you could, unloaded and encased where you couldn't, it would demonstrate the folly of the GFSZ

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
The stance of the La Crosse chief comes as no suprise as the Wisconsin Police Chiefs Association and WAVE have worked together for years to restrict Constitutional rights.

The La Crosse chief was an association board member when the association did everything they could including creating (with the assistance of WAVE???) "talking points" to stop concealed carry in 2003.

http://www.wichiefs.org/pdf/legislation/Wisconsin Chiefs Assoc.pdf

Last edited:

professor gun

I think it would be great if we coordinate our efforts. Tomarrow I will be meeting with the folks at Dans office so I should have more info after that. I will ask them if they will be with the LCRP or walking seperate. I think this will be a great opportunity to educate, the challenge will be to reach as many of the parade watchers as possible, we are still short on help. We will no doubt have many questions about the empty holsters and the conversation should be entertaining.

Whether they will march separately or in one group I think this provides us with opportunity. Let me know. I will be at the gun show Friday night and Sunday all day at the Onalaska Omni Center at either the La Crosse County Republican Party table or the WCI table. If you are there let's talk, or PM me.

professor gun

Can't you just take your case with you and stop, unload and encase when you get to school zones?

Empty holsters sends a conflicting message... (I think)

Almost like "hey look, OC is legal (but we can't do it)

I think if you carried where you could, unloaded and encased where you couldn't, it would demonstrate the folly of the GFSZ

Loading and unloading in the midst of a large group of people, many of whom are drunk and obnoxious would not be a very safe situation.
More effective I think:
Person: "Why do you have an empty holster?"
Me: "Because we are in a gun free school zone"
Person: "What? There is a school here? Where?"
Me: (Giving them a WCI pamphlet) " It is 900 feet away"

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I made a request on behalf of WCI a LONG time ago to the police chief for permission to carry in the parade. The chiefs response was "I can give no such permission."

Another WCI member sent a certified letter to the chief in May of this year, the chiefs reply was "" that's right, nothing, nada...

Then my summer went to heck and the ball got dropped, so we missed the opportunity to have a WCI entry.

Within the last week, WCI members were approached by both the LCRP and Dan Kapanke asking us to WALK in the parade. There are multiple issues with GFSZ, just like the Arcadia parade so it was decided that empty holster was the best course of action.

This is an opportunity to get the word out to thousands and when they ask about the "empty holster" it is our best opportunity to educate about this erroneous gun free school zone law. I will post the position in the parade along with the time/place to meet. We would like to have 30+ in the parade. YES, this is the same day as the Baraboo event, and YES, I will be trying to attend the Baraboo event.

The LCRP will be handling the logistics, as we are walking with them. I should have all the details by Monday. For those going to Baraboo, GREAT the more the merrier. For those who would rather go to the fest, would you be willing to walk the parade with your fellow WCI members.

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
Maybe I am wrong but this comes to mind,

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 21 > SUBCHAPTER I > § 1983

§ 1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights

Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer’s judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.

Maybe the chief needs a reminder.

Last edited: